Lonestar and Vitali,

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
altius
PV Rock Star

Lonestar and Vitali,

Unread postby altius » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:00 pm

Th following quote is from Lonestars description of a training session with Vitali Petrov - in the General section of PVP. Perhaps some of the folk who were involved in the debate about the run up in the pole vault on PVP earlier this year will find it interesting

Quote "When Frank and I finally got back to our long runs to do some takeoffs, Vitali immediately said something to the effect of "Ahhh...the American run...is all the same...pahpahpahpahpahpahpah....too fast too soon and no develop run. You need to run pah pah pah pah pah pah pah pahpah pahpah...develop run." The emphasis then became coming out of the back with very high knees and not opening the front leg beyond 90 degrees until the thigh was traveling downwards, and then a fast clawing action." :idea: :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

robillard
PV Nerd

Unread postby robillard » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:03 pm

hes talkin bout tempo running right. ya its harder to keep consistant than a full out sprint but my coach has me and my friend do tempo runs cause he thinks we're consistant enough. a lot of the other guys he just has full out sprint cause they cant keep the tempo. not to restart what i guess was an old debate but is either way better or does each have its own advantages.

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:30 pm

robillard wrote: a lot of the other guys he just has full out sprint cause they cant keep the tempo. .

I think cadence is something that can be learned easily enough with repetition.
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

danimal
PV Newbie

Unread postby danimal » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:36 am

Although the run is important it is energy of the vault but it is still on the runway, most of the time. so i teach pah pah pah pah pahpah pahpah pahpah pahpahpahPAH, this seems to work. Sometimes i even used different syllables, such as bum bum bum bum bumbum bumbum bumbumbumBUM or click click click click clickclick... etc
Last edited by danimal on Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:39 am

Many different things will work, but from a high schoolers prospective it is all aiming at building the most controlled, consistent, powerful run.

If you run too fast, you will not be controlled.

If you accelerate too fast, chances are you cannot accelerate that fast everytime, and your run is inconsistent.

If you are the same out of the back of the runway, with a cadence, and know where to start to turn it up every time (possibly a speed mark) your run will be very controlled, consistent, and powerful.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:19 am

I think you are extracting the urine danimal, but if bum bum works for you all I can say is good luck to you! ;)

However anyone interested in learning a bit more about the event should seriously consider Petrov's words. I would hazard a guess that less than 1% of US vaulters and their coaches understand how important it is to structure the run up in the vault along the lines he is indicating with his statement on the rhythm of the run up - funny as it may seem to those who do not know enough to know how little they know. :idea: :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

maximus
PV Newbie

Unread postby maximus » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:06 pm

Altius Stated:
"I would hazard a guess that less than 1% of US vaulters and their coaches understand how important it is to structure the run up in the vault along the lines he is indicating with his statement on the rhythm of the run up"

Page 105 of the USATF Level II Jumps curriculum states -
"The laws of oscillating systems dictate that for each step in the acceleration process there is an ideal frequency that, if exceeded, results in loss of efficiency. Frequency should progressively increase, but at a unique rate. This rate of frequency development should not compromise the elastic energy development. Failure to increase frequency sufficiently can impair the achievement of maximal velocity and maximal velocity mechanics."

I know its not "You need to run pah pah pah pah pah pah pah pahpah pahpah...develop run", But I think it adequately explains how the run should be, and maybe illustrates a vague American understanding of the approach run.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:04 pm

maximus wrote:Altius Stated:
"I would hazard a guess that less than 1% of US vaulters and their coaches understand how important it is to structure the run up in the vault along the lines he is indicating with his statement on the rhythm of the run up"

"The laws of oscillating systems dictate that for each step in the acceleration process there is an ideal frequency that, if exceeded, results in loss of efficiency. Frequency should progressively increase, but at a unique rate. This rate of frequency development should not compromise the elastic energy development. Failure to increase frequency sufficiently can impair the achievement of maximal velocity and maximal velocity mechanics."

I know its not "You need to run pah pah pah pah pah pah pah pahpah pahpah...develop run", But I think it adequately explains how the run should be, and maybe illustrates a vague American understanding of the approach run.

i dont know what half those words mean, but it sounds good!
On a whole new level 6-20-09

EIUvltr
PV Pro
Expertise: Ex-collegiate pole vaulter B.S. Exercise Science ACSM personal trainer

Unread postby EIUvltr » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:14 pm

Duh
"If he dies, he dies"

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:28 pm

Well the americans must be doing something right with the quality of pole vaulters produced every 4 years.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:54 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:Well the americans must be doing something right with the quality of pole vaulters produced every 4 years.

That is actually not a very productive way of thinking, and I believe it has a lot to do with why our women are no longer medal threats internationally.

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:04 pm

I am gonna have to agree with vaulterboy here.

I cannot stand coming on here to constantly read about people outside the US who come onto this US website and belittle the American method of teaching, vaulting, thinking, breathing, eating, or whatever else they are on their high horse for.

Bottom line is, belittle it all you want, Americans produce at the Olympic level. We constantly have a higher percentage per population in the top 100 in the world, and are constantly winning or coming close to winning the WC's.

Granted, Petrov is a wonderful coach, I cannot argue with that. The level of coaching that he has brought to the vault has been superb, as have all of his athletes results.

HOWEVER, if certain people on here would open their minds a little bit and maybe try and see a new perspective and stop belittling everything that isn't in certain books, maybe more productive discussions and developments and alot less posts like this would occur.

In conclusion, I am a firm believer in Petrov's acceleration/high knees running style. It is significantly more consistent and brings the most speed through the last 10 meters of the run. However, I am an American and am tired of being told that the US methods, which have produced the last two GOLD and SILVER medalists are just downright wrong.

Ask Gibilisco and Tarasov what they think of the US approach to vaulting...
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”