wondering what everyone thinks of this plant

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

wondering what everyone thinks of this plant

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:25 pm

i have never seen anything like this before. Really wild. Its obviously working for him. But its def not the norm.

http://www.stabhochsprung.com/movies/20 ... eb_568.mov
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Erica
PV Whiz
Expertise: Olympian

Unread postby Erica » Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:50 pm

Looking at this vault, I am not sure it is the norm for him, either. It looks like he might just be out, and still pulled off a good jump. It would be interesting to see some of his other jumps to see if they all look like this. Usually when someone has a 'free takeoff' like he does in this video, they have a better angle off the ground. It looks like he has some lag time after the takeoff that would be eliminated if his step was on.

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:01 pm

DITTO!!!!!
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

VTechVaulter
PV Lover

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:57 pm

the reason i ask is that i have heard many coaches say that your hands need to be moving up at the instant of takeoff. Its almost a huge exageration of that. He has a very defined punch right before takeoff. Wish there was more video of him to look at. very intriguing
Brian Mondschein
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:52 pm

That Takeoff reminds me alot of Eshbach's takeoff. from we when I saw him jump before.

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

MY VIEWS

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:07 am

Different people will see many different things when viewing movies;
This is what I see when I view this movie:

At the take-off I see initially a very good take-off angle. This angle can only be seen if you still it and move the arrow back and forth.
The negative bend in the pole notes that the pole has not hit the back of the box as of yet. HE is in the best positioning to swing well on the pole with both arms up,
But then the vault loses its potential.
He presses in an effort to bend the pole over sooner. And the moment he does you see the swing flattening out. And the take off angle is reduced. This is a carbon pole so the top of the pole is stiff and the vaulter is struggling with maintaining penetration as well as keeping the vault at a smooth angle. He has perfected a hip drag to maintain a longer swing time. This is effective to store energy in the pole from the power of the swing. Then he speeds the swing up with less storage of energy by pressing with the bottom hand. If you slow the video down you will see that there is a pressing motion forward to try to bend the pole over. He has accomplished this only slightly. This action has increased the penetration and you see the pole move forward rather than upward. This is proven by looking at the hand grip and see in slow motion how it moves level across 1/3 of the gray sign in the back.

(SEE BUBKA 610 or Hartwig 570 video to see a fluid vault)
An over all view of the vault shows that it is in two parts rather than one smooth fluid motion. This can best be seen, as the back of the vaulter becomes level with the ground the pole is already returning to vertical but the vaulter has dissected the vault with a pause.

His center of mass moves in front of the pole prematurely which makes him speed up the vault up to keep up with the pole, which will cause him to be in front of the pole and not close to the pole for the maximum return of energy. The pole is thrusting him upward and he is pulling at an angle away from the pole; this action will reduce height but is successful for him as he gets some distance over the bar rather than going straight up and fighting to get over the bar.

There are signs that with a few changes he could jump much higher.
1. Staying fluid with the whole action of the pole; one motion not two.
a. The pressing forward action to force the pole to bend over did cause some killing of the pole swing and the vaulter swing. (My opinion)

2. Getting to the level back positioning before the pole starts to returns to vertical.
a. The pressing forward action to force the pole to bend over did cause some killing of the pole swing and the vaulter swing. (My opinion)

3. All the above resulted in an angular pull turn and push action.
a. Not allowing maximum angle of energy return.
b. However he needed to be at an angle or he would have had to fight to get over the bar if he converted the energy straight upward.

It is my opinion:

Overall this is well-executed vault with the exception that he can jump higher if he was not so focused on having to bend the pole over. Many things he has done are strictly to get the pole to perform rather than the fluidity of the vault.
This is a pretty vault and it is a very good jump, I say he has the talent to jump higher if he changes his focus.
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

gatorhatincracker
PV Fan

Unread postby gatorhatincracker » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:51 pm

ive seen this a hundred times....anyone who has seen rocky danners jump has seen it too.
Coach Frye: IF ITS TO BE....
USC TEAM (in unison) I M IN CLIQUE 3!

VTechVaulter
PV Lover

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:36 pm

gatorhatincracker wrote:ive seen this a hundred times....anyone who has seen rocky danners jump has seen it too.

not exactly. rockies had collapses at the instant the pole hits the box, then he rows it back out in the air. This guy collapses a step out from the box, and then drives the arm back out b4 it hits the box. Thats whats weird about it.
Brian Mondschein
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

My opinion

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:43 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:
gatorhatincracker wrote:ive seen this a hundred times....anyone who has seen rocky danners jump has seen it too.

not exactly. rockies had collapses at the instant the pole hits the box, then he rows it back out in the air. This guy collapses a step out from the box, and then drives the arm back out b4 it hits the box. Thats whats weird about it.

Are you refferring to the gathering of his last step?
the gather step is normal
Or that his arms are up then he presses with the bottom arm forward?
The change in angle of the pressing is a means to bend the pole more. Which I believe cause him ot not get the full height out of the vault. see above post
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”