Pole Progression & Flex #'s

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
andy94566
PV Whiz
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'8"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Walker, Johnson, Miles

Pole Progression & Flex #'s

Unread postby andy94566 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:03 pm

So when I thought of what it meant to "move up a pole," I had always thought that it just meant either move up in weight rating or move up in length of the pole. But recently, I needed to move up from my 14' 165 UCS Spirit (16.8 flex) pole to my 14'6" 160 & 165 Pacer FX (flex for 160 = 19.8) poles. However, the 14'6" poles which are longer so I thought I was moving up a pole felt even smaller than my 14' 160.. I'm trying to find my next pole up from my 14' 160 (16.8) based on the pole progression that I have available to me:

14' 165 UCS Spirit 16.8
14'6" 160 Pacer FX 19.8
14'6" 165 Pacer FX (flex number not on pole)
15' 160 Pacer FX 20.0
15' 170 Old UCS Spirit 18.7
15' 175 UCS Spirit 17.1
15'6" 160 Carbon Fiber FX 21.0
15'6" 165 Carbon Fiber FX 20.1
15'6" 170 Carbon Fiber FX 19.1
15'6" 175 Carbon Fiber FX 18.1

I'm experimenting with gripping higher up on the 14' 165 UCS 16.8 that I'm currently competing on right now. I have taken a jump on the 14'6" 160 Pacer FC 19.8 but the pole didn't really do much for me at all. I feel there's not much I can do about my situation... the 14'6" Pacer FX's and the 15' Pacer FX poles are a lot more flexible than the current 16.8 that I need to move up from.. But other than that, the poles become too long for my current grip (13'4"-13'7"). If only I can get on that 15'6" 160 Carbon Fiber FX.. I would have a perfect 4 pole progression (the team had bought them for our school record holder). I asked my coach if it would be realistic for him to purchase a 14' 170 UCS Spirit pole.. We probably will not get it this year though. Can anyone suggest what I should do? Thanks!

Andy

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Re: Pole Progression & Flex #'s

Unread postby vquestpvc » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:11 pm

First consideration is how high are you currently vaulting? And, where are you currently holding the 14' - 160 Spirit? And, how many steps (total) is your approach. Only based on the limited info you gave, the 15' - 170 might be a possibility holding down a few inches. But, need the other info to consider.

andy94566
PV Whiz

Unread postby andy94566 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:40 pm

vquestpvc wrote:First consideration is how high are you currently vaulting? And, where are you currently holding the 14' - 160 Spirit? And, how many steps (total) is your approach. Only based on the limited info you gave, the 15' - 170 might be a possibility holding down a few inches. But, need the other info to consider.

Currently, while vaulting on the 14'-165 Spirit, I am holding at 13'6", and still competing with my standards at 75. I am running from an 8 Left approach run at 106'5". I am currently vaulting 4.17 and here is a link to a journal where you can see some jumps: http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtop ... 39&t=44880

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby vquestpvc » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:35 am

Sorry it took so long to get back to you..............as it is track season, I have been quite busy with meets. Anyway, hope I can be of help. Ok, based on the info you provided, I believe the 15' - 170 Spirit pole will be ok. Despite the pole being "older" really has nothing to do with anything; of course "old" is relative to your age.........I would be ancient to you. Recently a vaulter I work with was using a pole (actually a Spirit) constructed in 1989. As you have indicated your running 8 lefts which suggests to me a level of confidence and competency. Additionally, the approach length indicates a stride of 6.6' which suggests that either you are around 6' tall or fast; maybe both. So, you should be able to grip down on the 15' pole. Interesting thing about Spirits is although the pole is sold at 15', the actual grip limit is 14' 7" or typically 5' shorter than the indicated length; this is definitely the case with newer poles, but not absolutely sure about real old Spirit poles. Hey, use a tape measure. Anyway, as you are currently gripping 13' 6", you can grip the 15' at 14'+ and be successful. Again, this opinion is based on what you stated your current particulars to be. In the Beginner to Bubka video, it shows an individual name Tom Lovell, 18, vaulting with a 15' 185lb pole although he weighs only 140 lbs; the results of experience, confidence and competency which are ingredients one should never vault without. Anyway, hope this can be helpful. Good luck and vault high, but be smart which means don't try to substitute daring and short cuts for experience and knowledge. By the way, I'm a little confused about where you're from; or perhaps where you vault. In your last posting you used both metric and standard measurements: 4.17 height, 75 for standards and 106.5' for approach. My guess is that you're vaulting in college?

andy94566
PV Whiz

Unread postby andy94566 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:34 pm

vquestpvc wrote:Sorry it took so long to get back to you..............as it is track season, I have been quite busy with meets. Anyway, hope I can be of help. Ok, based on the info you provided, I believe the 15' - 170 Spirit pole will be ok. Despite the pole being "older" really has nothing to do with anything; of course "old" is relative to your age.........I would be ancient to you. Recently a vaulter I work with was using a pole (actually a Spirit) constructed in 1989. As you have indicated your running 8 lefts which suggests to me a level of confidence and competency. Additionally, the approach length indicates a stride of 6.6' which suggests that either you are around 6' tall or fast; maybe both. So, you should be able to grip down on the 15' pole. Interesting thing about Spirits is although the pole is sold at 15', the actual grip limit is 14' 7" or typically 5' shorter than the indicated length; this is definitely the case with newer poles, but not absolutely sure about real old Spirit poles. Hey, use a tape measure. Anyway, as you are currently gripping 13' 6", you can grip the 15' at 14'+ and be successful. Again, this opinion is based on what you stated your current particulars to be. In the Beginner to Bubka video, it shows an individual name Tom Lovell, 18, vaulting with a 15' 185lb pole although he weighs only 140 lbs; the results of experience, confidence and competency which are ingredients one should never vault without. Anyway, hope this can be helpful. Good luck and vault high, but be smart which means don't try to substitute daring and short cuts for experience and knowledge. By the way, I'm a little confused about where you're from; or perhaps where you vault. In your last posting you used both metric and standard measurements: 4.17 height, 75 for standards and 106.5' for approach. My guess is that you're vaulting in college?

Hey, yeah. I'm vaulting at Emory U. in Atlanta, GA atm. We have our conference meet in one week. I'm about to borrow a 14' 170 pole from a local pole vault club so that would be a good pole for me to get on before the 15' 170 as well. Thanks for your input!

AwamaKrCB

Pole Progression Flex #s

Unread postby AwamaKrCB » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:06 am

Recently I have been thinking about pushing my step back from a 6 lefts approach to something higher so I can start working with longer poles and generate more power in my jump. However, I am unsure about what pole I need to go to, and what a proportional change in step length would be. Just as a side note I am completely comfortable with free take-offs, and can utilize them to jump on poles above my weight.

Heres some information about me:

Weight:132

Height:6

Current Pole: UCS 14 150, flex 22

Standards are usually at 24-26 but it depends on the weather, thats where they are in normal conditions

6 Step: 78

Takeoff:116

Thanks a bunch

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”