step chart

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
captainfalcon43
PV Fan

step chart

Unread postby captainfalcon43 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:20 pm

When using dj's step chart, do you guys use the takeoff distance, or the grip height to get the mid? The numbers are about a foot off and I am just wondering what you guys typically use.
Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:50 am

The numbers work great for me and the kids I coach as is.

Powervaulter
PV Whiz

Unread postby Powervaulter » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:34 am

I've been using this chart for myself, and found a little bit of the same problem, until I realized a couple of things...

1. Lots of people overstride, especially in the last couple of steps. You may want to check the penultimate and last lefts. Also watchout for low knees. There are plenty of drills that can be done to improve frequency and running posture... you may want to implement some of these.

2. I was measuring from the bottom of the box. I've always done this, because that's where my first coach taught me to measure from, and as it turns out... everyone else measures from the top of the back of the box (including the mid chart measurements).

Hope that helps!

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:54 am

hey captain

you use the grip...

the takeoff distance on the chart is an average.. and should be based on the vaulters reach.. with takeoff toe directly below the top hand at the plant.. with the toe, top hand and butt plug in the box forming the triangle....... for example a 5-1 vaulter griping the same height as a 6-4 vaulter will takeoff further out

the "MID" is representative of the amount of force "horse power" (measured in stride length and stride frequency) you need to move the corresponding grip to vertical...

; )

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

captainfalcon43
PV Fan

Unread postby captainfalcon43 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:01 am

Thanks dj. The amount of horsepower is a good way of explaining it.
Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:30 am

I find my athletes' mids to be a little out from DJ's chart mainly because they are undergripping. The chart is not wrong, we just lack .... ;)

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

DJ's Chart

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:35 pm

DJ's chart is derived from a the data associated with a 6' tall person. The shorter the person the farther out the take off and mid will be. I've discovered that a 5'0" athlete will actually be almost a foot further out than the 6'0" athlete.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”