Pole Vault Research

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Pole Vault Research

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:41 pm

After seeing mention of a few scientific papers regarding pole vault, I thought it would be a good idea to try and compile a list of some pole vault related journal articles and science papers. I have included links for two articles here:

http://www.athleticscoaching.ca/UserFil ... ke-off.pdf

http://www.pvei.com/docs/doc-pv-spencer.pdf
-Nick

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Pole Vault Research

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:06 am

Here's another one ...

Energy loss in the pole vault take-off and the advantage
of the flexible pole (Linthorne 2000)

http://people.brunel.ac.uk/~spstnpl/Publications/PoleVault(Linthorne).pdf

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:18 am

This one is the best.

Read it and understand it.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC
Good coaching is good teaching.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:38 am

You can find Roman Botcharnikov's paper "The Continuous Chain Model in the Pole Vault" here ...

http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16118

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Sat May 23, 2009 9:37 am

Here is one, author is one of Jan Johnson old vaulters, to my knowledge. Now PhD in Exercise physiology.
The link on pubmed.gov only gives the abstract so here is actual rerence call number if you have access to research material

J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 1994 Jun;34(2):179-84.
Anthropometric characteristics and performance related predictors of success in adolescent pole vaulters.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sat May 23, 2009 2:20 pm

Hey

Do you think Peter McGinnis or one of his associates could give us access to the studies they did?? I know when I worked with Tully we always got a hard copy of the data on every vaulter, with stick figures.., that was collected from two or three of the big meets.

I think Bemiller also got the same data for Tim that was done at all his big meets.

The data I’m referring to was the meters per second the takeoff in relationship to vertical at the plant. Swing time to release. Maximum bend etc…

That stuff really broke down the speed, distance, free takeoff ...or not… angles.. etc.

dj

ps.. check ------ http://www.iaaf.org/development/studies ... index.html

yankee814
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Hooker

Unread postby yankee814 » Sun May 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Sophomore 2nd year Vaulter

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:26 am

This is the references page to my most recent research take it upon your self to track down some of these articles..

References
Angulo-Kinzler, M. R., Kinzler, B. S., Balius, X., Turro, C. Caubet, M. J., Escoda, J., & Prat, A. J. (2004).
Biomechanical analysis of the pole vault event. Journal of Applied Biomechanics, 10, 147-165.

Bassement, M., Goss-Sampson, M., & Garnier, C. (2007). A kinematics analysis of the pole vault take-off. Computer
Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 79-80. doi: 10.1080/10255840701478521

Bemiller, J., & Hardin, R. (2010). Risk management in the original extreme sporting event: The pole vault. Journal of
Physical Education Recreation and Dance, 81(2), 23-28.

Frère, J., L'Hermette, M., Slawinski, J., & Tourny-Chollet, C. (2010). Mechanics of pole vaulting: A review. Sports
Biomechanics, 9(2), 123—138. dio: 10.1080/14763141.2010.492430

Linthorne, P. N. (1994). Mathematical model of the take off phase in the pole vault. Journal of Applied Biomechanics,
10, 323-334.

Linthorne, P. N. (2000). Energy loss in the pole vault take-off and the advantage of the flexible pole. Sport Engineering,
3, 205-218.

Liu, G., Nguang, K., & Zhang, Y. (2011). Pole vault performance for anthropometric variability via a dynamical optimal
control model. Journal of Biomechanics, 44, 436-444. doi: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2010.09.025

McGinnis, M., Peter initial, & Bergman, A. L. (1986). An inverse dynamic analysis of the pole vault. International Journal
of Sport Biomechanics, 2, 186-201.

Mesnard, M., Morlier, J., & Cid, M. (2007). An essential performance factor in pole-vaulting. Académie Des Sciences,
335, 382–387.

Schade, F., Arampatzis, A., Bruggemann, P. (2006). Reproducibility of energy parameters in the pole vault.
Journal of Biomechanics, 39, 1464-1471. doi: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2005.03.027

Scott, D., Scott, M. L., & Goldwater, B. (1997). A performance improvement program for and international level track and
field athlete. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 3(30), 573-575.

Sullivan, J. J., Knowlton, G. R., Hetzler, K. R., & Woelke,
L. P. (1994). Anthropometric characteristics and performance related predictors of success in adolescent
pole vaulters. The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical
Fitness, 34(2), 179-182.

julienfrere
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former vaulter - PhD in biomechanics
Lifetime Best: 3m70
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby julienfrere » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:52 am

Hi there,

This is my first post in this community (I hope not the last), just to say that I'm a french sports scientist on biomechanics and neurosciences. For my PhD, I focused on pole vault biomechanics and upper-limbs muscles coordination during a vault. You can find all my publications (pdf) on my own website... sorry, all is in french except the scientific publications:
http://sports.biomechanics.pagesperso-orange.fr/index.html
clic on "Publications" and on "Pour retrouver l'ensemble des mes publications et communications, cliquez ici." and then download the paper you want.

Also on "These", you can read the presentation of my defense (in english).

I have equally a lot a references that I could share if ask.

See you
we can laugh at anything but not with everyone [P. Desproges]

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:30 pm

Welcome Julien!

CONNEXE
PV Wannabe

Unread postby CONNEXE » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:03 am

Hi Julien,

In your review of pole vault mechanics you write:

"However, another pole vault take-off model should be mention in this review. This model
is widely used by coaches and corresponds to the Russian ‘free take-off ’, mastered by Sergey
Bubka and developed by his coach Vitaly Petrov. There is a free take-off when PP coincides
with the TO1 (Petrov, 2008). This take-off way has advantages such as, higher pole-ground
angle at PP, greater horizontal velocity and impulse at the take-off allowing the use of longer
and stiffer poles (Launder and Linthorne, 1990). Nevertheless, the free take-off implies the
vaulter to be able to produce high muscular strength with the upper-limbs, because of the
risk to be backward leaned. Moreover, the free take-off doesn’t allow applying some force
and moment on the pole while the athlete is still on the ground. Even if the free take-off
appears to be relevant for high pole vaulting performance, there is some lack of published
scientific research and the free take-off only concerned technical articles and coaches’
knowledge. Indeed, it would be interesting for further scientific and mechanic studies to
analyse the effects of the free take-off on the pole vaulting performance, the pole vaulter’s
velocities, and the applied force into the pole and to compare it with the classical take-off."

Can you explain why there is a risk to be backward leaned ?

julienfrere
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former vaulter - PhD in biomechanics
Lifetime Best: 3m70
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby julienfrere » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:29 am

CONNEXE wrote:Hi Julien,

In your review of pole vault mechanics you write:

"However, another pole vault take-off model should be mention in this review. This model
is widely used by coaches and corresponds to the Russian ‘free take-off ’, mastered by Sergey
Bubka and developed by his coach Vitaly Petrov. There is a free take-off when PP coincides
with the TO1 (Petrov, 2008). This take-off way has advantages such as, higher pole-ground
angle at PP, greater horizontal velocity and impulse at the take-off allowing the use of longer
and stiffer poles (Launder and Linthorne, 1990). Nevertheless, the free take-off implies the
vaulter to be able to produce high muscular strength with the upper-limbs, because of the
risk to be backward leaned. Moreover, the free take-off doesn’t allow applying some force
and moment on the pole while the athlete is still on the ground. Even if the free take-off
appears to be relevant for high pole vaulting performance, there is some lack of published
scientific research and the free take-off only concerned technical articles and coaches’
knowledge. Indeed, it would be interesting for further scientific and mechanic studies to
analyse the effects of the free take-off on the pole vaulting performance, the pole vaulter’s
velocities, and the applied force into the pole and to compare it with the classical take-off."

Can you explain why there is a risk to be backward leaned ?

Hi,
I should recognize that I've changed my mind about the free take-off and this paragraph you mention. You should be aware that the first draft of this paper was written maybe in 2007, submitted in the journal in 2008, reviewed and corrected in 2009, and finally published in 2010. Just to explain that my opinion about the free take-off had time to evolve in 5 years.

So, the spirit of this section was that the free take-off model, that we can associate to the Petrov model (in that case), is followed by the C position that is much marked than the "non-free take-off" (i.e., foot support below the upper hand at pole plant), in order to subsequently use the elastic component of the upper-limbs muscles during the swing and thus favouring an active swing. Also, one goal of the free take-off is to "wish to continue to run" when the pole vaulter is hanged to the pole just after take-off, while the intention of the "non-free take-off" is more to push on the pole with the lower arm (which is not necessarely the case in the free take-off; it is possible to do it but is not the central point). Consequently (and in this way of thinking), if the pole vaulter is not able to have a hyperflexion of the dominant shoulder (the arm is behind a right trunk), there are probably more chances to be backward leaned with a free take-off.

But, I recognized that it is not the best section of this review, probably because there are almost no scientific data with this technique !

I hope I answer to your question.

Regards,

Julien
we can laugh at anything but not with everyone [P. Desproges]

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”