Duplantis Videos

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
dracjr
PV Beginner
Expertise: former college vaulter,high school coach,parent
Lifetime Best: 15'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: Duplantis Videos

Unread postby dracjr » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:18 am

130lbs. maybe in h.s. on 170/175lbs. poles ran low 4.5 in 40 yd. dash as soph. in 1979: all you had to know about greg was his volicity at 10 to 5 meters from the box, no one has carried more speed through the take off that i have seen

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:19 pm

Dr. Peter McGinnis sent me a spread sheet a few years ago with speed trap times from major meets. There were two athletes who were consistently the fastest. Those two were Scott Huffman and Greg Duplantis. They were consistently right at 10.00 or close to it on several jumps, even more so than Bubka himself. This can be expected as they were also two of the shortest guys to ever jump over 5.80, which goes to show you how important speed really is.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon May 13, 2013 6:27 am

"even more so than Bubka himself. This can be expected as they were also two of the shortest guys to ever jump over 5.80, which goes to show you how important speed really is."

Given that they jumped significantly lower than Bubka - even though you say they were faster into takeoff - does that not suggest that technique was THE critical factor in the difference between their results. Folks, I think it is important to remember that there are no prizes for 'style' in track and field nor are there awards for how high folk jumped on short poles. The total package involves being able to grip high on big poles - that is what Petrov based his initial searches on as he looked for a more efficient technique of pole vaulting. So you can live in the past if you want to but if a vaulter cannot grip high on big poles with the technical ability to exploit those poles they will not reach truly elite level - say 6.05m.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Unread postby PV2020 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:00 pm

No it shows that Duplantis being 6 inches or more shorter than Bubka and Huffman around 4 inches shorter had a great deal to why he did not jump any higher. That and lack of explosive ability in comparison. Yes Bubka may have had technique, but you can't tell me Duplantis running that fast with a 6 inch higher grip would not have gone much higher.

DJ once posted on here that one inch in reach equaled four inches in grip. (He may have been referring to a deeper box). I know it is not linear but if it is ANYWHERE close. Duplantis could have gripped at least a foot higher had he been taller.

One of the best sayings. There are good left handed vaulters, there are good right handed vaulters, there are good tall vaulters, and there are good short vaulters, but there are no good slow vaulters. Yes there are guys that are 'slower' and they are usually taller. I think a better statement would be, there are no good slow short vaulters.
Last edited by PV2020 on Tue May 14, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue May 14, 2013 11:14 pm

Just for the record PV2020 and Barto - I do value both of you and your opinions - even when I disagree with them!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”