PV Technique Help

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Re: PV Technique Help

Unread postby grandevaulter » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:54 pm

After looking at the video, the first thing that needs to be addressed is the sagging wrist pole carry. I still suggest that you read the book more carefully and watch the videos and take notes. The book advocates a controlled pole lowering, not a drop. It directs us to let the young vaulters swing and turn over a bunjee to get a pr. (keeps them interested and excited)

Souleman wrote:he can then get on bigger poles which in turn will return more energy and allow him to jump higher because of the higher grip caused by the shortening of the cord and stronger recoil.[/quote] he can then get on bigger poles which in turn will return more energy and allow him to jump higher because of the higher grip caused by the shortening of the cord and stronger recoil.[/quote]

Please clarify this statement and refer me to the page of the advantages of a stronger recoil and how the energy is returned. I have not seen this in the book. I have seen the Warmerdam/Bubka comparison that shows how Bubka could cover the pole because the additional duration of the swing allowed him.
Last edited by grandevaulter on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Unread postby botakatobi » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:45 pm

This is not my quote!

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:05 pm

Grandvaulter, It appears to me that you are more interested in arguing with me than giving MLean information that he can use. Coaching on line is very difficult at best. Alan says (at least he did last weekend at the clinic he conducted that I attended) that simpler is better. Some day you and I can argue semantics and what we perceive but for now and the remainder of this thread I will respectfully ask that we stick to what can help this vaulter. A weightless pole drop in my world (and Alan's based on what I heard him say last weekend) is controlled yes but it is a drop. It can be done with one hand (in demonstration). Before we get to this with this vaulter I would like to see him start at the top of the runway with his shoulders square and correct carry,elbows in. Keep in mind he's a lefty and the left hand should be at the hip and the right hand about 4 inches or so out in front of his sternum. Pole tip high. After good push off with left foot with roll over of the right foot he begins his run-up. Body posture should be the same as sprinter once that sprinter has reached his max velocity posture with the pole in his original start position. Pelvis aligned in an upright position and not tilted forward or downward. This posture should be maintained through out the run up and but for a brief dip at the penultimate which will put the take off leg in a more powerful position to jump stay in that max velocity posture. Pole drop begins so after max velocity is reached. Keep in mind if the vaulters run is shorter he or she needs to accommodate for that. Then around step 6 (from take off) pole tip has been dropped to about 45 degrees then the drop continues during during final steps 1-2-3-plant-2-3. Right hand should not variate much throughout initial run-up till "plant - 2- 3" serving as a fulcrum and should not ever drop at any time during the run - up. At "plant" the right hand moves forward just a tad to start the plant. At the second "2" his left hand should be just slightly above fore head and the final "3" both hands push up with his right leg jumping (preferably before the tip hits the backboard) That's probably what you're pointing out the "controlled" part and yes that makes sense.

MLein50
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Unread postby MLein50 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:12 pm

Hey quick question. While I'm waiting for my DVD to ship could someone explain to me what ostriches and 20/20's are? I've never heard of them.

souleman
PV Lover

Unread postby souleman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:36 am

20/20's are pole carry runs. The object is to get 20 high knee driving steps in in 20 meters (66 feet) . Correct tall posture is mandatory and should be monitored during this. Don't forget, with all running your left hand should be at your hip and your right hand just in front of your sternum. Ostriches are harder to explain and maybe Grandvaulter or someone else can direct you to a video of what they look like. I'm just heading out the door for work and I'll be out of town for a couple of days so I might not be able to get you that as soon as the others can.

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.

Unread postby grandevaulter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:16 pm

I liken the osstrich step to a B skip without a skip. Keep foot dorsiflexed on back and forward stride. Lift knee until thigh is paralell with the ground, then reach out with the lower leg, foot striking ahead of the normal com. Maintain correct pole carry and torsoe position.

grandevaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby grandevaulter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:52 pm

Wish I could have been at the clinic Souleman. However if the kid wants to learn the technique described in the book, you must reference those parts from the book. It appears that you are using some other information. No drop, no one arm drills.

MLein50
PV Newbie

Unread postby MLein50 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:10 pm

Okay. Had a pretty successful day at camp yesterday. I spent about an hour and a half just doing drills and only took 5 full jumps. The main issues I was trying to address yesterday was my wrist and my bent over run. I think I gradually got better at those two things which are evident in my jumps. I did have one of my drills recorded just for feedback on that. I also felt like the last jump of the day (my second one at 13) was my best. I know that my plant and takeoff are still bad, but I am trying to address the issues leading up to those first. Here is the link again.

http://mlpolevault.weebly.com/summer-camp.html

souleman
PV Lover

Unread postby souleman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:01 pm

Not bad on your sand pit jump. Your top arm stayed straight which means you were "pushing" rather than pulling.The idea is to stay behind the pole with your left foot tucked under you butt and your trail leg behind the pole as it moves forward. At the clinic Alan had our vaulters raise grip by a fist each rep till they stalled. Then we had them lower by two fingers and work it trying to get into the pit and keeping the same technical form. Keep at this till you get you DVD and then once you get it you will see the next progression.

I've got a couple of videos for you to watch. Similar approaches that you will see on your BTB DVD. First is a pole drop exercise demonstrated by Tim Mack.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1746628628096&set=vb.139924549384959&type=2&theater

Next is Dave Butlers explanation of a desired pole carry and drop
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1746628628096&set=vb.139924549384959&type=2&theater

Finally an overview with some very good points from a seminar that Dave Butler did at Reno in I believe 2007. Dave Butler is the mens vault coach at Rice University and considered on of the better coaches in the country.

These will give you something to watch and work on while you are waiting for your DVD and book. Good luck
Mike

MLein50
PV Newbie

Unread postby MLein50 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:38 am

Mike I could only view the Tim Mack drill because they were all the same link. So could you find the actual links for the Dave Butler stuff. Also what did you see in my regular jumps? Have I improved from last week?

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:41 pm

There is no pole DROP!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

souleman
PV Lover

Unread postby souleman » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:10 pm

Dave Butler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-SSah2B6Xnw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv13WyyucmE

Mlien, I hope you can see these. Alan and Grand, you say tomato and I'll say tomaato, you say potato and I'll say potaato. Now cut it out and let's help this kid and please don't say I'm not. The physical action of the pole tip from 70 degrees at the top of the runway to the box is that it goes down and that's why I'm sure that Dave Butler, and Tim Mack and I as well as many other coaches call it a drop. SHEESH!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”