mid chart help

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Bombshellbell
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11ft
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

mid chart help

Unread postby Bombshellbell » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:44 pm

When the chart refers to a hand grip height do they mean your top hand or bottom because this has always confused me...
Also I'm trying to figure out what my next pole I should use because my current pole I really flex

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: mid chart help

Unread postby GasPasser » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:52 pm

Grip height refers to the top hand on the pole. I've interpreted this to be the top of the top hand as opposed to the bottom of the top hand. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the grip being measured at the top of the hand.)

For example, if the top of the top hand is at 12 feet on the pole (measured from the tip), your grip is 12`. So if you have a 13' 1" pole, and the weight band is at the top, the highest grip you could have on that pole is 13 feet.

As for the "next pole", you say you are over bending it - are you also landing deep in the pit as well? If you are, then you may also need to raise your grip as well as going up a pole. If you are not landing deep into the pit, then you should keep your same grip and just go up a pole. That usually means going up by 5 lbs in the weight rating on a pole of the same manufacture and length. If that is not possible, you'll need to tell us what pole you are on, where you are gripping, and what other pole choices you have. It is likely that, like most HS vaulters, you are facing a gap in pole progression.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: mid chart help

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:18 pm

I don't have the definitive answer to your first question, but I've asked DJ to reply. I haven't seen him post lately, so not sure if he'll catch this, so I've emailed him.

I've always measured grip heights to the pinky finger of the top hand, which would be about 4 inches lower than GasPasser's interpretation, but I could be wrong.

You can also reach him thru his website: http://www.oneapproachrun.com/

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”