Bemiller/Mack Model

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:44 pm

agapit wrote:
JKSvault wrote:Well, if you follow your point you could say that Pam Manson is the best technician or perhaps Joe Dial. Many would qualify for the title. However, there are no medals for that.

The point of the discussion was to discuss the relevant efficiencies between Bubka and Mack.

If you are looking for the slowest and weakest vaulter to clear maximum height for his ability, I do not think Mack would qualify or even appreciate his name being mentioned in the list of candidates.

I believe what I said throughout previous posts is that given his speed in comparison to Bubka, Mack was able to use the energy produced in his vault more efficiently. You have never once heard me say that Mack was slow or anything remotely close.

Ok. Ok. Just tell me how he did it than.

LOL.

I have seen a vault in competition in Krasnodar by a Russian vaulter (Nikitin in 1988 or so) It was 5.65m (18'6") with a grip of 4.44m (14' 7"). He simply could not grip heigher, he was slow. That is 1.41m difference between grip and bar. How about this efficiency?
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

b/m

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:19 pm

Roman, welcome back to PVP from your world! Good to see you Sat. even if it was brief!!!

agapit
PV Follower

Re: b/m

Unread postby agapit » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:30 pm

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:Roman, welcome back to PVP from your world! Good to see you Sat. even if it was brief!!!

Thank you coach. I just wondered in to the area... Again.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

pvp

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:37 pm

you're always welcome there when I'm there!! Hope to see more of ya!!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:30 pm

This post is specifically addressed to slickvt. Slick old son, I will try to keep it as simple as possible because I am not sure if you are deliberately being obtuse or if that is your natural state. You are certainly the master of the snide remark and your “hintsâ€Â
Last edited by altius on Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:22 pm

Thanks 'master' for putting it togther for me -never could handle this new fangled technology. Al
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:34 pm

Good stuff Alan I hate that you are not going to post anymore.

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:11 am

vaultman18 wrote:Good stuff Alan I hate that you are not going to post anymore.

dont worry his "retiring" is a bit like Michael Jordan. ;) He cares to much about the sport!
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:36 am

[quote="altius"]This post is specifically addressed to slickvt. Slick old son, I will try to keep it as simple as possible because I am not sure if you are deliberately being obtuse or if that is your natural state. You are certainly the master of the snide remark and your “hintsâ€Â
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:15 am

SlickVT wrote:Anyway, I was just trying to spark some thought by trying to make people consider the Launder Model by considering it without having Bubka in the picture. Seeing as he was head and shoulders above us mortals...

I would argue he was not. Was he the fastest? No. Was he the strongest? No. Was he the most athletic? Debatable. Did he do everything technically better than anyone else? Absolutely.

His dedication, attention to detail, work ethic, and commitment to a specific technical model were unparalleled. He left his parents to move to another city, with just his older brother...who was still only a couple of years older, before he was 13 because Petrov moved. What level of dedication does that take? I was told once that a few years ago at practice, Petrov said, "Look at Giuseppe Gibilisco, he trains twice as hard and twice as long as my next best athlete. Bubka at least doubled that."

The first year I went to Reno, in '97, an American record holder told me that "no one can vault like Bubka other than Bubka. Anyone that tries would kill himself." This has been the prevailing opinion in the US forever. This mentality is justification for failure and it's no wonder no one has approached his WR. Mistaking fundamentally sound technique for superhuman athleticism is what has prevented better athletes from jumping near or higher than Bubka.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:39 am

achtungpv wrote:
SlickVT wrote:Anyway, I was just trying to spark some thought by trying to make people consider the Launder Model by considering it without having Bubka in the picture. Seeing as he was head and shoulders above us mortals...

I would argue he was not. Was he the fastest? No. Was he the strongest? No. Was he the most athletic? Debatable. Did he do everything technically better than anyone else? Absolutely.

His dedication, attention to detail, work ethic, and commitment to a specific technical model were unparalleled. He left his parents to move to another city, with just his older brother...who was still only a couple of years older, before he was 13 because Petrov moved. What level of dedication does that take? I was told once that a few years ago at practice, Petrov said, "Look at Giuseppe Gibilisco, he trains twice as hard and twice as long as my next best athlete. Bubka at least doubled that."

The first year I went to Reno, in '97, an American record holder told me that "no one can vault like Bubka other than Bubka. Anyone that tries would kill himself." This has been the prevailing opinion in the US forever. This mentality is justification for failure and it's no wonder no one has approached his WR. Mistaking fundamentally sound technique for superhuman athleticism is what has prevented better athletes from jumping near or higher than Bubka.

Thank you brother. You are absolutely on target. It is amazing that the discovery is still unrecognized not just by majority but by a overwhelming majority. And yes if it continuous we are doomed for another 27 years of 19' vaulting.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:04 am

[quote="JKSvault
I believe what I said throughout previous posts is that given his speed in comparison to Bubka, Mack was able to use the energy produced in his vault more efficiently. You have never once heard me say that Mack was slow or anything remotely close.[/quote]

Listen Mack vaulted 6.01 one time. I have see Bubka vaulted at 6.30+ several times not counting official world records. I am not talking about competitions that are in video posterity. We have estimated 1.40 on the push in his vaults that is at 5.18 -5.20 grip. I think, that reason he did not do it for the record he was along and lonely at the top with no one to challenge him. But I have seen him rise.

We were waiting to see at least 6.30 in competition. I guess his record setting strategy at the time was not the best for achieving his maximum lifetime potential as far as recorded height.

The point you are missing is that the development is not a static process. If you settle for efficiency you will loose the physical growth component.

Petrov once said that they were trying to move to supper grips 5.25m and Bubka could do it. However, from what I understood it was too stressful for Bubka and they abandoned this. Who knows where he would end up if they did not. Now he was not that much faster than Mack 9.6-9.8. The rumors of 10.0 are not firmly substantiated to my knowledge and if happed, it was only on special occasions.

P.S. At the last Worlds in 1997 he was not nearly as fast as at his best times. He looked slow on the runway. But when he put his concept to work he ripped it up. If you have seen this jump live it would floor you. It was amazing to watch.

P.S. P.S. Could you describe B/Mack model?

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”