What is the best indicator of potential vault height?

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.

What is the best indicator of how high a vaulter will vault?

Hand Grip
19%
Speed at take off
58%
Technique
22%

Total votes: 36

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

What is the best indicator of potential vault height?

Unread postby bel142 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:15 am

I relize there are many factors that makes one jump high HOWEVER I stumbled upon this article within my own research and i would enjoy peoples take on it.

This is a peer review article from 1994 Journal of sports medicine in physical fitness.

specificly: J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 1994 Jun;34(2):179-84.

I would like to hear some resonable responses to this article. Run fast jump high is no longer perhapps accurate. Run fast hold high jump high, is not specificly safe so please tell me what you think.

Science meets training theory - please read. Ill also post the abstract for this article.

The abstract

Department of Physical Education, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale.

The purpose of this study was to determine the anthropometric characteristics of skilled adolescent pole vaulters and to examine the strength of anthropometric and physical performance variables in predicting vaulting performance (N = 87; age group range 13-18 years). The vaulting height of the subjects ranged from 1.98 to 4.72m (mean 3.58 +/- s.d. 0.536m). The vaulters were classified as ectomorphic mesomorphs with an average somatotype of 1.6-4.2-3.5 (s.d. +/- 0.38-0.94-1.00). One way analysis of variance showed that while measures of stature, physical performance and vault performance significantly increased (p < 0.05) across age groups, somatotype and sum of skinfolds remained stable. Stepwise regression analysis showed the best predictor of vaulting performance was hand grip height (R2 = 0.78, p < 0.05). Correlation analysis showed that grip height was strongly correlated to vault height (r = 0.88), age (r = 0.72), body mass (r = 0.71), standing long jump (r = 0.69), running speed (r = 0.69), biceps girth (r = 0.66), standing height (0.65), calf girth (0.61) and pull-ups (r = 0.44). It was concluded that the somatotype of skilled young pole vaulters is similar to that of junior Olympic and adult Olympic vaulters, and that this somatotype is a selective factor for this event as early as thirteen years of age. Proficiency in pole vaulting is best predicted by grip height, which is strongly correlated to stature and simple field measures of leg speed and power, and upper body muscular endurance. These findings may be applied to the selection and training of young pole vaulters.

the link

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entre ... xed=google

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:42 am

I said a tie between take off speed and technique. The combination of the two leads to the ability to grip higher, yes. But holding 16' and not being able to push 12 inches because your technique fails you will not get you as high as holding 15' with good take off speed and technique, pushing 30+ inches. Likewise, if you do not have a fast take off speed, you will not hold as high. I think holding high is just the last step in a progression of doing everything else right.

If i had to choose, i would say take off speed. Technique is easier to develop than take off speed, some people are just fast. Sure you can get faster with training, but only to a point. To be a 19' vaulter, you gotta have some wheels. Everything else can spawn from the raw skills.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

agapit
PV Follower

Re: What is the best indicator of potential vault height?

Unread postby agapit » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:04 pm

bel142 wrote:I relize there are many factors that makes one jump high HOWEVER I stumbled upon this article within my own research and i would enjoy peoples take on it.

This is a peer review article from 1994 Journal of sports medicine in physical fitness.

specificly: J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 1994 Jun;34(2):179-84.

I would like to hear some resonable responses to this article. Run fast jump high is no longer perhapps accurate. Run fast hold high jump high, is not specificly safe so please tell me what you think.

Science meets training theory - please read. Ill also post the abstract for this article.

The abstract

Department of Physical Education, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale.

The purpose of this study was to determine the anthropometric characteristics of skilled adolescent pole vaulters and to examine the strength of anthropometric and physical performance variables in predicting vaulting performance (N = 87; age group range 13-18 years). The vaulting height of the subjects ranged from 1.98 to 4.72m (mean 3.58 +/- s.d. 0.536m). The vaulters were classified as ectomorphic mesomorphs with an average somatotype of 1.6-4.2-3.5 (s.d. +/- 0.38-0.94-1.00). One way analysis of variance showed that while measures of stature, physical performance and vault performance significantly increased (p < 0.05) across age groups, somatotype and sum of skinfolds remained stable. Stepwise regression analysis showed the best predictor of vaulting performance was hand grip height (R2 = 0.78, p < 0.05). Correlation analysis showed that grip height was strongly correlated to vault height (r = 0.88), age (r = 0.72), body mass (r = 0.71), standing long jump (r = 0.69), running speed (r = 0.69), biceps girth (r = 0.66), standing height (0.65), calf girth (0.61) and pull-ups (r = 0.44). It was concluded that the somatotype of skilled young pole vaulters is similar to that of junior Olympic and adult Olympic vaulters, and that this somatotype is a selective factor for this event as early as thirteen years of age. Proficiency in pole vaulting is best predicted by grip height, which is strongly correlated to stature and simple field measures of leg speed and power, and upper body muscular endurance. These findings may be applied to the selection and training of young pole vaulters.

the link

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entre ... xed=google

I can believe it. I myself would be probably 2.2-4.5-3.1. I think just a bit too much body fat too short and too bulky to set WR. I addition, I would add that speed would compensate some of it, body awareness is good, lung capacity or VO2 max should not be discounted, foot constitution, flexibility to name more important aspects.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:07 pm

i think that its speed at take off because you can teach technique and that will raise grip height but you cant teach athletic speed.
pain is only temporary victory is forever

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:16 pm

nitro wrote:i think that its speed at take off because you can teach technique and that will raise grip height but you cant teach athletic speed.

Well after 5.60m + (18'4"+) the physical constitution becomes a factor, in my opinion.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:34 pm

agreed
pain is only temporary victory is forever

baggettpv
PV Master

Somatype

Unread postby baggettpv » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:11 am

This reminds me of stuff Andjei talked about in development. Track and Field is three events,
1. Sprint hurdles and jumps.
2. Throws
3 Long Distance running

Until they are 16 of so then the differences will tell.
An Elite Vaulter will be 6' plus, fast, strong and have the ability to move themselves above a high bar in many different ways.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC
Good coaching is good teaching.

baggettpv
PV Master

Somatype

Unread postby baggettpv » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:11 am

This reminds me of stuff Andjei talked about in development. Track and Field is three events,
1. Sprint hurdles and jumps.
2. Throws
3 Long Distance running

Until they are 16 of so then the differences will tell.
An Elite Vaulter will be 6' plus, fast, strong and have the ability to move themselves above a high bar in many different ways.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC
Good coaching is good teaching.

volteur
PV Pro

Re: Somatype

Unread postby volteur » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:44 am

my coach has a story

it was 1985 i think and the World Cup was in Canberra. Efim was down at the track two days before the meet and Russian athlete came onto the track and started warming up. Efim and one of his apprentice coaches at the time watched. The athlete set up some hurdles and proceeded to do some walking drills and then some running drills. Then he set out 5 hurdles and proceeded to race over them very fast. Efim thought this must be the 110h guy. Then the athlete brought the hurdles in close but still at 3'6" and started double leg bounding over them. Then he started hopping over them! 3'6" by 6 hurdles. Then he cooled down and left.

Two days later they saw the same guy high jumping. It was Gennadiy Avdeyenko pb 2.38 and 3 years later gold medallist in Seoul.

I want to find an athlete like that!

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:30 am

I want to find an athlete like that!

Ha! Who doesn't ?

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”