Stop Making the Same Mistakes......

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Stop Making the Same Mistakes......

Unread postby dj » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:57 am

Stop Making the Same Mistakes....

hey...

new thread on how we can hopefully stop making the same mistakes....

Allan
If running through or bailing out because your body can't handle a long run on that particular day is your idea of a successful vault session, then by all means, keep plugging away. I'm not subscribing to that logic."
Nor do I!

This is solely caused by the wrong Six Step "MID" based on your grip.................. check where you were on your short run. You should, at most, be back 1-2 feet from that mark... and should only be holding 4-8 inches higher..

Alan....

I said disagree not argue... I guess you meant you disagreed that we are not doing too much short run vaulting... but you followed that with ..

First I am not sure how short run vaulting -especially it there is always an emphasis on cadence - can cause this!

That was/is my point… we ARE stretching and not running with the right cadence..

And to have the right cadence you have to have the correct stride length and stride frequency… which means you have to have the correct (accurate) step 6 steps from takeoff!!!!!! Why you have not supported this or the chart and helped your followers... I'm still befuddled to understand…

I know you say you have to teach running technique before you can change the way a vaulters runs on the runway… but it doesn't matter how much technique a vaulter has doing 20/20 drills (20 steps in 20 meters) they will not have the same, correct, technique if their last six steps are too long… try doing 20/40 drills and you should see and understand what I mean……….

And although i don't disagree with the posters or most that has been posted since my last post, here, about the benefits of short run vaulting, it still does not "trump" (and actually gives the short run vaulters and "excuse" to be below their ability level.) the fact we are doing to much because we are doing it wrong......

the fact that we ARE doing it wrong is reason enough to tell those that are continuing to do so to stop it completely... until they can do short runs correctly!!!!!..........way to much short run or like you said we are doing it (99%) are doing it WRONG. .

that is the point…. And the point of a six stride coaches mark… the chart works even if you are only running 6 steps… try it.. have a vaulter that can grip 12 feet from 3 lefts (6 steps) start at 40 feet….

you stated..
especially it there is always an emphasis on cadence

especially on the importance of accuracy and consistency, rather than an emphasis on speed

"If running through or bailing out because your body can't handle a long run on that particular day is your idea of a successful vault session, then by all means, keep plugging away. I'm not subscribing to that logic."

all VERY good reasons to monitor and even coach ("MID" chart as a tool) using the chart.

And thank you for re-posting what I said….I hopefully explained it reasonably well without using a "if".

Vaulters, (long jumpers, hurdlers, high jumpers etc..) will "strain"/press and stretch until they "feel" they have created enough speed/force to produce their "goal"…

Any time you stretch on the run your "hips' get out of position...(the wrong hip tilt)

Petrov, in his book, talks almost exclusively about the "tilt" or position of the pelvis and spine in vaulting. Granted he focuses on the correct position more from takeoff through the end of the swing but that position is actually more important on the vault approach run… and that is because it dictates the cadence and even the correct takeoff position/posture. If you stretch at all from 6 steps out on the approach run you will not be in the proper alignment (unless you are super human or lucky) and you want have the correct, dead on cadence. If you are out you WILL have to stretch.

I read my first "hip tilt" article in 1967 from Russia… with diagrams.... There have been several articles published since, some you can find in Track Technique, some on the IAAF site. Most of them are for high jumping and long jumping but the same "physics" applies….. in the high jump you can "prance" and position the hips so the last 4 to 6 steps can be faster and in position. in the long jump some jumpers do "prance" to position the hips before the last six "turn over" strides... but it is not neccessary in the long jump and vault to "prance"... with the longer run you can accelerate from 20 to 22 steps (even 14/16/18 and the hips will come into "alignment" as the body becomes more up right.... most american long jumpers, including Carl Lewis used this appraoch for near world record jumps and for greater speed on the runway. Dwight Phillips our current world champion, uses the accelerated run... I'm currently coaching an Olympic-top five in the world long jumper, that runs exactly this way... successfully... i use the same run in the vault and thought process in the vault.

This hip position is an absolute must (physics) to takeoff correctly. and getting the right position and posture, with speed and six steps out is a bonus. Correct cadance (and a correct takeoff) can only be created when the hips are aligned correctly and that can only happen if the stride length (cadance) and frequency is correct.

Here is where i ask you all to... "refer to the chart".........and make it an everyday part of your training..

Alan I don't want everyone to use my chart because I want to say "I told you so" but because I want us to be as good as we can be!!! No excuses………

There have been several great coaches use (over use/obsessed sometimes) the chart to get the exact result you keep saying you/we MUST have… cadence, accuracy, pole drop, posture, free takeoff … all your words have a DIRECT correlation to a correct 6 step "MID" which is based on the force needed to grip a specific grip.. that allows for an average height above grip for that grip and "MID".

I MYSELF had two of my decathletes vault from 5 lefts just day before yesterday… the best one (deacthlete) was jumping 4.50 when I left 2 years ago… he only jumped 4.20 last year!!! in this "short run session" he gripped 4.10 and popped over 4.20 time after time… and looked like a vaulter not a decathlon "pole jumper"…

I know the value of "progressive overload" and the human body physically adhering to the SAID principle --- Specific Adaptations to Imposed Demands… Alan your education came about the time I was getting mine… these are words and processes that should have been "pounded" into your head…. I don't mean literally.. but as a everyday part of your education... this is what "physical Eduacation" was about in the 60's.......

and that meant to "DRILL until the weels fell of" and the athlete was sick enough of the process that they started to do the right technique...

I ran 400 meter hurdler in 1967 and my coasch had me run cross-country and run 2 sets of 6 x 400 meters under 60 seconds with a 5 minute break between and with a minute and a half interval between quarters... i averaged 57 seconds each..

why? because he wanted my body to physically adapt to the grueling task.. was it over done.. i think so

just as we over do short run vaulting... and never get our best men back to 20 steps... and best women back to 18 steps.

Every coach should be following these two progressive - specific principles.....

Get the "accuracy" on (from six steps out) and it will lead you to the correct cadence, posture and speed... accuacy will even give you the best chance to plant correctly, takeoff corrctly and swing corrrectly...

Good luck

dj

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: Stop Making the Same Mistakes......

Unread postby altius » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:36 am

"If running through or bailing out because your body can't handle a long run on that particular day is your idea of a successful vault session, then by all means, keep plugging away. I'm not subscribing to that logic." "This is solely caused by the wrong Six Step "MID" based on your grip..."

Sorry to disagree dj - but there can be other reasons why you cant handle a long run ON THAT PARTICULAR DAY that have nothing to with the mid mark.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:16 am

good morning,

and that's your opinion......

for all others……. i have transitioned 100's of vaulters by using the correct run... 40 years of doing it and data collection that validates the science... long or short.. with the correct and accurate "MID" (coaches accuracy check point) based on the grip that can be moved to vertical from that run.... 6 step to 20 step.

all the data/numbers are proportionate....

yes i have had one person refuse to move back to a longer run, even when she was totally accurate...it was because she had failed so many times before because of an "inaccurate run" she had no 'confidence" and refused to even try it.... he friend who had vaulted once or twice from 4 steps moved back to 12 and then 14 steps in a matter of 30 minutes…… gripping 12 feet..

the sooner everyone (that needs vault technical help) sets up this process for their Approach run the sooner their technique can start to change…

I agree with Petrov, Alan and 100's more before and after them that believes the vault starts with the first step…

The "MID" chart and process is THE number one way to get it right…. And not leave it to chance..

Off course.. "that's my opinion.."

dj

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz
Expertise: Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.90m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Maksim tarasov

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:15 pm

altius wrote:Sorry to disagree dj - but there can be other reasons why you cant handle a long run ON THAT PARTICULAR DAY that have nothing to with the mid mark.

I agree. Just because your step is on doesn't mean you will take-off. I have days where my legs and body are tired and I just dont feel up to long runs. I would rather work on my plant, take-off, and technique from a 4 or 5 step on a smaller pole. I also think that the reason vaulters stretch at the end of their long runs is not due to short runs. It could be all sorts of things like Bad running technique, Cadence, pole drop, late plant, confidence, being tired etc.... Not you did short runs. In my training right now I am really trying to work on my run, plant, and take-off. I am doing this from a 4 or 5 step on a smaller pole so I can really focus on doing things right without thinking I need to push on my run. I think short approach work is something necessary to develop proper technique. Maybe vaulters are just forgetting about how important the run is and just worrying about the vault aspect. They are not working to have a great fast well structured run, just great technique. So bad runs are not because of short runs, but because a vaulter inst focusing on the run enough.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:54 pm

hey

have days where my legs and body are tired and I just dont feel up to long runs.

and why would you even try a long run on days you already know you are not in physcial shape to do it??

you guys are "disagreeing" on the wrong things...

i don't "disagree" with short runs... and the processes you just described...

what i'm saying is through all you have said we are still not moving our run back... and running with long runs... AND the end result is lower vault heights....

we continue to do everything you just "explained" and expect to get somthing beside the same "below average, below par vault... we still get frustrated because we can't, CAN NOT.. move back, successfully to a long run.... BUT we still do the things that are causing that to happen...

dj
Last edited by dj on Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:54 pm

DJ,

when has Altius or anyone on this board suggested that vaulters should stick to short runs?

I went to a camp a few years ago with Allan and he had me practicing pole runs with long runs and told me I needed to be at at least 8 lefts with a full vault.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:32 pm

hye

that's not the point being debated...

the point is "why we are jumping lower now, on average than in years past."

My point is.. shorter runs ..which gives us less force to apply at takeoff.. which = lower heights.

Most other posters seem to be stating or indicating we/they can't move their run back until they learn proper technique.. but then when they think they have learned proper technique they are having MORE difficulty moving their run back!

If you want to learn to jump correctly with the maximum "physics"/speed you have to practice with maximum speed.

Do all other events practice, or try and practice with maximum speed???… do hurdlers have to practice with maximum speed to get the right steps and technique in the hurdles???? wasn't it posted on here that "towing" (over speed) was one of the best methods of getting faster!!! (by the way I don't agree with that)

Does this help make the point I'm trying to make…

If you want to vault your best you need the greatest possible speed you can get on the runway.. that means longer runs… greater acceleration..

This I posted in another thread…

You cannot win Daytona with a six cylinder engine.

And you can't vault with speed unless you practice with speed… and you can't get full (controlled) speed unless you us longer runs.. and you can't us longer runs unless you practice with longer runs.

dj

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:54 pm

Honestly I dont know what you are getting at. Everyone knows that the more speed you have the higher you will jump. Are you suggesting that vaulters do not practice from their full approach enough?? Also I am pretty sure the professional guys are running from a long approach, so this doesnt explain for the lower heights. Yes other events practice with max speed but so does pole vault. Hurdlers practice with max speed and also they do slow mechanical drills to improve running/Hurdle technique which in turn improves over all performance. Same thing happens in the vault, you practice with max speed and also you practice from short to slow things down to really work on technique so you will be able to do it at max speed. Progression.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:06 am

Honestly I dont know what you are getting at.

sorry for the asinine comment...

This is frustrating……

As simple as I can say it… we are running from too short of a run… both in practice and in meets.. we are "short run vaulting" so much we cannot make the trsition from short to long… short runs donot give you the needed speed/force to grip high and vault high (your best I should say).

i think we have a different opinion in what is short and long... sounds like you are saying everyone's competition run is their "long run".. it may be "their" long run but it is to short to aid them in jumping higher.

18 strides is short.. I consider 18 as the "pivot point" of short to long.

12/14 are a short runs and should be used for practice.

Wwwhhheee I think I have beat this "dead horse" long enough.. and these threads are for someone else...

dj
Last edited by dj on Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:59 am

18 steps is short? That is 9 lefts.. I consider that to be a lot of athletes long run. Yes 10 is ideal when you are at maximum fitness, but saying 9 is short is kind of out there..

I agree we need long runs in the 9 and 10 range, but some athletes are not at the level where their 8 lefts will be any faster than their 7 lefts, so if 7 is faster than 8, keep them at 7 until they have gained the proper running mechanics to handle 8 lefts and be able to run that faster than their 7.. then when they can run 8 fast and not fall over their feet and stride out at the end, start working on 9. But not everyone is a god gifted athlete, and not everyone can run 10 lefts with proper form. Ideally that is what you should work for, but sometimes an athlete just can not do it, and yelling at them telling them they should be able to is not going to accomplish anything, so you make due with what you have and try to work to what you want to achieve at a later date.

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:01 am

I am commenting so I can understand what you mean. I am wanting to see your point of view. So the reason that Americans are not jumping as high is because they are not back a stride? so they cannot compete with the world? Tarasov ran from 18 steps. This is why I dont think this is the reason for the "low" performances. I consider a 16 step through a 20 step long runs, but I think a 20 is Ideal if that is where you can run the fastest with proper mechanics but if not then a 18 would be and so forth. Its about progression with not only your run but your technique. I agree with VaultPurple on what he is saying.
dj wrote:I MYSELF had two of my decathletes vault from 5 lefts just day before yesterday… the best one (deacthlete) was jumping 4.50 when I left 2 years ago… he only jumped 4.20 last year!!! in this "short run session" he gripped 4.10 and popped over 4.20 time after time… and looked like a vaulter not a decathlon "pole jumper"…

I have a question for you on this comment. What was he going from when he jumped 4.20 last year?

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:37 am

hey

lunch break from competition... don't have time to do any detail..

elite men should be running 10 lefts, 20 strides... anything under 10 lefts/20 strides is too short to maximize your talent.. in my opinion...

of course it has toi be done correctly... which is what we are missing..

that opinion is based on how speed is created... how the body and mind 'adapts" specifically to what it is asked to do and the desire (to maximize your talent) to be at maximum usable speed at takeoff...

dj

ps.. i deleted my stupid comment from above... sorry

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”