left arm, swing relation

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
11kalnmitc
PV Nerd
Expertise: college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.73
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lazaro Borges

left arm, swing relation

Unread postby 11kalnmitc » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:04 pm

well i had another meet today and i am having the same issue as far as i have been told by numerous coaches. i was running taller and faster today but whenever i plant my left arm isn't initiating the bend it is coming back and almost hitting me in the head. between that and me being about 3 inches to 6 inches inside my hips were getting sucked under. so i would leave the ground decent with the exception with my left arm and then my drive knee just drops and meets my swing leg and that is just going against all the forward momentum i built up on my run and is basically defeating the purpose. i'm pretty sure if i can get my left arm to be stronger on the plant it will create a little more room between the pole and my body, then keeping my hips from being sucked under and letting my swing do what its suppose to. does this sound right and what can i do to improve this part of the vault dramatically like i need?

for a little background, i am 155lbs, 5'10'' and i was running from 7 lefts (89') i used a 14' 165 and a 14' 170 today
i tried to upload some of my videos from today onto photobucket but it didn't work i'll try again tommorrow,
also sometimes i'm not sure how to word things so if you need i better explination, just ask and i'll word it differently or maybe i'll be able to get the video's up

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Re: left arm, swing relation

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:52 pm

A tense bottom arm bent, rigid, low, high, whatever will cause a premature swing. Reaching with the elbows up and releasing the shoulder girdle (elastic) is the only way to truely stay behind the pole and not prematurely swing. Watch the David Butler video.
Last edited by KYLE ELLIS on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

11kalnmitc
PV Nerd

Unread postby 11kalnmitc » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:23 am

i think i get that part, but is there any drills or workouts that will help me in this part of the vault.
and could you be more specific on the david butler vid?

thanks

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:15 am

On a whole new level 6-20-09

11kalnmitc
PV Nerd

Unread postby 11kalnmitc » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:06 pm

looks great thanks :)

JMP8928
PV Pro

Unread postby JMP8928 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:24 am

I used to be a big left arm type of a jumper, kyle will attest to that. As a result of my left hand pressure there were some good things happening, but also one crucial bad thing. Before i'd make my move to extend up the pole, i would tug on my left arm for some innate, stupid reason. I have no idea why, but thats what happened. In order to mitigate this, I've recently eliminated the conscious effort to strike the pole with my left, and have tried to bear as much pressure and weight with the right - essentially making the left arm moot.

the result was drastic. it produced a much better position after the swing and i came right out the end of a pole rated only a few lbs over my body weight. So, the bottom hand is cool and all. Just make sure you're using your top hand as your pressure point on the pole.

thanks for the tip kyle, it was a good idea.

JMP8928
PV Pro

Unread postby JMP8928 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:25 am

just for fun, check out the old jumps vs the newest few. i like the new ones better.

http://www.youtube.com/user/purchell53?feature=mhum

11kalnmitc
PV Nerd

Unread postby 11kalnmitc » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:19 pm

thanks for that tip, i haven't thought about that with using most of the right arm,
i have been thinking though one of the things that could be attributing to this is that i am under by about 6 inches to a foot almost every jump, i don't know which one to worry about, having a stronger left arm (bottom arm), taking up most of the force of the plant with my right arm (top arm) or being right on, on my take off???

JMP8928
PV Pro

Unread postby JMP8928 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:25 am

there are few ppl who can get ripped off the ground and still put together a big jump. It can be done, but you have to be one strong mother to roll in the big poles a foot under so i would get that squared away asap. its an easy fix and can get you moving through poles quickly. if you would like some suggestions on how to work on it, i'd be happy to offer my take on it.

top hand pressure is crucial. you can hit the pole with the left at take off, thats fine in my opinion only under the condition that you hinge and swing on the right arm. If you hit it with the left, and maintain pressure there, you are efffed. The pole shortens, it comes back too quickly and you never get around on it.

So, play with it. See if you can hit it hard with the left, and transfer all your pressure onto the right when you swing. Or hit it hard with both hands when you take off. Or just focus on the right.

find what works for you and use it. more than one way to skin this crazy cat, my friend.

jp

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:24 pm

If you are that far under, trying to fix anything else first is probably a waste of time.
In fact, your bottom arm is forced to exert a lot of pressure (bent or not) on the pole when you are that far under to keep you away from the pole. Your hips and torso also swing forward too soon, stopping you from using your full natural swing. It ends up being a "half-swing" and you won't be able to get on very big poles, or cover the pole effectively.

If you are always under, your pole drop/plant/takeoff probably need some work to help you from stretching your final strides. Try to let the pole drop weightlessly on your pole runs and feel how easy it is to accelerate and get a fast rising takeoff. Don't let the tip touch until your takeoff foot is off the ground. Make your takeoff foot's "ground contact time" as short as possible, don't try to jump like a high jumper...more like a triple jumper (maintain speed and momentum while jumping)

Good luck, merry Christmas!
Tom

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:35 am

JMP8928 wrote:just for fun, check out the old jumps vs the newest few. i like the new ones better.

http://www.youtube.com/user/purchell53?feature=mhum

This video gives you the answer great speach by Dave Butler. lots of really good points and suggestions look at it again vaulters this is a good tape
Bruce Caldwell

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”