Taking off under!

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Lilmicmike
PV Beginner
Expertise: college freshmen
Lifetime Best: 17'2"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Taking off under!

Unread postby Lilmicmike » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:39 pm

I am going to be a junior in high school and my current pr is 15'. I am an athletic kid and manage to vault with taking off a foot under consistently. I should take off at 12'6" but I take off at 11 and it is not allowing me to get on my bigger poles. I have always struggled with this my entire pole vault career(two years). My approach run is good but my last4 steps I stride way out. I am too comfortable taking off under. I am asking for some drills or tips to take off correctly!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Taking off under!

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:57 pm

Lilmicmike wrote:I am going to be a junior in high school and my current pr is 15'. I am an athletic kid and manage to vault with taking off a foot under consistently. I should take off at 12'6" but I take off at 11 and it is not allowing me to get on my bigger poles. I have always struggled with this my entire pole vault career (two years). My approach run is good but my last 4 steps I stride way out. I am too comfortable taking off under. I am asking for some drills or tips to take off correctly!

Update your profile - it says your PR is 12 feet - not 15 feet. Was that your last year's PR? If so, you've made a great improvement in the past year! Please clarify.

It's good that you recognize that you're taking off too far "under", so I assume that you're striving for a free takeoff?

It's bad that you think your biggest issue (that you mention, at least) is that being under is "not allowing me to get on my bigger poles". It would be much better if you recognized that being under is preventing you from having a better swinging technique (like Bubka).

Re striding out in your last 4 steps, I recommend that you search for some of the posts that DJ has posted re this issue. Part of his recommended solution is to use a 6-step mid-mark. Search for some of his posts, and follow whatever advice you can discover re this, and you'll be on the right track to improve your technique.

There are also several other frequent posters on PVP that can also advise you (much better than I can) on the 6-step mid-mark technique, as well as how to solve the problem of over-striding on the last few strides - including drills.

And remember that improved technique leads to bigger poles, which in turn leads to higher bars.

Conversely, if you don't strive to improve your technique (if you only care about getting onto bigger poles), then you'll never get to the point of reaching your optimal PR.

Don't worry, bigger poles will come - once you improve your technique! :idea:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Lilmicmike
PV Beginner

Unread postby Lilmicmike » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:16 pm

Yes I don't want to sound like all my goal is to get on big poles but my take off is not helping my technique.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:54 pm

Lilmicmike wrote:Yes I don't want to sound like all my goal is to get on big poles but my take off is not helping my technique.
:yes:

BTW, you will probably discover that when you're successful in moving your takeoff out, you MAY need to use SMALLER poles! :idea:

This should not be an issue, since your emphasis should be TECHNIQUE before BIGGER POLES.

You will experience this if you've been pushing on the pole with your bottom arm BEFORE takeoff. If this is NOT what you've been doing, then ignore this caution.

Hopefully, when you take off at your ideal takeoff point, you won't have the issue of pushing with your bottom arm BEFORE takeoff. In fact, this would be almost impossible!

I would have to see a vid of your vault to know for sure exactly what you're doing at or near takeoff. If you have any vid, please feel free to post it.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Lilmicmike
PV Beginner

Unread postby Lilmicmike » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:20 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeV_TwbuPWY I should be taking off 6" infront of the paper.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:21 pm

Thanks for the vid.

Hmm... Leaning back during last few strides ... leaning back during plant ... leaning back on takeoff ... pushing with bottom arm before takeoff ... pushing with bottom arm after takeoff ...

You need a coach!

Time to search for DJ's mid-mark posts and get some advice on that.

Kirk

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby CoachEric » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:27 pm

You're decelerating in your last few steps because your pole tip is too high prior to initiating your plant. The pole tip should cross the plane of your face as you hit your left to start planting. And Kirk is right, you've got a lot more issues to correct with your approach run mechanics, so I recommend you get on the track and do about a million repetitions of your approach run this summer. Also don't forget to print out DJ's mid mark chart and learn it.

Lilmicmike
PV Beginner

Unread postby Lilmicmike » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:49 pm

KirkB wrote:Thanks for the vid.

Hmm... Leaning back during last few strides ... leaning back during plant ... leaning back on takeoff ... pushing with bottom arm before takeoff ... pushing with bottom arm after takeoff ...

You need a coach!

Time to search for DJ's mid-mark posts and get some advice on that.

Kirk

What do you mean pushing with my bottom arm?

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”