forcing and controlling the bend

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: forcing and controlling the bend

Unread postby KirkB » Sun May 25, 2014 8:53 pm

between3and5charctrs wrote:do you know where his grip is? if mine exceeds more than around 11'6" on a 12' 145 or 12'6" 150 then theres a slight bend in the pole, unless im using the 11'3" 145, nothing will bend that monster. capping the 11' 120 i get a bend, but i cant control it anymore than i can control a bull

I get the impression that you haven't heard a word of what I've said.

Your entire focus STILL seems to be on bending the pole, instead of learning how to SWING properly! :dazed:

I give up.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

between3and5charctrs
PV Newbie
Expertise: current highschool vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: allison stokke

Unread postby between3and5charctrs » Sun May 25, 2014 9:16 pm

i understand what you were saying, i was wondering how the junior is able to get that high without bending the pole because when i increase my grip the poles do bend whether i like it or not. my last post was questioning how the other vaulter is able to do it, not asking how id be able to do it.

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Unread postby botakatobi » Mon May 26, 2014 12:10 am

between3and5charctrs wrote:i understand what you were saying, i was wondering how the junior is able to get that high without bending the pole because when i increase my grip the poles do bend whether i like it or not. my last post was questioning how the other vaulter is able to do it, not asking how id be able to do it.

The most talented stiff pole vaulters jumped 15' 9" without bending the pole. They had zero push from their bottom arm.

As mentioned by Kirk, your best bet is to learn how to swing and jump your top grip or better before you think of any bottom arm pressure.

between3and5charctrs
PV Newbie

Unread postby between3and5charctrs » Mon May 26, 2014 12:22 pm

i was working on my straight poling today and the head coach noticed i had my elbow on the outside of the pole. he told me its preventing me from having a full swing and twist, any ideas how to fix it?

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Mon May 26, 2014 12:52 pm

He was holding at 12' on a 13' 170. He did it without any knee drive. He has a great run, solid plant, and a big jump at take off. These are the things we work on everyday with all my vaulters. I have never taught a vaulter to bend the pole. That happens with the right grip, the right pole, and good technique.
Here's the thing, pole vaulting is a chain of events. It starts off the runway. What pole you use. How high you grip. How far you run from. Then, it's simply run, plant, take off, and swing. If any phase of the vault is deficient, every thing after will suffer.
His teammate won our sectional at 14', holding at 13'9", and is seeded sixth at the Illinois State meet in the 2a class. He does bend the pole and will be very good at the college level. That jump is 11" over his grip. I never taught him to bend the pole.
Work on your improving technique and you will see success.
Good luck.

between3and5charctrs
PV Newbie

Unread postby between3and5charctrs » Mon May 26, 2014 12:55 pm

our school has 2 vaulters going to state this year, both at 13'9", but ive seen one do a 15' bungee, theya re both hoping Winder falls to the family curse

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon May 26, 2014 8:57 pm

Good job KirkB!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:54 pm

http://youtu.be/sc3GZS-D6P4

12 year old girl DRIVING THE POLE UP AND FORWARDS - no attempt to bend it but notice it is just beginning to flex . She jumped 9'9" 'stiff poling' in March - with the take off she has and the swing she is beginning to develop she will jump 11'6" or more next season. :D :yes:

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:42 am

Where are you Charlie????? ;) :P

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:07 pm

Busy coaching 21 vaulters from 19 different high schools! ONLY had 8 State Champions!!! 5 indoor National Champions and 9th grade female (age 14) #1 in the NATION with new indoor American Record 12'8", and has since been 13'!!! Not enough ground level PRESS yet to get on the bigger poles!!!! Just another day on the job (playing golf and coaching State Champion pole vaulters!!!!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:39 pm

And folk criticise me for self promotion! But I should point out that we do have one lad going to the world juniors in Eugene and one going to the Youth Olympics in China. Do two internationals trump a load of state champions?

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:38 pm

I like to spread the WEALTH! That is why I WOULD NOT accept an elite coaching position, because I want to ENHANSE as many young people's lives as I can!!!!!!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”