Trail Leg- Tuck or Petrov?

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
yurchman
PV Newbie

Trail Leg- Tuck or Petrov?

Unread postby yurchman » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:09 pm

Frankly, which one is better? I've seen both methods implemented by elite vaulters, but Bubka uses the Petrov. Is the petrov more effective?

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:26 pm

That's a good question... The Petrov model gets the best of both worlds; one trailing leg and one drive knee... It gets the pole moving as well as creating a load with the trail leg. The two leg swing moves the pole much less, but can put much more load into the pole, and the tuck gets the pole moving much more. Which one is better? I'm no expert, so I can't tell you. But most likely, the Petrov model of the swing is better, since that's what most coaches know how to teach, and there are most likely many more reasons. Now people like Galfione just happen to have a coach to teach them a different method, the two leg swing, and were able to use it well enough to achieve greatness. Here's a good thread to read:
http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10669
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:14 pm

With all do respect... PLEASE use the search function at the top of the page to look into the Petrov model.

This horse has been dead a long time, long and well beaten.

There have been some really interesting discussions about this topic.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:20 am

now from what i have gathered.. you can execute the petrov model even with a bent trail leg (i.e. Giuseppe Gibilisco). The trail leg tuck/long swing seems to be classified by altius as a difference in style, not technical model.

the key to the petrov model is a free, tall take off, swinging long to the chord of the pole, role the pelvis up, and then cover the pole. he can jump in a correct me if im wrong, but thats what i seemed to gather from his video :yes:
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:02 am

Yes indeed but it is even better to ROLL the pelvis up. ;) :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

VTechVaulter
PV Lover

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:38 pm

altius wrote:Yes indeed but it is even better to ROLL the pelvis up. ;) :yes:

lol.. i try my best what can i say
Brian Mondschein
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:37 pm

"The trail leg tuck/long swing seems to be classified by altius as a difference in style, not technical model. "

In this case it is a fault because the Petrov technical model is based on the notion of putting maximum possible energy into the pole continuously throughout the vault. To do this in the second phase the trail leg has to swing through straight so as to generate max centripetal force through the top hand - if the leg flexes before it reaches the chord of the pole, energy is lost. This small element of technique costs a lot of vaulters - unfortunately jeff hartwig is one who has been handicapped by this problem. While it may seem a tiny thing remember that the vault is composed of an infinite number of tiny 'things' - where force can be generated and efficiently applied. If Jeff had resolved this he would have moved up there with tarasov and markov -can still do so if he sorts it out.

As long as the body is swinging on the pole around the top hand the further the take off toe is away from the hand the better -even after the athlete passes the chord of the pole.

The same principle is used by hammer throwers who try to keep the hammer head as far from the axis of rotation of the body as possible - now that will confuse you!! But keep up the good work -what about some more video -have you improved your cadence over the last six??? ;) :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:15 pm

So i have a question. You swing long and keep your trail leg as straight as possible, all the way to the pole, correct? my question is, do you swing your shins to the pole and THEN begin to straighten your body out, moving your hips up the pole? OR can you begin to straighten out your body a little before your shins hit the pole and not lose energy? Because right now my swing and pull are actually overlapping in their phases.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

VTechVaulter
PV Lover

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:18 am

altius wrote:" -what about some more video -have you improved your cadence over the last six??? ;) :yes:

i will start having some video for you soon. i ended my season on august third. i just needed to get away from it for a bit. the last 6 were getting better at my last meet. i was hitting the same mid but brought my takeoff step out about 4-5 inches.

i start full training again next week so i will be sending footage soon!! :yes:
Brian Mondschein
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

8.19vault
PV Newbie

Unread postby 8.19vault » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:47 am

tucking directly from take off is by far the most efficient way of storing energy into the pole. this puts all your weight together into one smaller area and drives longer and better into the bend. then basically frog leg off the top to get that extra umph!! to get big blow from the pole.
conquer the mind

decanuck
PV Whiz

Unread postby decanuck » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:38 am

8.19vault wrote:tucking directly from take off is by far the most efficient way of storing energy into the pole.

errrm....no

Tucking may make you swing up faster, but it will not do so with more energy.

Think of it this way--would you rather be kicked in the nuts by a midget, or by a guy that's 2m tall?

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:39 pm

Although tucking will help cover the pole faster, there is a potential to stall the pole out.
wo xi huan cheng gan tiao.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”