Back to the Drawing Board...25 years ago

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
lonestar
PV Lover

Back to the Drawing Board...25 years ago

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:50 pm

"Right now, he's just so much better than anyone else," said Olson, who no-heighted Saturday. "We're going to have to go back to the drawing board."

Billy Olson commenting on how Bubka was outclassing himself and other former World Record Holders in 1984 at just Age 20.

"Some people make poems," he said. "And some people make films. Bubka vaults because it is the best way for him to explain himself. Even now he does not know what his capabilities are. Nobody knows, really." But everyone's starting to find out.

Vladimir Gheskin, a Soviet journalist-interpreter that accompanied the Soviet team when asked to describe Bubka.

And people still argue 25 years later about the best technique, best method, best model to vault. Amazing how it's taken most Americans 25 years to "go back to the drawing board" and most only after Alan Launder and Dave Butler have pushed the merits of the Petrov/Bubka Technical Model.

Great article: http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ ... /index.htm

Great video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWGyzPNXI_U
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Back to the Drawing Board...25 years ago

Unread postby dj » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:00 pm

hey

talking about going back... look at the diagram of the vault in the Linthorne paper....

Ganslen (1979) ..........wonder who that technique was from? looks pretty much like Lukyanenko from the 2008 Games?

dj

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:16 am

Pole vault take-off - Linthorne (from Ganslen 1979).JPG
Pole vault take-off - Linthorne (from Ganslen 1979).JPG (34.74 KiB) Viewed 12817 times

DJ, I was hoping YOU could tell ME who that was!

My best guess would be either Wolfgang Nordwig from the 1972 Olympics, or Tadeusz Ślusarski from the 1976 Olympics.

The best clues are from frames 6-7. Frame 6 could def be a Lukyanenko-style vaulter, but Frame 7 tells me that it's Nordwig, since he's LIFTING the lead leg back up, along with the trail leg.

If it was Ślusarski, his legs are closer together (actually more like Jason Colwick, but without the hyperextended C), and he SWINGS them up without much of a tuck.

Here's his vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8sjz7EbM5s

If it's some other knee dropper, I'm not aware of him. (Not that I was even aware of Ślusarski until recently.)

We are, however, getting a bit off Lonestar's thread topic, and I think it's a good one. In addition to his point about Petrov v. Drive models, I question why PV hasn't advanced much at all in the past 25 years - regardless of model. These guys were hitting 19'+ way back then!

I was VERY interested in reading all about Billy Olsen and Joe Dial, as I had not watched them in their era. I know Dial was a drive vaulter, but what was Olson's technique? More like Tulley, or more like Dial? I can't find any vids of Olson.

And if you overlook the flaws in Frame 7 of the Ganslen pics (the tuck), you could even say we've come full circle with Hooker and Lukyanenko. And that's MORE LIKE THIRTY-FIVE YEARS!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:19 am

hey

i was leaning toward Ślusarski... and of course i have considered the pole "design" they were on.

but there is one jump of Slusarski.. i think from the left side of the runway/pit.... that had a lot of what Earl was doing from 1975 to 1977.. and what we see in Hooker and Lukyanenko from the Games footage i have from BBC.

i think, action/reaction... application of force... creates what we see and call style...

dj

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:10 am

I believe the drawing is an East German rendering of Nordwig's jump. It first appeared in the west in Schmolinsky's work. I have an old copy of the book somewhere around here that has it in it.
Facts, Not Fiction

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:28 am

Does this mean anything to anyone???
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:56 am

"A MAN CONVINCED AGAINST HIS WILL STAYS OF THE SAME OPINION STILL!"
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

HHSPVCoach
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, now HS and college coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka, duh!

Unread postby HHSPVCoach » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:09 pm

Alan,

Are you getting my pm's? BTW, love the cartoon, can't believe how spot on it is.

phil

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:18 am

Thats doesnt just apply to americans vs other countries i assure you.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:36 pm

"Thats doesnt just apply to americans vs other countries i assure you."

Could you expand on that cryptic statement a little so we can understand what you are talking about. :confused:

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:40 pm

There are plenty of american vault coaches that know their trade and try to explain the methods to their madness, and still some other american vault coaches are still very hesitant to try to understand. Im just saying that the cartoon applies to all levels in all aspects of vaulting in the world.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:53 pm

Agreed! However it probably applies to everything humans are involved with. :yes:

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”