Why the plant is late?

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.

My plant is late because

My arms are moving pole too slow forward
18%
I have no idea
6%
I begin my pole drop too late
76%

Total votes: 49

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:54 pm

may just be me but the biggest time my plant is late is when im concentrating too much on running fast and hitting my step... then when im about 20 foot from pit im like, oh crap! and try to drop fast or just run through.... less i think the better i jump!

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:30 pm

powerplant42 wrote:Most people skip over or brush off the small, yet very important bit of technique that involves the transition from the free pole drop into the plant or pole drive preceding take-off. That is, the bottom arm/hand must stay HIGH! I'm assuming that the vast majority of vaulters don't really pay attention to this, or, as is the case in the good ol' USA, they aren't even taught the Petrov model or at least by a good and knowledgable coach. The bottom hand has to stay high in order for the best plant timing and take-off posture and readiness. One must think about which is better: a low lever, or a high lever? A higher lever eliminates the need to bring the pole up very far. A low lever complicates the plant's timing and accuracy by creating a difficult situation to control a pole, especially the longer and heavier poles. The lower the lever is, the quicker you need to be able to make the transition from pole drop into pole drive, and the quicker you must drive the pole in order to have a good take-off position.

I agree with the high position of the left hand. It is important point.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:38 pm

VaultPurple wrote:may just be me but the biggest time my plant is late is when im concentrating too much on running fast and hitting my step... then when im about 20 foot from pit im like, oh crap! and try to drop fast or just run through.... less i think the better i jump!

Yes this is typical. It is a classic description of the late pole drop.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Why the plant is late?

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:35 pm

Time for some thinking.

Lately (past few months) I have been postulating that Bubka's weakest point in his vault was his plant. He let his left hand drop a little too low as he transitioned from pole drop to pole drive.

Isinbayeva does not do this... However, she uses a much smaller pole. If I am not mistaken, she did not plant as well as she does today (high left hand) back when her take-off was flat.

Thoughts?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:20 am

The weakest part of all levels and all vaults is always going to be the transition point from one major action to another major action. Run to Takeoff. Very seldom can it be PERFECT but ofton it can be acceptable with thoughts towards perfection.

My thoughts,
Rick Baggett
Good coaching is good teaching.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:49 pm

Agreed. :yes:

But it is probably mostly a side-effect from using a 17' pole, don't you think? Very tough to control... But why do so few other women plant with a high bottom hand during transition? Come to think of it, Isi let's her top hand come way behind her... What does that do for her?

I need to watch some more videos. :dazed:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”