Non-Petrovers

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Re: Non-Petrovers

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:34 pm

altius wrote:"You will have noted on Page 9 of BTB2 that I list the elements that are necessary to create the perfect coaching context necessary for athletes to reach the highest level. If they are not in place then it will be difficult if not impossible for anyone to break Bubka's record - or that of Isinbayeva for that matter.".

It is both sad and strangely comforting to know that other coaches struggle with some of the same limitations that I have struggled with my whole career. Without a doubt it takes special circumstances to produce a great jump. I remember the first day I was at OU and realized that I had a pit that I could jump on any time I wanted. I vaulted till my hands bled.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:05 pm

"He vaulted 2 personal bests this weekend from 7 lefts. 5.05m and 5.21 meters."

Love to have more details - Age, Height weight, grip height pole stiffness, field test parameters. Depending on those - if he gets the left arm right he can jump at least 5.60m.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:45 am

Continuous chain on the upswing to inversion and extension? No! On his 5.95, I count 5 frames where he's stuck in the "flat back" position, and on his 5.60 I count 10. That's a significant improvement after 9 years, but still not Petrov.

So I score Mack a 3 out of 6 on my "Petrov Compliance Scale".

It's interesting that if you watch his vid full speed, he seems to be quite fluid ... in the continuous chain sense. But when you break it down, it's definitely not the Petrov Model.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Split. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. THERE IS NO ROCKBACK OR TUCK!

Hey Kirk..

I have to say he has a “continuous chain”.. big time.. and I will try and explain why… a little later

But first… let me say… his (and B’s) intent has ALWAYS been physics.. which is totally what I have always though we saw when we first saw Bubka jump and what I read in Petrov’s paper and is being called the Petrov/Bubka model, (maybe, and I say maybe because we are making the interpretation, not Petrov or Bubka.. and the same can be said about what we are saying about Tim and B.. this is our “opinion not their’s) I work from what I see from Physics.. application of force.. the picture with the movement…

Tim’s “intent’ has always been to takeoff out.. again always.. in 1995 he had a 53-8 mid and a 12-8, 13 foot take off.. in 2004 his 5.90 jump was 13-8 and 54-8.. a considerable improvement. Yes he is slightly “under’ and as Bubka said he was able to achieve a “free” takeoff some of the time… (Tim may have never achieved a free takeoff... if so he was probally on the wrong pole with the wrong grip and flew over the back of the pit.. the way Tully did the first time he took off "out".).. a faster athlete on the runway has a greater “margin of error” than a slightly slower athlete.. so what is the next best thing if you are only going to have a free takeoff “some of the time”.. it is the impulse.. which Bubka had in spades.. what Alan calls a “pre-jump”.. Tim worked really hard on having that “impulse’ so he could “negate’ some of the effect of “slightly” under… off course slightly out.. is ALWAYS the first option.. but is hard to control even for the “master’.. the “impulse” can be trained and preformed on every jump if the vaulter drops and “turns the pole over’ correctly over the last 4 steps…

Now to the back flat point… yes I said the “back flat point’ is a “marker”.. but what is happening is the key… off course.. you said 5 frames while in the back flat position.. on most vaulters yes that would constitute a “stoppage” in the chain.. but it Tim it does not.. Tim’s trajectory is different than most others through this position. He is still penetrating and moving forward toward the pit. This is why the bio-mechanist tagged him as “too flat”.. But the fact that it only took him .49 seconds to reach maximum bend and that he had reached the “back flat position” just before maximum bend and traveled forward with the pole (continuous) allowed him to use the swing to “make” the pole reach maximum bend applying force all the way.. the use of his “hands” is really not a use of his hands as such it’s a continuation of the swing all the way Up and around the high bar so to speak.. just as a gymnast will use the “forearm” and grip to propel themselves into the “cast’ concave chest position…..

I think that Tim is more efficient than most in this position because the timing is “natural” to the point that he actually releases the pole just as it reaches it’s maximum length again.. Bubka often released the pole before it had straightened and the vertical lift he may have gained from “swing speed” may have been lost in release height and none vertical pole angle..

Tim tried to take off “out”.. tried to move the pole (grip) up and through at the takeoff and tried to swing like he// off the top…

The fact that it only took Tim 1.43 to 1.46 seconds (depending on how you measure the time of the jump) to complete the jump tells you it was continues.. the pole still moving at maximum bend tells you it was continuous and the 5 frames at maximum bend only, in this instance, gives a false reading..

The other vaulter I emailed you jumping 5.90 is a case of “stop” action.. which created his tuck and shoot.. and if you compare that vault you will see he is way below the “back flat” position at maximum bend AND the pole has stopped moving toward the pit.. only his superior speed on the run allowed him to grip the same as Tim and jump the same height as time.

dj

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:28 am

"as Bubka said he was able to achieve a “free” takeoff some of the time… ". What Bubka actually said - and I was there in Jamaica to hear him say it - was that he managed to leave the ground before the pole tip hit the back of the box - what I have termed a pre jump - a few times! He probably managed a 'free' take off on 90% or more of his jumps.

I hope we not going to haul that old chestnut of misunderstanding out yet again. :confused:

tennpolevault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Collegiate Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.65m

Unread postby tennpolevault » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:50 am

altius wrote:"He vaulted 2 personal bests this weekend from 7 lefts. 5.05m and 5.21 meters."

Love to have more details - Age, Height weight, grip height pole stiffness, field test parameters. Depending on those - if he gets the left arm right he can jump at least 5.60m.

Still has a way to go physically to create the horsepower necessary for 5.60m. Overall biometrics are very good and well within the normal limits for an elite vaulter. Good body composition and low body fat %. Able to do release skills on high bar and has good speed on the runway. Will have more accurate field tests during fall 2009training modules.

Height: 6' 1"
Weight: ~ 165 lbs
Speed: Probably 11.2 100m
Excellent Core strength....former elite high school gymnast
Just begining serious weight training for lower body power/explosiveness @ UT.
5.21 vault was 7 lefts on 4.90 pole gripping down a bit. 19.0 flex. First day on 4.90 poles.
Generally "blows through" most any pole I put him on when he commits to jump.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:55 pm

hey

not "hauling' out any misunderstanding.. only trying to relate what in see in tim's jump and what "I" think his intent and purpose was...

that is all.. no personal responses are neccessary only one about the thread.

not using either free takeoff or prejump.. i will say i think tim was always attempting to have the plant high and be up on his toe as or just befire the pole hit the back of the box..

dj

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:11 pm

"Still has a way to go physically to create the horsepower necessary for 5.60m". I didnt mean to imply he would do it next week!!!!

I suppose the point to make in the context of this thread is that if US athletes who do have more horsepower at present, were jumping like that -with the left arm improved naturally - many more would be jumping 5.60 plus and a few might be jumping 6.10 - the target Petrov suggested for all aspiring elites!!!

Love to see competition video.

tennpolevault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Collegiate Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.65m

Unread postby tennpolevault » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:43 am

Altius,
got the video up for you here. Tried to slow it down a bit but quality is lacking. Feedback relative to Petrov model would be great. I agree with you on the left arm. His chest and upper body are stopped by the left arm pushing too much. It also tends to be across his body over the right shoulder. I think this is also the reason his hips never cover his right hand at the top. The swing is not fast enough and is incomplete. I do think that this is one of his more continuous jumps. Also wandering what you think of the right arm late in the jump. He is pulling like mad from the bottom up which I believe is a good but this puts his elbow into a flexed position quite early. It seems like the shoulders never complete swing underneath beacuse of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H6hSQI_VQw

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:50 pm

I suppose this should be in the video review section but it still relates to the original topic. Again the biggest issue is the start of the run up -which i did not see in first video you put up. Here the athlete must start and stay tall -running in front of themselves so to speak, The first shot of Bubka on the BTBdvd shows this to perfection. This position is important for several reasons but especially because it puts the left hand into the correct position for the run - AND the plant. When this position is established at the beginning of the run the left arm automatically moves to the outside of the pole when it begins the plant and keeps it there until the pole hits. This ensures that the left arm cannot block out at all and the hand is forced back over the head as the chest drives through. Essentially this action clears the space for the chest to drive into. The only other points I would make are that the right knee must punch up and forward at take off and CONTINUE to punch up above the head in one sweep while the left leg MUST stay straight all the way over the top. If he cant maintain that straight sweep he must work on the high bar learning to accelerate it - until he can keep it straight. Both of these elements -along with the increased speed after take off -because it is freer -will enable him to cover the pole faster and then be in position to exploit pole straightening speed as he interacts with it. Would take no notice of the right arm because it will sort itself out when he gets the rest right. Overall still very good - but my experience is that you have to get all of the elements right -when you do that you get a logarithmic -rather than arithmetic - rate of progression in technique and performance. Each good element makes the next one fractionally better and so on through the vault.

I still like what he is doing - but would love to see him get it all right to see just what small differences in improving elements of technique makes to his performance.

Sorry this was a bit rushed. :no:

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:49 pm

altius wrote: ... it puts the left hand into the correct position for the run - AND the plant. When this position is established at the beginning of the run the left arm automatically moves to the outside of the pole when it begins the plant and keeps it there until the pole hits. This ensures that the left arm cannot block out at all and the hand is forced back over the head as the chest drives through. Essentially this action clears the space for the chest to drive into. The only other points I would make are that the right knee must punch up and forward at take off and CONTINUE to punch up above the head in one sweep while the left leg MUST stay straight all the way over the top. If he can't maintain that straight sweep he must work on the high bar learning to accelerate it - until he can keep it straight.

:yes:

That sounds exactly right. It's the Petrov Model! :yes:

"left arm ... outside the pole" ... "left arm cannot block" ... "chest drives through" ... right knee must punch up and forward at take off" ... left leg MUST stay straight" ... "straight sweep" ... "work on the high bar learning to accelerate it" ... :yes:

You should write a book about this technique. ;)

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Tim McMichael
PV Master

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:46 pm

tennpolevault wrote: Age: 20 I think
Height: 6' 1"
Weight: ~ 165 lbs
Speed: Probably 11.2 100m
Excellent Core strength....former elite high school gymnast
Just begining serious weight training for lower body power/explosiveness @ UT.
5.21 vault was 7 lefts on 4.90 pole gripping down a bit. 19.0 flex. First day on 4.90 poles.
Generally "blows through" most any pole I put him on when he commits to jump.

Just MHO, but in my experience those numbers are more than adequate for a 5.60 vault - maybe even higher. Throughout my entire career a 5.20 from 14 steps equaled at least a 5.60 potential from 20 steps. The deciding factor was being technically proficient enough in the approach to run from that far back. A 10 left run is a completely different animal from a 7 left approach. From the shorter run the athlete can just sprint down the runway and get away with murder in posture and pole carry. From 7 lefts I could get off of the ground with an approach that would have me crawling on my knees at the box from farther back.

I am not sure when it’s the right time to start working on a long approach, but I know I have made the mistake of having athletes short run for too long. I also think that it is a myth that you have to have superhuman strength and speed to make a 10 left run work. Proper technique makes it much easier than it seems, and I found that the extra room to set up for the last six steps increased my margin of error. If I had a bit of a balance problem, there was enough room to feel it out and correct it before the deciding steps leading up to the takeoff. Just my experience, I am not sure it would be the same for everyone. I was running 20 steps in 8th grade. :dazed: --very slowly.
Last edited by Tim McMichael on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim McMichael
PV Master

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:59 pm

tennpolevault wrote:Altius,
got the video up for you here. Tried to slow it down a bit but quality is lacking. Feedback relative to Petrov model would be great. I agree with you on the left arm. His chest and upper body are stopped by the left arm pushing too much. It also tends to be across his body over the right shoulder. I think this is also the reason his hips never cover his right hand at the top. The swing is not fast enough and is incomplete. I do think that this is one of his more continuous jumps. Also wandering what you think of the right arm late in the jump. He is pulling like mad from the bottom up which I believe is a good but this puts his elbow into a flexed position quite early. It seems like the shoulders never complete swing underneath beacuse of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H6hSQI_VQw

I just watched the video. A better start to that run would make all the difference in the world. I really think that you will find that he can run from farther back and carry more velocity, but it will take a lot of work. I believe that it is just as difficult and just as crucial to work on the first few steps as it is to work on the takeoff. They are essentially the same thing.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”