Another Colwick-like vaulter spotted: Is this something?

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Re: Another Colwick-like vaulter spotted: Is this something?

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:36 pm

From what I read, Petrov kind of worked in a vacuum since Donetsk was considered a backwater in the USSR. What I remember is that they were "not interfered with" - I took this to mean "not fully supported."

However, I wouldn't doubt that there was plenty of research support behind the early development of various aspects of the "model". Many ideas came from other successful Soviet coaches, in particular Yuriy Volkov who did have the weight of the sports machine behind him since he coached most of the early Soviet vault stars. Petrov is the one that coalesced the various ideas into a singular model while adding in many, many of his own ideas.

There are probably hundreds of scientific papers produced in the USSR waiting translation. There was a short blurb of one floating around on the Web years ago that studied the benefits of learning to sprint with a pole versus learning to sprint without one (FWIW, with one was very good). If this one paper is any indication of what the sports scientists were producing then they probably did a very good job of dissecting the vault and studying the pieces that became the model. I've seen very few English language studies that look at just one aspect of the vault. Most are everything-and-the-kitchen-sink studies which are minimally beneficial to coaches and athletes.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:17 pm

There was a short blurb of one floating around on the Web years ago that studied the benefits of learning to sprint with a pole versus learning to sprint without one (FWIW, with one was very good).

i think I have that paper somewhere and maybe in my PV file with me now.. i believe i also "re=published" that article in a newsletter i produced in the mid 80's called 19+Plus.

This was not a Petrov paper but i think he (Petrov) put together the "physics" with some unique/genius "realizations" that start with grip and hand hold that make the "chain" almost 'fool" proof if followed...

i also feel his study of "parts" of the vault that had been worked on since fiberglass was introduced.. (such as run fast.. plant high.. takeoff out .. swing fast.. line up with the pole ... shoot into a one arm hand stand..) and the good fortune of having an athlete that was capable of following his thinking, has given us "a/the model".

dj
Last edited by dj on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:39 am

I feel that the biggest misconception in all of this is not the end result of understanding the model but the teaching process of the model.

Rick Baggett
WSTC
Good coaching is good teaching.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:43 am

rick

i believe you are very correct.. Petrov found the "Q"s ie...like Proper grip.. and left wrist ALWAYS higher than the left elbow (off course all the other points have to be followed).. from the beginning and tied it all together with pole drop.. etc etc.. etc… the best it's ever been done..

period..

to understand it you have to look to the "why" it has to happen his way.. not to the exception..

i think because so many vaulters don't have the "physics" or do not adhere to the physics they look to the exception not the rule..

the "exception" will be limited.. the model will work as long as the physics is there and to the level of the physics or to the level of "force in".

i feel the "model" that Petrov presented in his paper is totally correct.. you just have to compare the visual with the actual application of force..

dj

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”