Big Pole mentality…….

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Re: Big Pole mentality…….

Unread postby vaultmd » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:12 pm

Don Baird used to say, "Don't give up on a pole until it gives up on you."

pvdad81
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College vaulter, Masters vaulter, Parent of College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Jonathan Webb

Unread postby pvdad81 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:37 pm

After working with my vaulter for 4 years now, I know that at or near his PR, he will almost always need a bigger pole. Something inside him makes him run harder, try harder. Whatever pole he was on that works great at lower heights will look like a wet noodle when he is at a PR. We anticipate that and move up poles. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I don't know what else to do. I certainly won't tell him to calm down and stay on the smaller pole.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:52 pm

pvdad81 wrote: ... Whatever pole he was on that works great at lower heights will look like a wet noodle when he is at a PR. We anticipate that and move up poles. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I don't know what else to do. I certainly won't tell him to calm down and stay on the smaller pole.

That works ... as long as the decision to move up a pole is based on the softness of the pole at the previous height ... or the anticipated softness of the pole at the next height.

If it's based on the height of the bar compared to the athlete's PR, then not. Only move up a pole when you're crushing the pole; blowing thru and hitting the bar on the way up; or landing too far into the pit.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”