Revolutionary bar clearance

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
polevaultmax
PV Newbie

Revolutionary bar clearance

Unread postby polevaultmax » Fri May 15, 2009 1:29 pm

After 3 years of clearing bars the standard way, i have researched my physical attributes and with my easily hyper extensive back, clearing bars in reverse has sent me to great new heights (4.70m).

Take a look at the video on youtube and give me any technical feedback on ways to improve, as i feel as though i have reached technical perfection...just need to improve on my physical capacity in order to break the world record as i am only 15 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZy5sMwK ... annel_page

Cheers.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Revolutionary bar clearance

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:42 pm

...A good way to get yourself hurt a few different ways. :no:

Also a good way to forego the benefit of a good push off (although small benefit)...

I'm sorry, but you're kidding yourself if you think you've reached near-technical perfection at the tender age of 15. :no:

If you only plan on getting stronger and faster to break the WR, then you'll need to be squatting 1,500+ and running at 12 m/s at take-off.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

polevaultmax
PV Newbie

Unread postby polevaultmax » Fri May 15, 2009 7:55 pm

Didn't know that squats had a correlation to height cleared?...and you obviously don't understand what technical perfection is if you don't think this is it

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri May 15, 2009 8:16 pm

You are under at take off. I paused the video and saw the pole bent significantly before you left the ground.

You bend the pole with your bottom arm significantly, before take off and immediately after.

Your hips are sucked under and you pass the chord of the pole before you have time for a strong whip/swing.

This forces you to tuck and shoot, not only slowing the movement of your hips to stay ahead of the pole but robbing yourself of a chance to add more energy into the jump.

THEN the revolution you have envailed- keeps your hips back longer to absorb the energy you have added pretty well. However once you are passed this point, you could add more energy by keeping pressure with your arms downward on the pole. This requires a turn. Once in this position, i would be willing to bet you could be a LOT more flexible touching your toes by bending forward than you would backwards.

I know you are excited by some success you have had jumping with this technique, and 4.75 for a 15 year old is good. Take the benefits of this technique (ie moving your hips upward longer, while most young vaulters tend to drop their hips as soon as they turn) and apply it with other biomechanically superior positions, and physics. Thinking outside the box is really, really good. But you gotta be an expert in what is ALREADY known before you try to expand upon it. The fact that you think your technique is perfect shows that you are not at this point yet. Until you admit that no one is going to take you seriously :no:
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri May 15, 2009 10:03 pm

Didn't know that squats had a correlation to height cleared?...and you obviously don't understand what technical perfection is if you don't think this is it

You do NOT want to get into it with me... It's a bad, bad idea...

YOU were the one that said all you need to do to jump 6.16m is get stronger/faster... Well, squat 1,500 and run a sub 9.00 100m and then you might have a shot at doing so with your WELL below perfect technique and "revolutionary" bar clearance that's just going to get you hurt (in one of at least three different possible ways).

I can find multiple faults in Bubka's 6.01 (6.40) jump in Athens, and that's the closest thing to perfection in the vault that's ever happened... I could probably find at least a dozen in your video, even though it's low quality and shows only half your vault. Do you realize that you're insulting a lot of people by saying that you've 'perfected' your technique?

Don't be so full of yourself... You've been vaulting THREE YEARS. Come back in ten more, then maybe you can talk, but I doubt it. :no:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri May 15, 2009 10:48 pm

I really, really love innovative vaulting techniques. Anyone that knows me on PVP knows this. I LOVED Isaksson's high pole carry ... I LIKE Colwick's double-leg swing (but it's not a technique to be copied) ... I THINK I MIGHT like LHS's leading lead leg (the jury's still out - time may tell) ... and I also happen to like the raising of the trail left in the "Jump to the Split". ;)

Your bar clearance is innovative ... I'll grant you that!

But it's such a shame that you're focussing on the wrong part of your vault. If your run, plant, takeoff, swing, AND extension aren't all PERFECT, then there's absolutely no sense in spending time, energy, or focus on the bar clearance. NONE. Nillo. Zero. Zip. Zilch. :no:

With some fear of insulting you ... since that's how Grade 8s clear 10 foot bars ... I don't understand why you haven't grown out of your INFERIOR technique. The Fosbury Flop or the Brill Bend is one thing ... if you're going over a HJ bar ... but this is ridiculous! In the PV, there's nothing wrong with the JACKNIFE or FLY-AWAY bar clearance, so why re-invent the wheel? :confused:

As far as other issues concerning your so-called PERFECT technique ... I can tell you that Vault3rb0y is spot-on ... without a doubt! :yes:

My advice to you is to move on ... start focussing on the BOTTOM HALF of your vault ... and you'll be surprised how quickly you'll clear higher bars. You'll look back on this year ... and say to yourself "WHAT WAS I THINKING? :dazed: "

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

PaulVaulter
PV Nerd

Unread postby PaulVaulter » Sat May 16, 2009 6:36 am

I can guarantee that jumping like that will result in a stress fracture in your lower back!!!!!!!!!!!
Aim high, then at least if you miss you won't shoot yourself in the foot.

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Sat May 16, 2009 10:04 am

Hey Max, way to get up there!
You'll get no criticism from me, as I have been vaulting for over 40 years and haven't yet cleared 4.70. I'm pretty sure that your chief detractor, though extremely brilliant, hasn't cleared 4.70 either.

By the way, my older daughter cleared her highest heights using similar technique.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat May 16, 2009 12:36 pm

PP.... you will learn soon that when you are questioned, it speaks volumes for you to respond intelligently, not matter WHAT is said. Those that matter will take your patience and reserve as a sign of your maturity. You are waaayyyy too much like i was on this board two years ago ;) so that comes from someone whos been around.

And to Max, i dont want you to be discouraged, and i still hope you can carry a strong level of confidence in your jump. Jumping your age is EXTREMELY impressive. Humbling yourself while you do it, however, multiplies how impressive it is, at least to me. Be HAPPY that your technique is not perfect, because it gives you something to build upon. Also, i would say your technique is better than 95% of vaulters your age, so you are on the right track. Study the vault biomechanically, read articles from the very best coaches, engage in discussions on this board with an open mind, and you will find more problems with your own technique than you want to- at least thats what happens to me!!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sat May 16, 2009 1:04 pm

im just gonna say one thing about this before the flaming gets out of hand and this goes downhill fast.

bend over forward and touch your toes. now bend backward and touch your toes. which is easier, faster to get to (and away from), and puts your hips higher above center of mass. if you even jump 5.0m that way it would be a non turn world record, let alone 6.16. Pursue the fundamentals and that will put you to great new heights. good luck

polevaultmax wrote:After 3 years of clearing bars the standard way, i have researched my physical attributes and with my easily hyper extensive back, clearing bars in reverse has sent me to great new heights (4.70m).

Take a look at the video on youtube and give me any technical feedback on ways to improve, as i feel as though i have reached technical perfection...just need to improve on my physical capacity in order to break the world record as i am only 15 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZy5sMwK ... annel_page

Cheers.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Sat May 16, 2009 3:42 pm

HAHAHA, Am I ther only one that realizes tha pvmax has a sense of humor and is just kindding?? No need in getting bent out of shape about his post. Lol
On a whole new level 6-20-09

polevaultmax
PV Newbie

Unread postby polevaultmax » Sat May 16, 2009 6:04 pm

hahahaha finally kyle, someone gets it! it was just a flukey jump i did a few years ago and thought i'd see what happens if i post on here and pretend to think this is revolutionary and technically perfect......idiots!

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”