Duplantis Videos

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Duplantis Videos

Unread postby Barto » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:10 pm

Best pole vaulter ever. Those are all 16' poles in the videos.

http://mardigrastrackclub.com/home/inde ... &Itemid=36
Facts, Not Fiction

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Re: Duplantis Videos

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:00 pm

Best pole vaulter ever? or fastest pole vaulter ever? haha man he is moving. looks a good bit under though. but sweet jump for sure!!
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:16 pm

5'5" guys are not going to jump very high with an "out" step. That being said Greg's step was usually right "on" to 4" under.
Facts, Not Fiction

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:33 am

Barto wrote:5'5" guys are not going to jump very high with an "out" step. That being said Greg's step was usually right "on" to 4" under.

Nobody will jump high with an "out" step... But I think he could jump higher with an on step. And judging from the slower frame parts I would say he is around a foot under. I think it is more crucial for a shorter guy to takeoff "on" to utilize grip height. Look at fefanova, she is 5'3 and takes off about a foot before her pole strikes (which is out to me) but she has one of the highest pushoffs for females. And in the 89 video he carries the pole almost parallel the entire way. I definately don't think he is one of the best technicians out there, but he has to be one of the most explosive polevaulters ever.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:01 am

good morning

22 steps on the 1991 stockholm..

and check the correct start position.... plus early plant..

probally a "tad" under but fiberglass allows for a little forgiveness if you are early and moving the pole "up".

also compare the first jump on this thread with Tully's 18-6 jump that was posted....

dj

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:24 pm

Duplantis had the fastest run of any American vaulter in the '90s. I trained with him for a while and he was an unbelievable athlete. I was in the meet where he jumped his PR of 19'. We used to call him Super Duper. :)

This vault shows how hard it is for a short vaulter to jump a world class height. Look at how extreme the angle is between his pole and the ground at takeoff. A 6’ 4” athlete would be griping 17’4” or higher taking off at the same point, and the angle of the pole would be about 10 degrees higher. This is a huge advantage. The less angle you have the harder it is to get the pole moving. For an athlete like Jeff Hartwig to have the same angle as Duplantis, he would have to take off somewhere around 16’ and would have to be griping over 18'.

This is why short vaulters are few and far between and have to be either great technicians or fantastic athletes. But it is possible to do, and this possibility is entirely due to the nature of fiberglass vaulting. In the stiff pole days, the chord of the pole was exactly as long as the height of the athlete’s grip, and a short vaulter simply could not grip high enough to compete. A fiberglass pole can be bent enough that the smaller vaulter can still get in with a high enough grip to be effective. They can also make use of their superior gymnastic ability to make up ground on a taller vaulter. Dean Dial practically invented a technique that allowed Joe and I to compete that took advantage of this fact. This is one of the reasons why Duplantis came up to train with us, and his vaulting really took off after that.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:15 pm

hey

and tim if taller vaulters implimented the same technique you guys used they would be gripping 17 feet and jumping world records...

tully and i sat down with jeff buckingham to "pick his brain". i wanted tully to understand if, at his sizeand with his maximum posible speed, he could jump like jeff and set a world record..

we got some of the technique done but not all...

and i must say this "type" of jumping can only be accomplished on a "george moore" type pole design.. i continue to see vaulters "change their technique" and change the "physics" because of pole design... i wish it wasn't so... and i wish that when we started getting more pole companies and designs it was a "blessing" and not a curse.. but more in this case may mean we are holding the event back.

sorry that was "two" topics... but you can't have "technique" without considering the pole.

dj

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:24 pm

Guy that posted this... ur tha man, ive been searching for a video of duplantis for over 2 years now.

He comes from an 11 in one video... does anyone know how far back that was?

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:53 pm

Greg is legendary! Even his height is has become legendary over the years!

http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=8530

oldvaulter wrote:This just in from Greg Duplantis himself, posted on another forum. He had been asked just exactly how tall he was when he first made 19'. Here's his reply (in quotation marks):

"It appears I am getting shorter as I get older. Literally. But, at the time I jumped 5.80 19-1/4 I was exactly 5'-6''. I have seen my height quoted as 5-10" to now an alltime low 5-4". I grew an amazing inch from high school . I graduated,at 5-5, weighing 125lbs."

Short vaulters take heart!

As to his technique, Barto, I'll try to critique it, but I don't have much to say, other than "WOW"!!!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:13 am

The link at the top of this thread - to Greg's vids - still works, but the vids are gone. A note on the site says that it was editted on Thu Sep 18. I saw the vids prior to then, but I can't see them now.

Is it just me???

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

kat_vaulter
PV Nerd

Unread postby kat_vaulter » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:05 am

The videos are still there! He was a hell of a vaulter. I think his son is going to beat him though. Mondo has already broke 2 WR's.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:14 pm

Hmm ... they're back! And all I did was hit Refresh this morning.

I checked the "Last Updated" date at the bottom of the page, and it's still set to Thu Sep 18 - I guess it was just a temporary glitch.

Gotta run - I'll get to my comments about Greg's technique later.

Kirk

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”