We are doomed. Repent and ask for forgiveness.

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.

Do you repent?

I do
68%
I don't
32%

Total votes: 71

agapit
PV Follower

We are doomed. Repent and ask for forgiveness.

Unread postby agapit » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:31 am

Brothers and sisters we are doomed to another 27 years of 19 ft vaulting.

The prophet has come, but you did not recognize him. He showed you 20' +, but you turned away.

Stop your evil vaulting ways, repent and ask for forgiveness. Open your hearts to the truth and your hearts shell be clean of all impurities.

He who believes shell vault 21' and she who believes shell vault 18'.

We are two apostles of the way. Believe and you shell fly.

Agapit

His monastic name Agapit, in Greek, means Divine Love. This is the highest form of love and mercy to unfortunate, sick and invalid people. ... (google.com)

P.S. Don't take it too seriously. Please.
Last edited by agapit on Tue May 27, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:12 am

I'd like to see your explanation to these questions you posted:

1. When should swing begin and why?
2. How could one increase the speed of the swing and generate more energy at the same time?
3. Does swing need to be shortened at the hips (famous L position) and why?
wo xi huan cheng gan tiao.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:39 am

OUvaulterUSAF wrote:I'd like to see your explanation to these questions you posted:

1. When should swing begin and why?
2. How could one increase the speed of the swing and generate more energy at the same time?
3. Does swing need to be shortened at the hips (famous L position) and why?

Your first question is one of the two central questions of the vault existence. When you realize the truth it will transform you and you will be born again. When I had this enlightenment (drinking coffee with my coach and at the time high priest Yagodin half the night) in 1984 it transformed my vault in one night.

The swing begins immediately after your top arm meets the resistance from the pole and your take-off foot leaves the ground. It is the same for everyone without exception. So, what you really asking is what you do at that moment.

The issue at hand is that if you swing begins too early, than you do not penetrate enough to complete the bar clearance or worse land in the box.

The idle worshipers suggested in the past that you have to keep your take-off foot back after the take-off and hold your position through applying force through the bottom arm to the pole. It does one thing. It keeps your center of gravity lover by delaying the natural swing which than allows for further penetration of the vaulter-pole system.

The true believers have discovered a different ways of dealing with this issue.

Free take-off delays the moment when the top arm meets the resistance from the pole. When completely successful the take-off foot is already off the ground and fully stretched after completing the powerful leg take-off cycle before any pole resistance realized.

This are the first two methods through which true believers naturally increase vaulter-pole system penetration by delaying pole resistance and fully completing leg take-off cycle.

Let me answer the third question before the second.

Again idle worshipers would make you believe that you gain advantage by shortening the swing (L-position). They play on your ignorance. They know that you have to complete your swing in a limited time and shortening of the swing decreases the swing time by increasing the speed of angular rotation (degrees per second). So, you get upside-down to catch recoil of the pole.

There are two problems with this. First, a faster (shortened) swing is leading to a faster rise of the center of gravity, which as we know from basic mechanics of the vault decreases the vaulter-pole system penetration. Second, they make you train the L-position which creates questions of when to shorten the swing and by how much.

The true believers do not train to shorten the swing. They attempt to avoid the L-position by completing the vault with as straight body as possible. This gives them two advantages. First, they achieve a lower average center of gravity height that increases penetration of the vaulter-pole system. Second, no need to train the timing and depth of the L-position.

Here is the devil’s trick on your mind my son. Everyone has an L-position during the vault. You cannot complete the vault without some degree of it. The difference between the true believers and idle worshipers is that true believers do not know they have an L-position unless they look at the video. The degree of true believer L-position is determined by the strength of the upper body.

If an athlete is very strong and the angular rotation speed of the straight body swing sufficient to complete the vault without shortening the swing you will not see L-position pronounced or will see less of it. One thing for sure you would never need to train L-position. It will auto regulate.

The best thing about straight body vault is that it demands increase of the physical input and creates a very strong feedback cycle in the mind of a true believer between result and a physical input. This in time creates open-ended growth demand for upper body development.

L-position worshipers usually would loose the correlation between result and the physical input, instead they begin to rely on perfecting the timing of L-position. This will break the correct feedback cycle and kill the physical development demand.

Now hopefully you can see a partial answer to your second question.

First, you could generate more energy by keeping your body longer during the inversion. Second, you can accelerate your rotation by pulling action of the bottom arm. The reason it is a pulling action because the rowing action will lead you to the L-position. Second, it is a pulling action because the pulling action produces more energy than rowing action.

Now read this three times and go multiply and prosper.

gtc
PV Whiz

Unread postby gtc » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:35 am

Anybody who did not enjoy that post needs to go up to the altar right now!

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:20 pm

Well I didn't make up these questions on the spot. Agapit, you actually posted them for us to answer like some riddle in the Pole Vault Manifesto post last summer. (It was like watching the Simpsons where Maggie shot Mr Burns and we were left to speculate the who done it.) I just wanted some closure on those 3 questions.

agapit wrote:Now hopefully you can see a partial answer to your second question.

First, you could generate more energy by keeping your body longer during the inversion. Second, you can accelerate your rotation by pulling action of the bottom arm. The reason it is a pulling action because the rowing action will lead you to the L-position. Second, it is a pulling action because the pulling action produces more energy than rowing action.

You talk about pulling, just to clarify at what point in the vault system do you begin pulling. After you covered the pole? Upon take-off?

Here's my definition of pulling, the arms bend at the elbow and you are using your bicep (arm muscles) to create this force. To me, pulling doesn't happen until you've covered the pole and you are in the beginning of the fly-away.

Please clarify.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:21 pm

gtc wrote:Anybody who did not enjoy that post needs to go up to the altar right now!

Bless you brother!

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:33 pm

OUvaulterUSAF wrote:Well I didn't make up these questions on the spot. Agapit, you actually posted them for us to answer like some riddle in the Pole Vault Manifesto post last summer. (It was like watching the Simpsons where Maggie shot Mr Burns and we were left to speculate the who done it.) I just wanted some closure on those 3 questions.

agapit wrote:Now hopefully you can see a partial answer to your second question.

You talk about pulling, just to clarify at what point in the vault system do you begin pulling. After you covered the pole? Upon take-off?

Here's my definition of pulling, the arms bend at the elbow and you are using your bicep (arm muscles) to create this force. To me, pulling doesn't happen until you've covered the pole and you are in the beginning of the fly-away.

Please clarify.

Now that explains why I like those questions so much.

You begin puling as the swing begins. In addition to biceps, lats participate in the action.

Go and don't sin.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

repent

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:55 pm

I repent! I repent!!! I must now go out into the world and make disciples!!! Invert!! invert!! Oh uh! Convert Convert!!!

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:41 pm

agapit wrote:

You begin puling as the swing begins. In addition to biceps, lats participate in the action.

So you do you or not believe the sole majority of the force during the swing comes from the leg swing/whip after take-off?

Now I understand there is some muscle flexing in the arms and shoulders that adds to force of the swing.

I'm a little confused, as this differs from the Petrov model. Or is this advocating something different?

Am I wrong here?

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:55 pm

OUvaulterUSAF wrote:
agapit wrote:

So you do you or not believe the sole majority of the force during the swing comes from the leg swing/whip after take-off?

Now I understand there is some muscle flexing in the arms and shoulders that adds to force of the swing.

I'm a little confused, as this differs from the Petrov model. Or is this advocating something different?

Am I wrong here?

Brother you are lost. Let me lead you out of the darkness.

Leg swings but it does not create new energy. It redistributes the energy from the run up. The new energy comes from flexing those muscles to accelerate the natural swing.

So if you are talking about adding new energy to the system leg swing does not do it. The arms, abs, lats… do it.

Do you see now…

PS. Where are you reading “Petrovâ€Â

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:59 pm

Altius, at the 2007 Vault Summit, told me that there is no arm pull during the swing phase, only when you're spiraling towards vertical. Altius coaches the Petrov Model so by the translation theory in math class, it's from the Petrov Model.

Altius correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm wrong, then I'm done posting in this topic and I've got what I needed.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:09 pm

OUvaulterUSAF wrote:Altius, at the 2007 Vault Summit, told me that there is no arm pull during the swing phase, only when you're spiraling towards vertical. Altius coaches the Petrov Model so by the translation theory in math class, it's from the Petrov Model.

Altius correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm wrong, then I'm done posting in this topic and I've got what I needed.

Well do you think you just swing around your wrist?
If you do not pull with the left arm how would you accelerate your swing?

Find a video of the prophet and watch it 30 times focusing on left arm only and than I will tell you more.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”