Analsis of Tye Harvey's 5.92 jump

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Common errors of vaulters today (in 1972 & in 2007)

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:01 am

ESSX wrote:“The Elusive Bar 2nd Edition" Published in 1972 34 years ago grin now out of print chapter one page 15). Quote from my book in 1972 “To store or transfer energy of the run into the vault, the vaulter has two ways to do this one storing the energy into the pole and 2nd creating a pendulum action that stores the power of the run into the swing of the vault. Probably the most common error of vaulters today (in 1972 and still in 2007) is the overemphasis on getting into

Does anyone have a copy of this book for sale? I've never heard of it, but I would love to have a copy! It sounds interesting!

Also, it appears that this post was truncated. What's after "getting into"? Is it "a tuck"? The wierd characters and the truncation are due to the conversion of this message board to phpBBB a couple weeks ago. Any chance anyone has this post stored offline?

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Re:

Unread postby Lax PV » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:36 pm

altius wrote:"9.32 m/s from 5 to 10m out." Apples and oranges. How fast was he 5m - take off??

Also the faster he is moving when he compresses the pole early like that -the less efficient his jump will be. This is an area which has not been addressed anywhere to date. :idea: :yes:

Essex - the issue I addressed in Reno - was how do you assure penetration deep onto the pad when you go for maximum height. As always Bubka was the model - naturally using Spirits - but I also used 7 of my own young athletes to show what was possible for relative novices -also using Spirit.

In doing biomechanics stuff at USAs in 2007 (not that this is the meet in question, just my humble experience), the only measurements were taken from 15-10 and from 10-5 for the men. This was because most of them took off at about 4.1-4.3 meters. The mark could not be put at 4m for the men, since a decrease in velocity will inevitably occur due to the take off. The 10-5 measurement is an accurate measure of the final phase of the runway. I think it was simply a communication error in that one is measuring from the take off position, and one is measuring from the plant box itself.

PS after reviewing data that I have from 2007 USAs, the highest velocities were 5.60-5.80 attemps, at 9.52 m/s. 9.32 at 5.92 is pretty freakish--although without seeing the video, the free take off issue would help ;)

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”