what different models are out there

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:57 pm

EIUvltr wrote:So I'm guessing Bubka's form was probably primarily responsible for his ability to jump high, crazy thought eh?

I'm sure that's a rhetorical question...Altius would probably agree with you.
wo xi huan cheng gan tiao.

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:58 pm

EIUvltr wrote:So I'm guessing Bubka's form was probably primarily responsible for his ability to jump high, crazy thought eh?

I'm sure that's a rhetorical question...Altius would probably agree with you.

Bubka just looks huge when you're 13 yrs old and first hearing about him.
wo xi huan cheng gan tiao.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:29 pm

Soar Like an Eagle wrote:Who were the scientists and what was their specialty?

Read this post.
http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=81849#81849

- master

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:00 pm

"10.2 100 meters, 26 foot long jump" - a myth!!

Anyone who has watched more than a handful of Bubka's jumps knows that he could have jumped much higher that 6.14 - circumstances prevented it as he himself has explained in interviews. But continue to believe otherwise, base your methods on those of the other vaulters mentioned, including Tim Mack, great athlete tho he is, and you will continue to limit your potential or that of your athletes. :idea: :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:24 pm

altius wrote:"10.2 100 meters, 26 foot long jump" - a myth!!

Anyone who has watched more than a handful of Bubka's jumps knows that he could have jumped much higher that 6.14 - circumstances prevented it as he himself has explained in interviews. But continue to believe otherwise, base your methods on those of the other vaulters mentioned, including Tim Mack, great athlete tho he is, and you will continue to limit your potential or that of your athletes. :idea: :yes:

So are you saying Joe Dial 19’6 and Therry Vigneron 19’5 (long time ago) were using the wrong methods to maximize their potential? Joe was 5’9â€Â

EIUvltr
PV Pro
Expertise: Ex-collegiate pole vaulter B.S. Exercise Science ACSM personal trainer

Unread postby EIUvltr » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:56 pm

Soar Like an Eagle wrote:
altius wrote:"10.2 100 meters, 26 foot long jump" - a myth!!

So are you saying Joe Dial 19’6 and Therry Vigneron 19’5 (long time ago) were using the wrong methods to maximize their potential? Joe was 5’9â€Â
"If he dies, he dies"

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:42 pm

hey

sorry i have not had time to respond... my bad..

it's time for me to step up..

tim macks 5.90 jump.... technically and use of force was as good as any that i have seem of bubka's... and better as far as using the pole and it's bend quailties...

could somebody put a bubka jump on here that i can compare speed, time of the jump, max bend etc....

i'll tell you why when i have a break...

the things tim mcmichael, jeff buckingham, joe dial and several others were doing to maximize their ability were extremely good....

tim maximized his speed, his swing... he matched the pole with the forces he had better than bubka........

the criticism of his flat, pole "squishier" non-jump takeoff are without merit and bubka could have jumped higher using the same methods of maximum pole bend... he did have more pole bend in 1983 and 84 than the rest of the worlds vaulters... many times it was a mistake for him to continue to try stiffer and stiffer poles...

stiff poles hold you out and don't let you shorten the radius adequately..

more later

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:25 am

good morning

i had a chance to briefly read tim mcmichaels' okie manifesto...

very awesome...

interestingly enough ladyvolcoach and i have been discussing the points tim explains for the last 2/3 weeks trying to figure out how i can get them on paper to post....

so this coversation can be shifted over to that post... looks like no one wanted to continue here anyway...

i think the only real dicussion now is... what is a real free takeoff? not just the "visual" that allan discribes but the physical... which i feel is what really needs to be understood... it's not just simply an "out" takeoff...

more on that later..

the second point is takeoff angle.. and the takeoff angle is and should be, in most part determined by the pole flex and not by "jumping" at the takeoff.. although there should be a "jumping move" and that ties in with what i view as a "free takeoff..

got work... more later...

shift to okie.. manifesto

; )

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

littlebigboy
PV Newbie

Unread postby littlebigboy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:14 pm

I,m new here, what does Earl Bell teach? Isn't that what Jeff Hartwig is still using at 39?

EIUvltr
PV Pro
Expertise: Ex-collegiate pole vaulter B.S. Exercise Science ACSM personal trainer

Unread postby EIUvltr » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:21 pm

littlebigboy wrote:I,m new here, what does Earl Bell teach? Isn't that what Jeff Hartwig is still using at 39?

Earl Bell 1985 or Earl Bell 2007? If you watch the video he put out over a decade ago he refers to "the pocket" and some other concepts that you don't hear so much about anymore. It's a hilarious video if you want to see a bald guy clear 18 feet over and over and over again (I think it is the same jump on repeat).
"If he dies, he dies"

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”