Changing Poles

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
robotmaker20
PV Newbie
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Changing Poles

Unread postby robotmaker20 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:53 pm

I'm a junior in High school. I am 5'6", and 135lbs. I currently use a 140lbs 11'5" Altius. I use 5L runs. I hold at the top of the pole and can easily execute a vault with it. I get good penetration and a very small amount of bend. I think I should move up to a larger pole, unfortunately our pole selection is not great. The poles i could go to are a 160lbs 12', a 155lbs 13'9" (altius), or a 150lbs 14'. All of these larger poles feel way to big and I am not sure if I can use any of them due to the fact that my current pole is so much smaller. Any help at all would be appreciated.

side note: How much will speed at take off help...

monteo
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School, Club, College Coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Changing Poles

Unread postby monteo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:43 pm

You can use any of those poles, however, you will not be gripping at the top of the pole on any but the 12' 160, and that only if you can straight pole with it. So start with the 12' pole and grip down from where you are currently gripping on the 140 pole, and then gradually move up grip height as you successfully complete jumps at the lower grip height. You can do the same thing with all of the poles you have access to, but the 12' is a good starting place as it will feel closer to what you are used to carrying, and practicing straight pole vaults is never a bad thing. You need access to a better pole progression, is there a PV club near you? Maybe they could help out even if they are too far to attend regularly.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”