9 left hurt? Or help?

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Lilmicmike
PV Beginner
Expertise: college freshmen
Lifetime Best: 17'2"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

9 left hurt? Or help?

Unread postby Lilmicmike » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:41 pm

I am a junior in high school. I jumped 15'6 as a sophmore and currently am training with a private coach. We are training to peak with a 9 step. I still have to get stronger to vault from a 9. My trouble is that the coaches from other clubs and colleges are concerned that a 9 will hurt me more than help. They say colleges like 16' from a 7 than 17' from a 9. So I would love hear some opinions on the subject. Thanks

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: 9 left hurt? Or help?

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:49 am

Lilmicmike wrote:I am a junior in high school. I jumped 15'6 as a sophmore and currently am training with a private coach. We are training to peak with a 9 step. I still have to get stronger to vault from a 9. My trouble is that the coaches from other clubs and colleges are concerned that a 9 will hurt me more than help. They say colleges like 16' from a 7 than 17' from a 9. ...

You mean 9 LEFTS, right - not 9 STEPS?

If like you say, some college coaches are advising you that a 9 will hurt you more than help, then there's your answer. :dazed:

I would listen to your private coach, and ignore all other advice - there's nothing worse that conflicting advice. But let me get this straight - you're currently training with 7 lefts, but planning on working that up to 9 lefts? Or are you already training with 9 lefts?

At your age, I would focus more on getting faster and stronger, and improving your technique - so that you can clear higher bars. Seven lefts (14 steps) should be enough at your age, but it really depends on your sprinting and jumping ability, rather than on what college coaches are looking for. Vaulters that are sprinters (and can't jump) usually benefit from longer runs, and vaulters that are jumpers (and can't sprint) usually benefit from shorter runs.

I wouldn't worry so much about what your PR is with a 14 or 18 step run. There are bigger fish to fry in improving your technique and clearing higher bars.

I cannot imagine that there's some commonly known (but unwritten) expectation of a HS Jr. having a good PR from 7 rather than 9 lefts (or 9 rather than 7). If you're clearing some good bars, then they're not going to pass you up just because you use 9 lefts instead of 7! Or vice versa!

I'm curious how many lefts you used to clear 15-6 (7?), and what your PRs are with 7 or 9 (assuming that you've spent some time with each of those?

I suspect that the expectation from college coachs would be more along the lines of (a) is he fast; (b) is he strong; (c) is he coachable; (d) is he keen/motivated; (e) how much upside potential does he have; (f) does he have the potential to score points for the team by his sophomore year; and other questions like these.

Notice that I didn't mention "does he have good technique", and I didn't mention "is his PR from 7 or from 9"? These are things that the college coach will work on with you once you get there.

I'm not a college coach (I've just been on the receiving end) but there's lots of college coaches that are on PVP, so let's hear from them!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Lilmicmike
PV Beginner
Expertise: college freshmen
Lifetime Best: 17'2"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Unread postby Lilmicmike » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:55 pm

Thanks Kirk. And sorry it's just a habit of saying 7 step rather than lefts. And yes my pr was with a 7 left. Thanks for the advice and yeah i would love to hear from some college coaches. I believe I need to focus on speed and strength, rather tan my steps.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:31 pm

Lilmicmike wrote: I believe I need to focus on speed and strength, rather than my steps.

I think you're on the right track (good luck!), but please listen to your personal coach more than any other coach or pundit (like me).

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:08 pm

I'm a college coach and I wouldn't mind seeing a kid going from 9lefts, you gotta get them there eventually... So you would already be developing a feel from 9. And no college coach is going to be more interested in a kid jumping 16ft from 7 than a kid jumping 17ft from 9... I don't know who told you that but that would be way off. Most coaches go off paper results, and then search you out before seeing your videos or you jumping in person.

Everybody back in the day used to run from 9-10-11 lefts. I watched a video of AVC coach and he was running from like 11 I think :p

I remember two years ago I was recruiting a girl that went from 9lefts and was bringing it! She was about 5ft tall and jumped 12'3.... I recruited her as a walk on because of her size, but it was fun watching her jump! Her 9 wasn't necessary but she was making it work and maintained her speed surprisingly well.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”