ABOUT ALAN LAUNDER Author of the Beg. to Bubka!

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:57 pm

As many of you know I have been in the pole vaulting business for over 35 years, building poles, writing books, articles, helping athletes to do their very best with products to enhance their abilities!
I had this Monday June 15th the pleasure of spending a day with Alan Launder on his way thru Texas to South Texas for his next Clinic with Kris Alison and Bubba Sparks. He and his wife Jenny stayed with us for a day to visit!
When he arrive I told myself to keep an open mind and forget about all the research and studies I have done in the Pole vault for the past 30 years.
Even though I have always felt that there are at least three ways to Pole Vault all being good models to follow!
Now I still feel there are at least three ways to Pole Vault however I am glad I kept an open mind as I had never seen or heard the things I discussed and the Info Alan shared with me during our visit!
So while there are still three ways to jump only one seems to be the window to vaulters jumping over 6.05 meter!
Yes I said it the Russian Model is by far one to study as it is the only one that offers greater improvement in the sport's future!
Alan showed me a film of a couple of vaulters who were from 15 years old to Bubka who were not bending the pole until the pole traveled towards the bar. Yes the pole was straight in most all the examples which confirmed my Elusive bar Book #2 written in 1972/http://officialessx.com/forum/index.php?autocom=gallery&req=sc&cat=3# (free sign up may be required to view)
My statement;
One of the most common errors in the vault is over bending or trying to bend the pole at the take-off. The solution to this problem is concentrating on swinging rather than bending the pole at the take-off. If the run can be successfully transferred into the swing, then the swinging action will bend the pole. Bending the pole by means of the swing is easier and more efficient because the vaulter uses leverage rather than force.

Alan had studied and pointed out , how one can use the pole swing to get the penetration that all the other vaulters seem to think is necessary to initiate and obtain in the earlier stages of the vault by hanging. I have seen many books talking about hanging swinging the leg faster etc to obtain more penetration on the pole to get the full clearance of the bar.
It brings us all to wonder why we see so many vaulters jump high but seem to fall on the bar for lack of penetration.
The event is a double pendulum and athletes and coaches need to respect that and use the physics to their advantages.
I am convince that many American Vaulters and coaches today have shut him out and refuse to listen to his information.
I strongly recommend you attend his clinics with a very open mind.
Purchase his books and read them thoroughly as well as get a hold of his DVD which shows this RUSSIAN model.
Anyone who thinks they know it all such as myself needs to wake up and attend his clinics.
Alan has a wealth of information to share with you to help you fit the model that can take you to 6 meters plus.
upcoming clinics:

SOUTH TEXAS LONE STAR POLE VAULT this week!
June 16/19 with Kris Alison New Braunfels., TEX, June 20 somewhere on a beach in TX with Bubba Sparks, June 21 at the Woodlands TX with Bubba and friends http://www.bubbapv.com
There may be a clinic in Admore Ok last week of JUNE stay tuned

BOONE NC Daniel Isaacs The weekend of July 25 Alan Launder aka Altius and Roman Botcharnikov aka agapit will be in Boone NC.
More details coming. http://www.tailwindpolevault.com

COLUMBIA SC The 2009 LoJo Vault Assault Summer Camp will be a 2 separate week, five day pole vault camp beginning Sunday, June 28th, 2009 - Thursday, July 2nd, 2009 and Sunday, July 5th, 2009 - Thursday, July 9th, 2009 in Columbia, SC. The VA Camp will provide vaulters of all levels an opportunity to expand their pole vault skills with LoJo and the Vault Assault Camp staff in small group sessions for individualized attention. The experience will also include special presentations and guidance from elite guest coaches including Roman Botcharnikov, one of the world's most knowledgeable vault coaches. Also Alan Launders will be at the LoJo Vault Assault Camp this summer.

Ellicott City, MD Come join us July 15th-16th for a two day pole vault clinic with Alan Launder!
http://chspv.webs.com/
Location: Centennial High School: 4300 Centennial Ln., Ellicott City, MD, 21042 July 15/16 Ellicot City Md with Coach Dodds and PV42, July 25/26 Coaches clinic. Boone NC with agapit and Daniel Isaacs, July 27/29 Appalachian State Boone NCwith Daniel Isaacs

NC Aug 1 at Duke University NC with Shawn Willoghby.

baggettpv
PV Master

Re: ABOUT ALAN LAUNDER Author of the Beg. to Bubka!

Unread postby baggettpv » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:37 am

Now thats what I have been saying for at least 3 years! Don't forget his skills in the education facet of the event. This you have to watch as you go to a clinic. If you can't I have the videos of Alan teaching at on of my winter clinics in Oregon.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC
Good coaching is good teaching.

yankee814
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Hooker

Unread postby yankee814 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:06 am

baggettpv wrote:Now thats what I have been saying for at least 3 years! Don't forget his skills in the education facet of the event. This you have to watch as you go to a clinic. If you can't I have the videos of Alan teaching at on of my winter clinics in Oregon.

Hi! Can you post those videos anyway, I don't quite understand this and maybe seeing the videos will help. Thanks!
Sophomore 2nd year Vaulter

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:26 pm

The key is the video the vaulters did not hang or drag the leg to get penetration.
In one video of Bubka he pulls to a vertical position and the pole is still bending. you see him pulling himself basically back down the runway away from the bar. One would say the guy was going to fall in the box. but wait the double pendulum has one pendulum which is the pole swing and the penetration he gets over the bar is a result of the pole swing not driving at the box.
I hear so many coaches telling vaulter to drive harder to get over the bar.
If you time with the jump you will get the penetration over the bar.
Reasons for not getting penetration and landing on the bar are;
USING TOO HIGH OF A GRIP ON TOO LONG OF A POLE!
Never use a pole that is 12" longer than you best jump.
More info on that is at http://www.therightpole.com/ (does not require sign up)
Even the younger students Alan has worked with do not bend the pole at the take off, the pole starts bending several seconds into the box as the pole is traveling toward the bar. Bending the pole with the power of the swing is more efficient, more powerful and stores energy more efficiently than from the take off.
Other than what Alan has learned over the years he is a great communicator and teacher.
If you process what he says it all is very logical once you think about it!
You have to throw out what you think is the model what you have been taught over the years to see it.
If you are a World Class jumper or a potential World Class jumper and you want to jump higher than 6.05
you will need to read his book and see the video.
Video is available from Neo vault
http://www.neovault.com/
Maybe we can get Shawn to put up just a clip of this jump for all to see ????
I had heard of a Texas coach asking Alan if he had any good vaulters down under?
Yes we have a few the record in Texas being only 18'10" less than 580 meters and in his home stadium the record is 6.05 meters!
(It Made me think )
Bruce Caldwell

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:12 pm

It seems like an easy concept when you think about it like this--- You have a finite amount of time to act in the pole vault, why not not doing something active in that time rather than thinking you are done after you leave the ground? To me it's like "gliding" your last 2 steps in the triple jump or just striding in your last 20meters in the 100m dash. If you have time to do something positive, use it! I wish i could catch one of the clinics but i gotta make my own money this summer :(.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:55 pm

Not coming to mine then? :(
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:34 pm

powerplant42 wrote:Not coming to mine then? :(

Sorry... but i have a great internship with UM hospital in the city and i dont want to think its not important. If i dont work the full day i will stop by tho.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:49 am

Yankee814 the video's are for sale at willamettestriders.com. The proceeds go to the continual development of our facility. These are a must see video. My presentation of the takeoff is on youtube. Check it out.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:05 am

To all, To see a short demo from Alan search youtube for me and look for the Airwork video of Alan. Good explanation of a way to set up practices and repetitive learning situations in coaching.

Rick

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast

ALAN LAUNDER BACK IN OK

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:32 pm

short notice but if you want to hear ALAN on OK here is your chance!!!
A Guy in ardmore is mark Nowell - cell 580 277 9247 -father of very good athlete! Will start in Ardmore at 2pm on Tuesday tomorrow - and then go all day wednesday

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”