take-off point

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Re: take-off point

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:46 pm

So does the formula prove that a takeoff further back than vertical is inefficient? Petrov as much as says so in Appendix A of BTB2, but why then does Bubka think that getting a bit of airtime on takeoff (i.e. a pre-jump) is good? You can't get this airtime if you're under or vertical, so the only way to get it is to be out a bit. From practical experience, I'm in the camp that thinks being out a bit is good, but I'm willing to try to understand the science behind this, and to listen to other opinions.

I think it is more of what he strove to accomplish on every jump, rather than what actually happened. It is the act of completing the take off before the pole hits the back that he strove for, so that there is very very limited time during which the pole is bending and the vaulter is NOT swinging. That only happens somewhere between a perfectly free, and pre-take off.

I also believe it has a lot more to do with your hands than people give it credit for. Your take off can be 6" under but if you move your hands behind your head as your trail leg leaves the ground and extends behind you, "Vwala" you are minimizing the "drive phase" because essentially your hands have moved your take off 6" back. Now think of a perfect "free" take off. If bubka moved his hands slightly behind his head at take off, as he left the ground, he is essentially reducing the drive phase AND the impact of the pole against the back of the box, both energy killers. I believe THAT is what he strove to do, and it has a lot less to do with take off point, than it does body position at and throughout the take off.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:59 pm

I think that it's all about finding the perfect balance between not losing much take-off (jump) velocity, being as tall as possible at pole-strike (free take-off/pre-jump). All the hands need to do is go UP, right above the head through take-off. I think an important point that we might be missing is that we forget the fact that Bubka grew taller through his take-off... his arms were not fully extended before he left the ground. Perhaps the plot thickens? Somebody please shed some light on this... it's starting to irritate me! :D
your hands have moved your take off 6" back.

I'm not sure I understand this statement. Are you referring to, at pole-strike, the hands have stayed behind him in an attempt to be 'on' at the moment of pole-strike? Bold statement... it might be true, but I doubt there is any footage of a high enough frame rate out there that could prove this, nor has this ever occurred to me. If it is true, nobody has really ever spoke of it. I think that it would be detrimental actually, for many of the reasons that I have mentioned about KB's 'split', but also because I think that it would lower the pole-ground angle at pole-strike, as well as introduce the bottom arm into the equation very early. Like I said earlier in the post, Bubka 'grew' through take-off. How would he do this as well? Maybe I just misinterpreted what you wrote. Can you explain this idea further?

ps... it's 'voila'.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:00 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:... there is very very limited time during which the pole is bending and the vaulter is NOT swinging. ...
To break this down:
1. You Jump.
2. You have a split second of airtime - or none at all (but assuming you're not "under").
3. The pole hits the back of the box.
4. The pole starts to bend, and there's immediate pressure on the top hand from the pole's impact. These are both as a result of #3.
5. You either (a) resist the pressure, causing you to swing, or (b) drive forwards towards the pit (rather than swinging about the fulcrum of the top hand) by driving your chest thru and letting your top hand go back behind your head.

For the moment, don't worry about whether (a) or (b) is most desirable. Can we agree that it's either (a) or (b) that must happen? Those are the only 2 options, right?

But to be a little more precise, no matter how much you try, you can't perfect 5b. There will always be a slight swing, no matter how much you strive to prevent it. You might not even be cognizant of this slight swing, but it's got to be there (due to the laws of physics), right?

Vault3rb0y, if that's the sequence you mean, and you're talking about "Style 5b", then I agree that NOT swinging is possible (except for the slight, unintended swing).

Style 5a would be the 5.40 model, I think, where you MUST swing immediately upon impact by intent. According to Agapit, that swing would be induced by a "lat pull" of the bottom arm. I would like to add that the top arm probably plays an even greater role in this "lat pull", but that's not Agapit's assertion. As always, Agapit will correct me if I'm wrong on this. I think that both hands do the "lat pull" in conjunction with the Whip.

vault3rb0y wrote:I also believe it has a lot more to do with your hands than people give it credit for. Your take off can be 6" under but if you move your hands behind your head as your trail leg leaves the ground and extends behind you, ... you are minimizing the "drive phase" because essentially your hands have moved your take off 6" back. Now think of a perfect "free" take off. If bubka moved his hands slightly behind his head at take off, as he left the ground, he is essentially reducing the drive phase AND the impact of the pole against the back of the box, both energy killers. I believe THAT is what he strove to do, and it has a lot less to do with take off point, than it does body position at and throughout the take off.
You said this very well.

Now add this to that: Suppose everything is moved back 6". If you take off directly below the top hand, and STILL "move your hands slightly behind your head at takeoff", that's even better, is it not? For all the same reasons - reduce the passive drive phase, and tighter core on impact (i.e. less energy leakage).

Now move it all back another 4" (for instance). Would that not be an even better takeoff? I know that Pogo will argue the physics of this, and he may win the argument from a theoretical standpoint. But what if you consider that you can never be more precise than 2" (for example) from your target takeoff point. So isn't it better to hit 2" behind vertical (±2") than to hit directly below your top hand (±2")? In other words, allow for some tolerance, and NEVER BE UNDER!

In my experience, whenever I was under, I bailed. I was jolted, and couldn't Jump to the Split. So I preferred to err on the side of more airtime before the pole's impact. I know I'm alone on this, but I just wanted to say that being under NEVER worked for me, and being OUT a bit ALWAYS worked. I don't think I was ever TOO FAR out. If that was ever going to be the case, I think I overstrode so that I wasn't. And if I was REALLY too far out (even after over-striding), I bailed. I bailed on maybe 10-20% of my jumps, on average.

You may not appreciate this last paragraph if you haven't experienced it, but I think the rest of this post applies whether your intent is to (a) Jump out a bit, or (b) be directly under the top hand.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:29 am

The last paragraph is what I'm talking about when I say we need to find the 'balance'. I'm still not sure I understand the whole 6'' back thing. I'm pretty sure I'm misinterpreting what vaulterboy said. Can somebody help me out?

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:40 am

The pole contacts the back of the box when the takeoff foot is just leaving the ground. So standing flat footed and checking your step is a false way of seeing the action occuring. Try checking your step from the place seen but instead of standing flat footed rise up on your takeoff toe and see what happens to you body angle.
Really guys check out the youtube segment on the takeoff position. It's free and I am NOT trying to sell my DVD's from this post.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC
Good coaching is good teaching.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:13 am

baggettpv wrote:The pole contacts the back of the box when the takeoff foot is just leaving the ground. So standing flat footed and checking your step is a false way of seeing the action occuring. Try checking your step from the place seen but instead of standing flat footed rise up on your takeoff toe and see what happens to you body angle.
Really guys check out the youtube segment on the takeoff position. It's free and I am NOT trying to sell my DVD's from this post.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

He is referring to this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj9jSCKF5do

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:15 am

The pole contacts the back of the box when the takeoff foot is just leaving the ground. So standing flat footed and checking your step is a false way of seeing the action occuring. Try checking your step from the place seen but instead of standing flat footed rise up on your takeoff toe and see what happens to you body angle.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

Just leaving the ground WHERE? An inch? 2? 6? I guess it would depend on height/speed/grip height? MID might have something to do with it maybe? And are you saying that the foot should still be on the ground (even minimally) at pole-strike? No pre-jump? I'm just trying to get a REALLY clear picture in my head of how take-off should occur. What is where when and moving where and how? It's too bad there's no film of Bubka take-off foot and pole-tip synched up at his take-off...

Yes, I completely agree with checking the step extended. But should the pole tip be in the back of the box? If it should, how far back should the toe be? If you take-off directly under the top hand and the pole tip is still in the air as Petrov suggests, (by how much?) shouldn't the vaulter check their step accordingly?

Sorry for all the questions... O:-)

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:59 pm

There's a couple good sources about this. Baggett's vid clip is one good one. In it, he says that "You don't want to be in support of the pole and the ground at the same time.", and then goes on to suggest that you should be approx. 2" back, and 3" up. The 3" up is in reference to being on your toes (actually, just OFF your toes) when the pole hits the back off the box.

In Petrov's "1985 Presentation to European Coaches Congress, Birmington, UK" (Appendix A of BTB2), he says "In no circumstances should the pole be put into the box before the end of the take off."

Those 2 experts are in 100% agreement on that point.

To add to that, I'm proposing that you might want to provide some tolerance, such as another 2" behind your takeoff toe. That gives you a free takeoff even if your step is 2" in from its target, and it gives you a 4" gap (pre-jump?) if your step is 2" out from its target.

These are just examples. Your milage will vary. Since I like having the gap (which I call "airtime") in my Bryde Bend, I'd set the target takeoff to be maybe 4" out. If you're new to the free takeoff concept (i.e. you're typically "under" by intent), then you might want to GRADUALLY shift your takeoff out over time. So you'd set your target at 0" (exactly as Baggett suggests - when you're on your tippy-toes).

Powerplant42, you ask some good questions, but perhaps you ask too many. If you specifically reference Baggett's vid and Petrov's paper, some of your questions are already answered. That still leaves some unanswered, and I think those are the ones that we should focus on. In other words, I don't think we should rehash stuff that's already well documented by the experts in vids and papers. Unless of course you just don't agree with them. I don't think that's the case (on this thread, at least), so let's just try to zoom in on exactly what's the optimum "take-off point" - the subject of this thread.

Powerplant42 wrote:Just leaving the ground WHERE? An inch? 2? 6? I guess it would depend on height/speed/grip height? MID might have something to do with it maybe? ...

Quick answers, based on Baggett's vid ...

Leave the ground 2" behind flat-footed vertical. This is agnostic to height/speed/grip/mid. That's becuz (other than speed and mid) those factors are already built into measuring the takeoff from placing the pole in the box with your target grip. Speed/mid are not factors at all. Really, I think that your target COMFORT and POSTURE are important factors that you DIDN'T mention. So once you figure out your target takeoff based on measuring with the pole, then shift it forwards or back a bit (preferably back) depending on your comfort level, and your desired takeoff posture. This is the part that will vary from one vaulter to the next, and from start-of-season to end-of-season as you get more experienced/comfortable with a free takeoff.

Powerplant42 wrote:... And are you saying that the foot should still be on the ground (even minimally) at pole-strike? No pre-jump?

Neither expert is saying this. It should be very clear from the vid and the paper that the foot should NOT still be on the ground at pole-strike - not even MINIMALLY!

I'm not arguing in favor of the Bryde Bend here. I'm arguing in favor of the Petrov model. My stuff can only be experimented with AFTER you experience a good "traditional" Petrov model takeoff. I'm coming to the conclusion that my Bryde Bend is just a "style" within the scope of the Petrov "model".

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:00 pm

I am glad this conversation has moved more from what the perfect jump looks like, and erring on the side of how to take an imperfect jump (outside or under) and using it to make it as perfect as possible. Especially because (i believe i read) many of bubkas world records were achieved while slightly under.

Kirk, I agree with everything you said. we strive for 5b but, as far as i know, no one has truly achieved it. My whole point was that a lot of people will take off where they are "on" or "free", and drive their hands forward, losing so much energy that a free take off doesnt really benefit them. Basically it comes down to this- a free take off is only as good as what your hands do with it.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:47 pm

I think I understand what you mean now... not back, just straight up.

Leave the ground 2" behind flat-footed vertical. This is agnostic to height/speed/grip/mid. That's becuz (other than speed and mid) those factors are already built into measuring the takeoff from placing the pole in the box with your target grip. Speed/mid are not factors at all. Really, I think that your target COMFORT and POSTURE are important factors that you DIDN'T mention. So once you figure out your target takeoff based on measuring with the pole, then shift it forwards or back a bit (preferably back) depending on your comfort level, and your desired takeoff posture. This is the part that will vary from one vaulter to the next, and from start-of-season to end-of-season as you get more experienced/comfortable with a free takeoff.

I disagree on the issue of speed being a factor in take-off point (relative to the plumb line). Let's talk in extremes for a second... Imagine two vaulters with the same vertical jump of 24 inches. If vaulter A is taking off with a 1 m/s take-off speed, they will need to be closer to the plumb line, almost directly on top of it. If vaulter B is at 100 m/s at take-off, then they will need to be much further behind the plumb line, because in order to reach this 'balance' that I'm talking about, TIME is the major factor. You want to be at the point in your jump where you're about two inches off the ground (we should discuss what is desired here too...) when your pole tip hits the back of the box. Now, I don't know how big of a factor this is for more realistic speeds, but I do know that elite vaulters should be taking off further out from the plumb line than beginners.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:08 pm

Powerplant42, I think you're getting off base again. I'm definitely talking about horizontal distances when I'm talking about being "under" or "out", and when I'm referring to 2" or 4".

I think Vaulterboy is too. His quote is "your hands have moved your takeoff 6" back". That's HORIZONTALLY back, not VERTICALLY.

If you get back to thinking about the HORIZONTAL distance, you'll understand that speed and mid play no part in this - for the reasons I explained in my previous post.

Kirk

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:41 pm

Powerplant42, Linthorne's paper might help you shed some light on this. I know his scientific papers have been discussed on several PVP threads in the past, but all prior to my involvement, and all with a slightly different focus, so pardon any repetition ...

Here's a THIRD excellent source of some expertise on this "optimum take-off point" discussion. I think it BEGINS TO explain what Vaulterboy is saying "your hands have moved your takeoff 6 inches back".

http://people.brunel.ac.uk/~spstnpl/Publications/PoleVault(Linthorne).pdf (This URL wasn't highlighted properly, until I wrapped it with the URL button (directly above your edit window - when you're editing a post.)

The title of this paper is "Energy loss in the pole vault take-off and the advantage of the flexible pole" - Nicholas P. Linthorne (c) 2000.

He also publishes his entire algorithm here :
J9. Linthorne N.P. "Mathematical model of the takeoff phase in the pole vault" Journal of Applied Biomechanics 10 (4) 323–334 (1994). (Abstract) (Publisher)

As an aside, I wish I had good references like this when I was vaulting. All I had was "Mechanics of the Pole Vault" - Dr. Richard Ganslen, and unfortunately, some of his stuff was just wrong - such as pressing with the bottom arm. That misinformation continues to haunt many modern-day vaulters - from the high-school level right thru to the elite vaulters.

So today, you guys HAVE these scientific resources, so USE THEM!

One thing interesting (and surprising) that I found in this paper was that Linthorne concluded that the optimal takeoff angle for a world-class fiberglass vaulter is 18° (compared to 30° for a steel vaulter).

This conclusion is supported by scientific evidence. He developed a software algorithm to compare various combinations of vault height, grip, push height, take-off angle, take-off velocity, and pole stiffness. He then plotted this output graphically, and compared it to the parameters of known world-class vaults. He references all of his sources in typical scientific paper style. In other words, it's scientifically sound - no conjecture; no opinions; no biases. Just sound scientific evidence. I like that!

The present paper proposes a mathematical model of pole vaulting that includes the
relation between the take-off angle and the takeoff velocity, and accounts for the energy losses in the pole plant and take-off phases of the vault. The aim was to produce a model that accurately predicts the optimum combination of take-off velocity, take-off angle, pole stiffness, and grip height for a typical world-class pole vaulter.

I underlined the part that relates to "what the hands are doing".

He asserts that there's 2 aspects of the advantage of fiberglass over steel. 1. higher grip. 2. lower takeoff angle. We all know the first one. The second one surprised me, as I'd never ever read a scientific study on this before last weekend. Read on ...

The most credible explanation for the higher grips when using a flexible pole is that the pole reduces the shock experienced by the vaulter, and so less energy is dissipated in the vaulter's body during the take-off ... The vaulter therefore has a higher take-off velocity, and is able to rotate a longer pole to vertical.

... and ...
Linthorne (1994) noted that the take-off angles for vaulters using fibreglass poles are lower than for vaulters using bamboo or steel poles ... He suggested that part of the contribution to the advantage of a flexible pole may be that the optimum take-off angle is lower, and so the vaulter does not lose as much kinetic energy when jumping up at take-off.

That makes perfect sense to me!
There is a reduction in velocity when the vaulter plants the take-off leg and jumps up off the ground, and a further reduction when the vaulter plants the pole into the take-off box. In this model, the energy loss associated with the vaulter's jump is separated from that of the pole plant, even though in practice these two events usually occur simultaneously. Here, take-off velocity refers to the velocity as the vaulter jumps up off the ground, just before planting the pole into the take-off box.

Note the sequence: Jump; then Impact. (i.e. if you define the final point of the plant as the point in time when the pole impacts the box, then Linthorne's assuming "Jump off the ground first; then Impact the back of the box" - the same as Baggett and Launder.
... the description of the pole plant phase of the vault was revised to include a mechanism for dissipation of energy in the vaulter's body.

Now we're getting to "what the hands are doing" ...
As the pole is planted into the take-off box, the vaulter attempts to maintain the orientation of the arms and torso through muscular activation, but the force exerted by the pole is too great, and so the vaulter's arms are deflected backward relative to the shoulders, and the vaulter's torso is deflected backward relative to the hips. Work is done by the pole in reorienting the vaulter's body against its muscular forces. Some of the vaulter's kinetic energy is therefore dissipated as heat in the vaulter's muscles. Energy may also be dissipated by inelastic stretching of the tendons and ligaments as the body is hyperextended.

This "heat" and "inelastic stretching" is what I shorten to "leakage". And then ...
During the take-off, the relative deflection of the pole is usually less than a few percent, and so the force exerted by the pole on the vaulter is approximately equal to the Euler buckling load ...

... so he includes "leakage" in his algorithm, using the "Euler buckling load" formula ...
When vaulting with a pole of high stiffness, the force exerted by the pole on the vaulter is larger, resulting in a more extreme deflection of the vaulter's body, and hence a greater dissipation of energy.

... and he also includes "pole stiffness" in his algorithm ...
The parameter k in Equation 3 characterizes the 'stiffness' of the vaulter's body in the pole plant phase of the vault. The value of k reflects the level of resistance of the vaulter's arms and torso to being deflected backward relative to the hips by the pole.

... and he also includes "additional leakage due to the rigidity of the vaulter's body on impact" into his algorithm. This point is also stressed by Launder in BTB2, and by Agapit. i.e. Minimize leakage by eliminating passive phases and by not "dropping the lead knee" and by not "crumbling on impact" (my words - not theirs).

So there you have it! Clear as mud? :)

I've purposely just quoted snippets to give you the gist of this paper. I hope this is sufficiently interesting to inspire you to read the full paper. Only then can you begin to digest and understand this "Jump." (i.e. takeoff) part of the vault more fully.

I still don't think "what the hands are doing" is fully explained by Linthorne. He only alludes to it a bit. But his paper is a good starting point to our discussion about this. He puts it into the framework of understanding (and minimizing) energy losses when the pole hits the box - and why that's important (CRITICAL!) to the efficiency of the Petrov model.

Do you resist the top hand going back or not? If so, how much, and when?

But I think this is a good start to zeroing in on that unanswered question.

"What the top hand (and shoulder ... and chest ...) is doing" just after takeoff is just as important as what the trail leg foot is doing. It all happens within a split second after takeoff! And as Vaulterboy suggests, it does affect your target takeoff point!

Kirk

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”