what different models are out there

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

what different models are out there

Unread postby vaulter870 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:24 pm

it had come to my attention in a big way that it is nice to get information on what is going on and what is right and wrong in the vault, but there is a problem with all the information that is being given. there is more then one model of the vault and what is right for the petrov model may not be right for someone else that is jumping very well using the more americanized power vaulter model. i am wondering if there is a way to keep the two seperate when people are asking for advice. i have seen a great HS vaulter get confused and try to fuse these two models together. most of you would say that he is just moving to the petrov model with the free and relaxed takeoff. only thing is he is now jumping around 15' as apposed to around 17' last season. i am no expert on all of this and i know that there is more to this then just mixing these techniques. i think that maybe we need to get a discussion on how to use the power vaulter model and maybe hear form peopel that have had luck with a fusion of the two as opposed to just hearing about the petrov model
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

euroeva
PV Fan

Unread postby euroeva » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:47 pm

What is the difference between the two types? I have heard the terms used here, but i wouldn't know which one applies to me. All I know is I vault, I have no idea which model I use.

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:24 pm

The way I see it, the Petrov model uses a swing with a relatively straight trail leg all the way to covering the pole, or having the legs straight and in line with the pole and the shoulders dropped down toward the runway before the pole recoils.

The other model calls for something of a tuck with both knees bent toward the chest before extending the legs upward as the pole straightens.

When I started getting back into this game about five years ago, I heard the two models described as the swing or the power vault technique.

vaulter870
PV Great

Unread postby vaulter870 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:43 pm

that is the way that most people describe them as either swing or power. i am still curious if someone can give a good explaination of the the power model

euroeva
PV Fan

Unread postby euroeva » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:55 pm

ooo. ok. my coach calls it the bubka swing and the rocking swing. He says the petrov is better. In petrov i think you swing like a gymnast when they do a kip. Their body is straight throughout the swing. This probl. isn't a good explanation.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:28 am

The Petrov model is THE only model worth considering because 1. It is based on sound biomechanical principles. 2. It has been employed by the majority of successful vaulters in the recent history of the event. 3. Athletes of even average ability can benefit from mastering even some of the elements of this technical model. :idea: :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:13 am

i have to agree with altius on this one. there is no reason to really try to implement any aspects of the 'power vault' into your vault. whenever i see a flaw in my vault, it is because of an aspect of the power vault. for example, not keeping a straight trail leg, or pausing after I've covered the pole. Basically what I am trying to say is that many of the flaws in my vault are considered ok by the 'power vault' standpoint. Yet, when I begin to fix these things, keep my trail leg straighter, invert sooner, etc. my vault seems to drastically improve, even within a single practice. the bubka model is the only model that a vaulter should strive towards. the 'power model' is only a set of leftover flaws.
"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

vaulter870
PV Great

Unread postby vaulter870 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:25 am

i am well aware that the petrov model is the way that has worked the best and i jump that using that technique. my whole reason for this post is about my vaulter that jumps more like a power vaulter. he isnt a complete block out and tuck kind of guy, he is just more of a plow into the plant and have half a swing. now here is the reason that i am wondering about this. i am well aware that it takes alot of time and effort to get the petrov model right and my jumper does not have that kind of time because he is a senior in high school and he has just gotten over injury so he hasnt been able to implement many things that i wanted to change over the summer and the winter. so here is what i want to know, what can i cange slowly that can help him transition to a more petrov model of the jump without screwing him up to badly. he is a 16' jumper already and he just wants to get recruited by a school

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:26 pm

remember, the "petrov model" is a series of things and not just a single idea. All things start with the pole carry and approach, which leads to the plant, take off, swing, etc.... You can only do something well if you've correctly executed the preceeding step.

Identify the shortcomings in his vault as a whole, then start from the beginning and address the issues in order.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

gtc
PV Whiz

Unread postby gtc » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:28 pm

vaulter870 wrote:that is the way that most people describe them as either swing or power. i am still curious if someone can give a good explaination of the the power model

See Texas pole vault manifesto!

blakedow
PV Nerd

Unread postby blakedow » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:04 am

gtc wrote:
vaulter870 wrote:that is the way that most people describe them as either swing or power. i am still curious if someone can give a good explaination of the the power model

See Texas pole vault manifesto!

haha... That thing should come with a disclaimer!! haha... Please do not try and have anyone jump as we have outlined in the Texas pole vault manifesto... :yes:
4.75... Write THAT down...

KYSEAMAN
PV Whiz
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 17'10.5
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud

Unread postby KYSEAMAN » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:50 am

Is the power vault the same thing as "compression vaulting"?
Follow me on Twitter @PVSeaman
www.takogrip.com - The ONLY pole vault grip tape.
Knoxville, TN

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”