The Plant - Advanced Technique

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: The Plant - Advanced Technique

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:39 am

altius wrote:"But IF the bottom forearm is ACROSS your chest" - if it is then it is not in line with the Petrov model. :yes:

Fair enough. I'm not saying that my way was the Petrov way. (How could it be, eh?) I'm only saying how I did it, and it worked well for me. In fact, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

If I was coaching today, I wouldn't FORCE a vaulter to do it my way ... but I'd get them to try it ... along with the Petrov way ... which I've just learned ... and encourage them to carry it how it feels comfortable to them. I suspect that the most comfortable way might very well be the Petrov way for MOST vaulters today. But I don't know about that, as I've never tried it. I just carried it in the way that it was most comfortable to me.

And Tim, I'm quite sure that my vision was all to the right of the pole (I vaulted left-handed). This would be distinctly different than what you describe.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: The Plant - Advanced Technique

Unread postby KirkB » Thu May 21, 2009 5:14 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Kirk, where was your bottom hand when you started your run? Right by your sternum or your right shoulder?

If you look at the pic I posted on my Bryde Bend thread today, I think this question is finally answered. :yes:

http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=15483&start=144

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”