PV Technique Help

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
MLein50
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Re: PV Technique Help

Unread postby MLein50 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:18 am

I live in Pennsylvania. The camp I am going to isn't really structured. The coach there just said she had the camp so we could jump during the summer. And I really am trying to get better at everything. I do the most drills out of everyone whether it is in this camp or before a meet. Everyone says I always look so great in drills and then I'm not good during the actual vault, but I'm working on it. I have bent poles really well before (not saying that my technique was good, but I have bent the pole, so I am capable). I am also confused by you saying that I should work on everything at once? Shouldn't I master one step at a time. Did you see any improvement at all between Tuesday and Thursday? The coach said she did and when I analyzed my videos I did too. It's not like you can build a house in one day.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:22 am

As to improvement I saw a little in your run up but you were still leaning too far over. You didn't look like Bubka. Now, let's get back to this bending pole thing. The only advantage to a bending pole is that it shortens the cord between your grip and the pole tip. With correct technique you can take advantage of that and grip higher. If you have bad technique and grip higher you end up in the box. With correct technique the pole will bend on it's own which allows you to get on stiffer poles and jump higher.
You wrote:"I have bent poles really well before (not saying that my technique was good, but I have bent the pole, so I am capable)"
. My question is capable of what? Bending a pole or jumping high?
You wrote, "I am also confused by you saying that I should work on everything at once? Shouldn't I master one step at a time"
. If you read it again that is what I said. My apologies if I wasn't clear. You are absolutely right with mastering each stage separately.
You wrote, "The coach said she did and when I analyzed my videos I did too"
. Be sure you are looking for the right thing. Here again is where you need to compare against a video of an elite vaulter (might as well use Bubka or Isy for that) and if you don't look like them then go back and work on it again until you do. Seriously, you are asking some very good questions so I think you are committed to this event. Just PLEASE don't let yourself get too far ahead of the process where you are short cutting.

The following is a pyramid that we use as a guide to our practices. We meet once a week for 2 and a half hours. We will spend a whole day working on each piece of the pyramid until the vaulters can do it correctly. Each session we add a section till finally we do the whole pyramid before we even get to the pit. For 7 weeks this is all we do. After that the whole pyramid becomes the session warm up. As a reward I will let some of the more accomplished vaulters take a few jumps at a bar or bungee at the end of the session. The younger or less accomplished keep work on that day's drills during the "free jump" time at the end of our sessions. Hopefully it may give you a little direction. All of the drills are spelled out in Beginner to Bubka, both in the book and on the DVD.

1. RUN/CARRY
20/20’s
Ostriches
Straight Legs
In and Outs

2.DROP/PLANT
Standing 3‐Count
Walking 6‐Step
Trotting 6‐Step
Running 6‐Step

3. RUNUP
Walk with Pole Drop
5 Step Check
Trot with Pole Drop
Run w/Drop & Jump
Stabilization

4.TAKEOFF
JumpOver: Ground
JumpOver: Sand Pit
JumpOver: Pit[/img]

5.SWING
High Bar Swings
High Bar Run & Jump
Stiff Pole Into Pit
Stiff Pole w/Bungee

6. TURN
Stiff Pole Into Pit
Stiff Pole w/Bungee

7. VAULT
Soft Pole
Regular Pole

MLein50
PV Newbie

Unread postby MLein50 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:57 am

. My question is capable of what? Bending a pole or jumping high?

I am capable of bending a pole. Jumping high, I am still working on. I am also pretty sure that is why my takeoff isn't that good most of the time. Correct?

Here again is where you need to compare against a video of an elite vaulter

Do you think I should compare to Bubka or go with a left handed vaulter since I am left handed. Most of the time I use my buddy Chris Williams (Pennsylvania State Record holder for high school, 16'6", currently at the University of Washington, his PR now is 17'3"). I will still use Bubka most of the time since his technique is almost flawless. I have also used Stacy Dragalia before, but it is easier for me to see a left handed male.

Seriously, you are asking some very good questions so I think you are committed to this event.

I am extremely committed to this and anything I do. I always wanted to Pole vault since I was little so it's just awesome that I'm living my dream and that's why I want to improve as much as I can so I can keep my dream living. I will hopefully be getting the DVD soon. Also Chris and I are meeting up hopefully soon and he said he is going to give me a book that explains everything really well. Once I get it, I'll share the title on here. Thanks again for all the advice. When I have camp again on Tuesday, I will do mainly drills. However I still want to take 3-4 full jumps just so everyone can see my progress and maybe I will have some drills recorded too.

souleman
PV Lover

Unread postby souleman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:29 pm

OK my boy, let's get this straight once and for all. YOU CAUSING THE POLE TO BEND DOES NOT MAKE YOU JUMP HIGHER. IT IS NOT A DESIRED CONSCIOUS THING THAT YOU INITIATE IN THE POLE VAULT. IT JUST HAPPENS IF THE TECHNIQUE IS CORRECT. . Stay on the stiff poles as long as you can because it will require your technique to improve. At this point in your progress please do this one thing for me. If you feel the pole you are on (for now) is starting to bend a little, go grab a stiffer pole.
Use the few jumps as a reward to yourself for the effort you will put in on the drills. Let's face it, getting off the ground and hangin' on to a pole is a gas even if the jump itself is crappy. Using Bubka as a reference is still possible and recommended. If you need to, stick a mirror in front of your video screen and watch it from the other side. All of a sudden he's a lefty if you do that. Points I want you to see is run posture, what he looks like at his take off, how he covers the pole. Even he admits after take off he doesn't consciously feel or see what he does. Because he's done all of the ground work (drills) prior to the jump, it just happens. But first things first. Correct run with correct posture is imperative. Plant mechanics with proper pole drop is what you'll need to concentrate on first. I believe you can get the book and DVD from Becca here on PVP. Go to the store section on this site and see if she still offers it. Be careful that you limit yourself to one model (referring to the other book your friend is going to give you). Many times a vaulter will get confused as to what is expected if he has it told to him several different ways. I'd say, use the Launder BTB method and follow it through and stick with it. Good Luck, Keep pluggin' away at this.
Mike

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:38 pm

souleman wrote: The only advantage to a bending pole is that it shortens the cord between your grip and the pole tip.

Souleman my brother, you better crack that book open and read about the other advantages of bending the pole. There is a chapter about the flexible pole that tells all of the advantages. Also talks about using a lighter pole to get a young vaulter used to vaulting with a flexible pole.

souleman
PV Lover

Unread postby souleman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:16 am

Grandvaulter, You must not have seen his video or read any of his comments. Yes there are many advantages to a bending pole but as Alan himself has said, American boys feel that they are pole vaulting if they can bend a pole (usually by blocking) and do a pop up, or as Alan calls it a rock back. There are times when those things do benefit a vaulter but it's later in their career. Way down the road from where this athlete is currently. Keep in mind, Bubka could straight pole around 15' 6" or better. He spent a lot of time in his work outs on a straight pole because like he said, "a flexible pole will hide flaws in technique". Mlean thinks that if he can bend a pole he will jump higher and my guess is he's intent on doing anything it takes to make it bend. He feels it's the magic bullet. As long as he thinks that and has people telling him that, he is going to do whatever possible to make that sucker bend. That won't happen at least with any benefit to him if the technique is not there (as I explained) . In conclusion, he doesn't need to concentrate on that right now. He needs to first learn how to run correctly, carry the pole correctly, drop the pole correctly, JUMP at take off, swing with a good trail leg, cover the pole and turn. All on a stiff pole. After these are master then you are right, soft pole swing throughs on the pit are done but only after the earlier parts are mastered. If he does all of those things then that pole will surely bend. When it does that because of his technique and not because of anything he is actively trying to do to make it happen, he can then get on bigger poles which in turn will return more energy and allow him to jump higher because of the higher grip caused by the shortening of the cord and stronger recoil. Now, did he really need to hear all of that? Maybe maybe not. My guess is he'll read what I just wrote and skip all the early stuff and go right to trying to make a bigger pole bend. A heart surgeon isn't expected to do heart surgery the first day of med school. He's taught in stages. That's all I'm trying to suggest here.

souleman
PV Lover

Unread postby souleman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:35 am

MLein, go to the address and take a look at the training pyramid. You start with number 1 and move through the pyramid as each section is mastered. For example when you get to 4, your workout for the day is to do all of 1, all of 2, all of 3 and then work on mastering 4. When you get through number 7 the whole pyramid becomes you pre-jump ritual. Pretty self explanatory but if you have questions just ask.
Later
Mike

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200897186726228&set=gm.148292842034708&type=1&theater

MLein50
PV Newbie

Unread postby MLein50 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:48 am

Mike do you have another link with the pyramid drills. I went to open it and it said that the content is unavailable. And no I did not skip all you wrote, I read all of it. I also watched a lot of Bubka and saw how my takeoff is. I altered my takeoff to make it look like my teammate's (video here http://youtube.com/watch?v=gWe-CpkY3qM) since he jumps higher than me, but I can clearly see now that was a mistake. I noticed how I am actually ready for my plant too early, as opposed to Bubka where his is just right on. I think the really problem I have (one of the bigger problems I should say) is lowering my pole. Watching Bubka, his pole is almost ready for takeoff before he moves his hands, and once he brings them up he is engaged in the plant with perfect timing.
Thanks again

Matt (MLein)

souleman
PV Lover

Unread postby souleman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:31 am

Try this
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/31558_10200897186726228_898635209_n.jpg

It maybe be that my co-coach down loaded it on our club's Facebook page which I have for a closed group. If you have a Facebook account go to G-Force Vault Club and request to join. Or PM me your email address and I'll add you to the group.
Mike

souleman
PV Lover

Unread postby souleman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:57 am

I also watched a lot of Bubka and saw how my takeoff is. I altered my takeoff to make it look like my teammate's (video here http://youtube.com/watch?v=gWe-CpkY3qM) since he jumps higher than me, but I can clearly see now that was a mistake. I noticed how I am actually ready for my plant too early, as opposed to Bubka where his is just right on. I think the really problem I have (one of the bigger problems I should say) is lowering my pole. Watching Bubka, his pole is almost ready for takeoff before he moves his hands, and once he brings them up he is engaged in the plant with perfect timing.

This is awesome that you are doing this and seeing the difference. Colin looks OK but there are some flaws (if we're going to stick entirely to the Petrov model) in his transition from pole carry to plant. Nothing big but just a few picky things. This is where it starts though with you. Being able to compare what you look like to Bubka is what you want to try to do. Might there be a few differences? Possibly, but if you stay the course it will work for you. Good Job!

MLein50
PV Newbie

Unread postby MLein50 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:33 pm

If you have a Facebook account go to G-Force Vault Club and request to join.

Thanks for the invite anyways, but I don't have a Facebook account for now, maybe after I get accepted into college I will (just so colleges can't research me in any possible negative way). The new link also worked, so I can see the pyramid. I have one question what is an Ostrich drill? I have never heard of that before.

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Unread postby botakatobi » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:17 pm

souleman wrote:Grandvaulter, You must not have seen his video or read any of his comments. Yes there are many advantages to a bending pole but as Alan himself has said, American boys feel that they are pole vaulting if they can bend a pole (usually by blocking) and do a pop up, or as Alan calls it a rock back. There are times when those things do benefit a vaulter but it's later in their career. Way down the road from where this athlete is currently. Keep in mind, Bubka could straight pole around 15' 6" or better. He spent a lot of time in his work outs on a straight pole because like he said, "a flexible pole will hide flaws in technique". Mlean thinks that if he can bend a pole he will jump higher and my guess is he's intent on doing anything it takes to make it bend. He feels it's the magic bullet. As long as he thinks that and has people telling him that, he is going to do whatever possible to make that sucker bend. That won't happen at least with any benefit to him if the technique is not there (as I explained) . In conclusion, he doesn't need to concentrate on that right now. He needs to first learn how to run correctly, carry the pole correctly, drop the pole correctly, JUMP at take off, swing with a good trail leg, cover the pole and turn. All on a stiff pole. After these are master then you are right, soft pole swing throughs on the pit are done but only after the earlier parts are mastered. If he does all of those things then that pole will surely bend. When it does that because of his technique and not because of anything he is actively trying to do to make it happen, he can then get on bigger poles which in turn will return more energy and allow him to jump higher because of the higher grip caused by the shortening of the cord and stronger recoil. Now, did he really need to hear all of that? Maybe maybe not. My guess is he'll read what I just wrote and skip all the early stuff and go right to trying to make a bigger pole bend. A heart surgeon isn't expected to do heart surgery the first day of med school. He's taught in stages. That's all I'm trying to suggest here.

I totally agree the beginning vaulter's focus should not be on bending the pole. However, no stiff pole vaulter I am aware of could or would ever cover the pole while vaulting. Their pull and turn occurred way before they reached a vertical position. I'm just curious which stiff vaulters you may or may not be referring to could cover the pole?
Last edited by botakatobi on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”