technical model

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
carryabigstick
PV Fan

technical model

Unread postby carryabigstick » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:49 am

This thread may belong in advanced tech section but I was thinking it was ironic that all three USA team members were classic "tuck and shoot" vaulters. All have extreme shortening of the radius but manage to jump on monster big poles.
"pole vaulters are made in the last 4 strides"

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:19 am

You have this post in another spot already...
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Re: technical model

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:46 pm

carryabigstick wrote:This thread may belong in advanced tech section

it does.....moved.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

decanuck
PV Whiz

Unread postby decanuck » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:46 pm

What's ironic about that? I think it's pretty much expected. If all three members of the Russian team were tuck-and-shoot vaulters, now that would be ironic.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:59 pm

It just shows you how badly American is plagued by the tuck and shoot... Is a 6.4 meter jump not enough to knock some level of sense into elite vault coaches? I think some people REALLY need to get out more.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:00 pm

powerplant42 wrote:It just shows you how badly American is plagued by the tuck and shoot... Is a 6.4 meter jump not enough to knock some level of sense into elite vault coaches? I think some people REALLY need to get out more.

when did someone jumped 6.4 meters? am i missing something
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: technical model

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:04 pm

carryabigstick wrote:... I was thinking it was ironic that all three USA team members were classic "tuck and shoot" vaulters. All have extreme shortening of the radius but manage to jump on monster big poles.

I wouldn't call Brad a classic tuck-and-shooter. He has a very long, quick trail leg swing before he tucks.

Miles and Hartwig are classic.

I've heard all 3 of them in interviews, and they're all very articulate, bright men that seem to really know exactly what their bodies are doing. They make the minor adjustments in the big meets better than others. Smart vaulters.

I also think they might be making all the right mid-jump adjustments while in their tuck - which wouldn't be possible if they didn't tuck (as much)? Better than the younger, less experienced vaulters. My theory is that the tuck gives them more time to adjust. Maybe they can see the bar better in the tuck, compared to other models?

I'm very interested in hearing from someone that can defend the tuck/shoot model, because it's something that I just don't understand. I've never personally experienced it. I see it, it seems to work, but why I don't know.

I'm interested in the distinction between their intent and what they actually do. I'm guessing that Brad doesn't INTEND to tuck as much as Miles or Hartwig. I'm guessing that Hartwig's career (100+ >19') has been so reliable BECAUSE he tucks? i.e. other models aren't as reliable meet after meet?

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

volteur
PV Pro

Unread postby volteur » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:46 pm

I believe that any movement towards a tuck from a pike is a compensation for inefficiencies earlier in the vault eg takeoff.

The pike is the correct movement, however, if it cannot be achieved for a variety of reasons, the a tuck will allow that vault to be completed, albeit with less energy than if the pike had been maintained.

volteur

ps decanuck ... i agree it would be very ironic if the Soviet vaulters were all tuck vaulters.

What is thought of Gibilisco's technique?

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:01 am

volteur, I know what the Petrov modelists think of the tuck/shoot, so now I'm really hoping to hear from a genuine tuck/shooter that does it by INTENT.

I think that's the only way that we (those of us that have never "been there, done that") can fully comprehend it. And there's got to be something there, or there wouldn't be so many 19' vaulters that follow that model, eh?

And you do raise a good point. Now that you mention the pike, is it my imagination or does Brad pike more (and tuck less) on his better jumps?

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

volteur
PV Pro

Unread postby volteur » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:55 am

KirkB wrote:volteur, I know what the Petrov modelists think of the tuck/shoot, so now I'm really hoping to hear from a genuine tuck/shooter that does it by INTENT.

I think that's the only way that we (those of us that have never "been there, done that") can fully comprehend it. And there's got to be something there, or there wouldn't be so many 19' vaulters that follow that model, eh?

And you do raise a good point. Now that you mention the pike, is it my imagination or does Brad pike more (and tuck less) on his better jumps?

Kirk

Kirk, not that i jumped very high (5.10), however i was lucky my coach spent time in Formia with Vitaly and absorbed his technical model. He then trained me in this way, however, i didn't compete again after transforming my basic model. However, i believe 5.40 should be pretty commonplace for a decathlete these days. I did jump 5m off 10 strides during my training-only phase indicating 5.40 was not unrealistic.

I discovered on the high bar mainly (and to a lesser extent on the rings and ropes) that a pike gave me more vertical energy than a tuck. The problem with maintaining my pike was due to a lack of strength in the shoulder girdle and to a lesser extent in the torso. As these increased it became easier to hold the pike. Pilates and the gymnastic strength movement - the ab rock, also indicated to me the difference in potential energy between the tuck and the pike.

I looked at as many Brad vaults as youtube gave me and i can't tell really whether he tucks less on his best vaults. What i did notice is he tucks later on his 6.04 compared to the others. He still seems to fully tuck though on the 6.04.

I do think that the tuck causes a slowdown (or a passive phase as agapit terms it) which then translates to a slow down over the bar. The tuck does seem to allow for a very active shoot though.

Great work on your Bryde Bend! It will take some time for me to read it all but i am enjoying it. I wish i had enough knowledge (and maybe confidence) to put out my own thoughts for critical appraisal, although the view i have is far better enunciated by Agapit himself and i defer to his specific vault knowledge on the Petrov inspired model.

volteur

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:54 am

Good morning

The one thing that I have observed for the best jumps of the “tuck” vaulters has been the speed of the inversion. I have tried to time the rotation around the shoulder axis.. from the point of the “back”/spine being parallel to the runway to the point that it is vertical.

It is such a short time that it can be hundredths of seconds.. between good and bad.. but the rotation has seemed to be more accelerated on Jeff Hartwig’s best jumps..

I have tried to solve that “force” issue going all the way back to Kozakiewicz, who “tucked” with frog legs.. but he inverted very quickly after a hugh plant.

During Vigneron’s and Bubka’s big “Bubka-Vigneron-Bubka” world record battle in 1984? During the same competition… Vigneron had less “tuck” on his best jumps..

Various jumpers, men and women, use some type of “shortening of the radius” to accelerate the body to an advantageous exit position.. Chelisa Johnson pulls one leg back to get in position and we see several variations of the "inversion move" that all have to play to the physics of the event... and that jumper.

If you “stop frame” many of Bubka’s jumps it might be misconstrued that he “tucks” to some degree..

My opinion, from a physics stand point, is it is the speed of the radius covered that makes the difference and that the athlete is “matching up” with the pole design they are using..

dj

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:42 am

powerplant42 wrote:
It just shows you how badly American is plagued by the tuck and shoot... Is a 6.4 meter jump not enough to knock some level of sense into elite vault coaches? I think some people REALLY need to get out more.

when did someone jumped 6.4 meters? am i missing something

Please don't make it like it didn't happen... it was a 6.4 jump over a much lower bar, and you know it.

All I'm saying is that the Petrov model, when learned as well as Bubka did, will ALWAYS be dominant over an equally sized opponent that has mastered the tuck and shoot...
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”