ROUND TABLE WITH SERGEY BUBKA

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Re: ROUND TABLE WITH SERGEY BUBKA

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:00 am

dj wrote:good morning,

sorry ADTF and Alan you have it backwards as to what the "chart" as a monitor does...

stretching and therefore poor posture comes from hitting too far out at the :MID" for your speed level as does stepping under... the hips are in the wrong position to perform a penultimate.

I didn't want to do this or get started in on a wild who is right and who is wrong path. I did not attack or say anything is bad with your chart. In fact it is a good tool. It is not the golden tool you preach thats all I am saying.

Neither of these athletes are striding out, but reach the same speeds! Both with a 4 meter takeoff. Chopping steps of an athlete and forcing an athlete with natural power to chop is foolish. Learn how to harness it correctly. I have seen far to many coaches try to get their athletes to turn over quicker just to destroy power in the run and never get it back. I always ask myself this in every coaching decision, for every athlete this works for, how many has it wrecked? Ask that to yourself coaches I live in the world of not how many successes I have, but how many I didn't make fail. I feel into the turnover mindset years ago and wreck a lot of athletes. SL and SF must work together.

Metric Version:
Athlete A: 2 meter step length with step frequency of .225 = speed of 8.89 m/s will cover 12 meters in 1.35 seconds = mid of 16 meters
Athlete B: 2.2 meter step length with step frequency of .248 = speed of 8.88 m/s will cover 13.2 meters in 1.48 seconds = mid of 17.2 meters, but will cover 12 meters in the same 1.35 seconds. The speed is roughly the same so relative distance covered in a time based off each athletes SL and SF is the same!

Imperical Version: (roughly)
Athlete A: 6'6" meter step length with step frequency of .225 = speed of 8.89 m/s will cover 39'4" meters in 1.35 seconds = mid of 52'6" meters
Athlete B: 7'3" meter step length with step frequency of .248 = speed of 8.88 m/s will cover 43'4" meters in 1.48 seconds = mid of 56'5" meters

Athlete B has more power in their step but a slower cadence. Does a slower cadence mean striding out even if no drifting of the foot exists? Or is slow cadence the definition of striding out? What is the magic cadence time needed? Your charts are based off a cadence you won't talk about (i've asked) and dictates all athletes must have that same cadence (simple put get your foot down). Its not that simple. Time for leg to cycle, position of pelvic region, and numerous other factors in the Gait. That is my only issue with your chart not all athletes are the same and shouldn't have the same cadence. Otherwise I believe its a good bench mark tool to look at when trying to figure out if the run is correct. I've even used it as a comparison to my own data on athletes. Please don't make assumption or figure if you don't agree with me you must never have used it or know what your talking about. It really doesn't help make you point anymore correct.

I have done work with Ralph Mann and many other top sprint gurus and all their charts and models and programs. Some are cool some are boring some I just walk away. I have run my athletes against them and seen a variety of results. I do not agree with some of their findings and theories, but they at least based their information on the individual athlete and measure things like hip height and formulate a stride pattern for each individual.

There are two components to speed not one.

I continue to state as my only contribution to this topic. Without posture and hip height in the last two steps none of this matters. Low hips means reach means under means out of position. Learn the approach and learn how to execute a correct jumping takeoff. I'd hate to say it those that can't takeoff correct probably have better posture when they are under than if they ever tried to jump and sank the hips.

This forum is viewed by 9 to 12 foot women and 13 to 16 foot guys and their coaches. Please remember that in posts. Trying to address and audience that doesn't listen solves nothing.
Last edited by ADTF Academy on Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:18 am

Morning..

Not attacking anyone.. there is just a misconceptions, opposite of how the "MID" should be used to help you get the posture, speed, none stretch etc……

You know… I would have given up a long time ago trying to explain something that helps "self correct' the athlete because of physics…… But I have thought it was just TO important to the progress of the vault… there is a reason Bubka still holds the record…

unfortunately I have created more problems by even doing the science and creating the chart…

Everyone has tried to prove the chart wrong.. beat the chart.. in the mean time by trying so hard to disprove it.. we have gotten farther away from the correct run…

Every one of you keep saying "my vaulter can't get the posture, my vaulter still stretches those steps, my vaulter can't get a penultimate or a free takeoff……

Why can't they do it??? Physics…..

Do you think Bubka would have had the same posture, frequency..etc..etc if he had hit a "MID": of 58 feet instead of the 56/17.00m "MID" that he knew himself was close to where he needed to be?

If you guys not willing to explore or accept that if they are over striding, creating poor posture, takeoff under because they reach.. and don't have the stride lengths and frequencies proportionate to Bubka's 9.5mps and 56 "MID"… I'm ready to "tap" out!

dj

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:08 pm

"If you guys not willing to explore or accept that if they are over striding, creating poor posture, takeoff under because they reach.. and don't have the stride lengths and frequencies proportionate to Bubka's 9.5mps and 56 "MID"… I'm ready to "tap" out!"

Come on dj that is a ridiculous statement. I suspect that everyone who posts in the advanced section understands the importance of not overstriding, of ensuring good posture and of not reaching into the take off. What I AM saying is that if you run like a duck it does not matter what check marks you use - so learn to run properly first AND THEN if you feel the midmark chart is useful then by all means use it . BUT and this is the big BUT, do not try to use until you are running properly and can plant the pole with complete control.

I have no problem with your chart - in fact I accept that it is the product of your careful analysis of good vaulters you have worked with, Perhaps if i had known about it when I was coaching I might have tried it out -but I managed to coach from many years without using it in the way you suggest - of course we used a 6 step mid as a check mark for the coach NOT as a cue mark for the athlete and I never related it to the athletes grip height. It just seems to me that with young athletes especially there are too many other variables to tie these two elements together - with experienced athletes with a stable technique -who can already run well and increase cadence into take off - it is likely that your chart is accurate and useful.

However the only elite athletes that I did work with for a short time - Markov, Chystiakov and Grigorieva - did not use any formal grip height/mid mark system -although it is possible that it would have helped Victor who did have run up issues at times -although at 6'7" , gripping higher than anyone else - and probably the fastest guy to pick up a pole - he may have been doomed to such problems. ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:45 am

ADTF Academy wrote:
dj wrote:
toe a mark and walk 6 normal steps... add a foot to the distance covered and walk six steps... what has to happen? you either have to "push" more on each step or stretch.

dj

Ok perfect example. walk those 6 steps and than dip on step 5 lowering your center of mass and proceed to step 6. What happens? You don't have room for your 6th step to strike the ground so it lands out front. Teach marks on the ground all you want, but if the athlete doesn't know who to execute a proper jumping action with posture and maintenance of speed through takeoff none of it matters.

Alan is 100% correct that to begin learning how starts into the sand, over a hurdle, from short approach and etc of drills we all do onto plyo boxes. Bottom line is when the athlete goes all out can they have the mental ability to hold posture into and through the takeoff. If they lose posture they will reach every time.

I strongly agree with ADTF's comments about not sinking at the penultimate, in fact, I was just having this conversation with a fellow coach the other day! He was coaching one of his athletes to sink into the penultimate, which I respectfully disagreed with (even though I was taught to use a "settle-step" when I learned to vault...too bad). It led to a nice long conversation at my house where I tried to explain how the hips should stay high through the penultimate if the planting action is done properly...if your hands are in position at the right time, you don't need to sink in order to jump, and you won't compress, lower your COM, or lose any speed by jumping! It's called a free takeoff and there's more to it than just moving the step out or following charts.

I also agree with what DJ is saying for the most part, but I don't personally use his chart or any chart (although I have found that it usually lines up pretty darn close). I just pay attention to the cadence, hand motion, and the stride length into the plant (strongly affected by the hand motion), also the posture and the pole drop (which strongly affects posture, hand motion, and stride length).

Great discussion, thanks Bruce for getting it going
Tom

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:22 am

NICE THREAD and some really good post and comments here! I am impressed with them all.
Let me state I may of been the first I have ever seen it published, however I am not the founder of actions!
I saw some talk of curiousness of it in Dr Ganslens books Mechanics of the pole vault and I heard it first from David Bussabarger talk of it in many articles and discussions. I know he shared the thoughts with Bill Faulk on the matter.
Dave Roberts claimed it worked for him and I published it in 1974, yet many vaulter were breaking records with out the use of it Larry Jessee, Bob Seagren, Terry Porter, Steve Smith and it was difficult to preach that these guys were doing it wrong when they were praised as record setters!

The most defined written knowledge of it is from Alan Landers written books. And it describes it the best finitely!!!

While each person discusses it their in their variation it is based on who they worked with. I preached it to Terry Porter but he still jumped his best under by 1 foot when I helped him in 1976 to 18'4". Many high school coaches had success with their young athletes having them drive the box with a flat and under take-off and was able to use and handle big poles with this style. The use of the style was more prominent in Europe than any where else!
As a result other manufacturers of poles have maintained the vault to being a two stage event and have produced their poles to fit this act of two stages.
Yet all books and drawings dictate the vault is a two pendulum event and moving upward from take off to bar fluently with out the hesitation or stall seen in USA Vaulters today!! Some manufacturers have even responded with poles that force the vaulter to rush the vault to catch up with the fast returning pole!
Bottom line we need to move the step out to transfer the energy to the vault from the swing rather than the pole at take off!

JUST MY THOUGHTS and I was not the first and not claiming to be the first. Just that I published it when Petrov was 14 years old!

Bruce

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:03 am

good morning,

hopefully wednesday i can video a beginning vaulter that i will teach to hold the pole, run and sand vault the first day..

i want to demonstrate that i don't "start" with the numbers... the numbers come into play only once i have the "natural", good or bad, and i measure the natural "MID" for 12 steps (6 lefts) and place cones equally for the last six for that run... this is done on the track... then i can place cones "MID" in two other lanes that are stride that are longer or shorter...

this is all done in the first hour... i did it yesterday but didn't have spaceon my camera because of a big weekend of filming...

dj

PS just for reference i posted this on the other thread... AND i do want to say... this is an Advanced thread... and allthough i use the numbers "system" at all levels.. what i did with the beginner on the track yesterday to establish "natural" for the run from start to "MID" and "MID" to takeoff is exactly what i did with Earl Bell in the fall of 1974 and Mike Tully in the winter of 1983... exactly.... on the track.. natural acceleration TO the "MID" chalk lines for each step from the "MID" to takeoff... BUTT this is an advanced thread.. what i try and explain on here is how to use the "MID" check point to fine tunr a world class athlete.. what is done with the "flat footed" (like my guy yesterday) is different.. very different.. and what you have to do with the none elite is different.. but still is done using the "MID" as a check point and training tool. sprint drills, 20-20's ect can and should be used to help cloorrect form.. yesterday i had to do the approach runs on the track with the beginner "without" the pole .. but the difference in useing the "MID" system is the stride lengths are in proportion to each vaulters speed level..

SAID..Specfic Adaptation to Imposed Demands.....

then i coach.. "come out of the back"... "get your feet down" (from the "MID" to takeoff) "and plant big"

this is from the other post...

First there shouldn't be a "controversy"… and contrary to belief the chart was science, math, and not "Imperical " data.

I don't want to put to much on this thread because I will continue to "explain" in the thread below that is already going…

But please try and understand the chart is as simple as comparing proportions.. 14 to 16..13-5 to 14-7… 45 to 49… which I did in 1971-72…

14…13-5…45 add 7.3mps to this group as one group.. 16…14-7…49..+8.1mps to this group

Insert 15 in for 14 or 16 and what do you get for the other numbers???? Insert 19 or 20 in for 14 or 16//what do you get?

BUTT that said the "key" is how to use the science to our benefit to coach our athletes and have them take advantage of this "tool" by running Approach runs on the track to develop the skills, speed and consistency with the "numbers" that closely "fit" your level of vaulting……. so we all become better.

I can visually see the differences… and from experience and logic, what effect I think the differences should make… knowing the speed would help… I know from the science.. stride length and frequency that a 55 "MID" goes with 9.3mps or you are stretching or chopping… a 58 "MID" has to have 9.9mps or you are definitely stretching..

Anyway.. there is a 3 or 4 jump series of Borges, on youtube.. that the camera is at the same place.. just comparing those three jumps, "mids" in three different places.. can tell you a lot.. of course we don't know the speed or if he changed poles between jumps.. but whither he did or didn't.. on of those three had the best "MID".. the other two were very definitely effected by the "MID"..

More on the other thread .. when I get some time.. full week

dj

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:08 am

good morning,

i did some video of the "process" i use to establish a correct run before i reference the chart...

still busy and haven't re-read the post so i can answer correctly...

points i can make are this...

first ADTF..i never force the athlete to "chop" and slow down or perform the way you were describing it… referencing the chart creates the correct stride length and frequency... i force them to "get the feet down" equally over the last six with increased "frequency" leading up to the plant/takeoff..... hopefully what all of us are seeking to do.. I think what everyone continues to miss is HOW I do it.. and yes by using the "physics" that my chart represents.

Second… if an athlete has a 58 "MID" and is only running 9.3MPS (which is why they can jump 5.75) they are stretching.. even though it may be subtle… if they cannot increase the frequency/piston action they will not have the hips in the right position to takeoff correctly and normally will reach. Tully had this same problem.. look at Brads Donetsk jump.. I think he "reaches" the last step… Mike was going long-longer on the last two steps.. data from Peter McGinnis.. over the next year we changed to long short… it was done by referencing the chart… I am convinced after 40 years and studying and applying the "physics" of speed and the need for a penultimate, in both the long jump and pole vault (pole vault is much more subtle) everyone can do and must do it…

Third if a vaulter continues to stretch the last step (reach) the "MID" is of… you have to move the "MID" up and teach the rhythm, posture etc.. once they are at a "MID" that they can "get the feet down" and perform a penultimate (the penultimate gives you the "impulse".. Mike Tully NEVER wanted to jump… and I would imagine anyone that worked under Tellez had the same thoughts)

Any athlete with the talent to jump national standards can make the changes…

I'm just not able to explain it … maybe you need to see me do it..

Gotta.. run to training

dj

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:04 pm

hey

Before I continue with these, hopefully "brief" points.. I want to remove the chart from the discussions.. it's not actually about the chart at all… the chart is my reference … the process makes the difference…improving and correcting the Approach run and takeoff is what we have been discussing.

These issues,
1. Under takeoff
2. None "free" takeoff (or Out)
3. Posture
4. Reached last step
5. Forced bending of the pole.
6. Stretched steps on the run

First a correct "impulse", penultimate takeoff is not actually a product of whither you were "born" with "hops". You have "hops" in relationship to your speed level and your speed level is proportionate to your strength/power and how you technically use it, meaning in a none stretched manner.

A correct "implused" takeoff is the result of a "long-short" last two steps and having the hips in the right position (none reached) prior to arriving at those two steps.

"Quickening" the last two steps is somewhat a better term. This is a very "subtle" move.. the faster you are running the more subtle it becomes…

Petrov said.. "The length of the strides is a little shorter as compared to sprint, the body is straightened. The length of the strides should not change abruptly. The 2nd last step is longer than the last one by 10-20 cm (optional)."

Most of the vaulters I have had to change, including Tully who in the first McGinnis data study, 1983?? had a long and LONGER last two steps… 6-9/2.05m to 7-1/2.15 last…

it was not a matter of "hops" but hitting the correct positions and that is only done by not stretching prior to those steps. Changing this became one of our three focuses for the Olympic year.

In '84 he had 2.13/7' penultimate & 2.06m/6-9. Last step. ----& 2.17m/7-2 & 1.98m/6-6……. In '87 he had 2.14m/7-1 & 2.00m6-6…

The vaulter doesn't actually "think" long-shot.. they think "quick-quick".. most athletes have said they "feel" like they have chopped BOTH of the last two steps.

How they get the long-short comes from doing a little practice in the long jump pit of course, but just for "feel" and to activate the right muscle groups…

The change comes mainly from how the penultimate step is taken in conjunction with the pole plant, posture, correct hip alignment and moving/pushing the right hip forward while keeping the right foot close to the runway… …and this can only happen if the vaulter is not stretching. Stretching takes you "out of position" before the penultimate and lowers the mass prior to the penultimate, making it virtually impossible to "dig yourself from the hole.. making you reach/fall.. onto the last step and into an "under" takeoff with the force going downward into the box.

Posture; Posture comes from function.. if you don't stretch or "chop" you have a better chance to have the correct posture.. If you do the 20/20 drill for speed/pole carry/posture work you will understand this.. the steps are one meter and short enough that you don't have to run maximum speed to keep the correct "posture"… if you are running your maximum speed and have to cover a distance "longer" than "normal" for your speed level…. to hit the board in the long jump or to hit the correct takeoff in the vault.. if you are too far out you will either have to speed up or stretch.. I don't know of any other choices in this scenario …. stretching is the loss of posture.

Speed is a product of stride length and stride frequency… two components, air time and contact time……….

Comparing a coaches check mark.. wither it's 4 or 6…

From Petrov

"This part in covered in 6 strides and equals to 17,0 – 17,5 m (shown by top athletes of the world) if measured from the back of the box.

The key to the correct vaulting technique lies in practically all the movements of the drop and push part of the run-up – both for the beginners and for more advanced vaulters.

Without changing the running pace and running position, 6 to 5 strides before the push, the vaulter begins the drop. This is done with the help of pulling and rotation (initial) of the right hand.

During the next two run-up strides (4-3 steps) the vaulter’s attention is focused on the slight thrust of the hips forward without losing control over the shoulders, maintaining their leading role in the run-up."

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Bubka.. 5.85 jump (6.12 max height COM)’87 the max height COM was @105cm past vertical..
Pole…5.10/5.20 pacer…grip…5.10m.. Flex…?…Standards…?cm

Length last two steps………………..pen..2.10m...last…2.04cm
Speed last two steps…………………pen..9.46m/s..last..9.54m/s
pole angle at plant…………………………………....28.6 degrees
Vertical extension of plant arm at plant…………...99.4%
Takeoff toe in relation to grip…………………….. 10cm/3.9" under..
Takeoff toe in relationship to the box....................4.37m/14'4".........
Projected 4 and 6 step "MID" coaches mark...12.55m/41-2/16.69m/54-6

……….numbers at takeoff.. toe leaving the runway….
Horizontal Velocity of CG……………………………8.04 m/s
Vertical Velocity of CG……………………………....2.37 m/s
Resultant Velocity of CG……………………………..8.38 m/s
Takeoff angle…………………………………………16.4degrees
Pole bend %…………………………………….…….1.6%
Takeoff toe in relation to top grip……………...……. 2cm/
Pole angle just as toe leaves the runway………….…..29.6 degrees
Impluse.. duration of takeoff foot contact………….0.12sec
Maximum bend………………………………….........27.1%
Minimum effective pole length……………………..3.73m/12’2.7”
Angle of pole cord to vertical at maximum bend…..61.7degrees
Time of max bend after Takeoff……………………..0.49sec
Total time of jump……………………………………1.55sec

Tully.. 5.75 jump (5.81 max height COM)PRE 87 the max height COM was @66cm past vertical..
Pole…5.00 pacer…grip 4.92m.. Flex…?…Standards…?cm
Length last two steps………………..pen..2.14m...last…2.00cm
Speed last two steps…………………pen..9.34m/s..last..9.43m/s
pole angle at plant………………………………....29.2 degrees
Vertical extension of plant arm at plant…………...97.1%
takeoff toe in relation to grip……………………..26cm/10.2" under..!!!!!!!!!!!!!
takeoff toe in relationship to the back of the box... 4.09/13-5
Projected 4 and 6 step "MID" coaches mark...12.35m/40-8/16.51m/54-0

…………numbers at takeoff.. toe leaving the runway….
Horizontal Velocity of CG……………………………7.78 m/s
Vertical Velocity of CG……………………………....2.38 m/s
Resultant Velocity of CG…………………………..8.14 m/s
Takeoff angle…………………………………………17.0degrees
Pole bend %…………………………………….…….2.1%
Takeoff toe in relation to top grip……………...……. 10cm/ 4.3”
Pole angle just as toe leaves the runway………….…..30.4 degrees
Impluse.. duration of takeoff foot contact……………..0.12sec
Maximum bend…………………………………….…28.0%
Minimum effective pole length……………………3.57m/11’8.4”
Angle of pole cord to vertical at maximum bend…62degrees
Time of max bend after Takeoff……………………...0.48sec
Total time of jump……………………………………1.50sec

I suspect Bubka could have been at 17.00m/55-4 ... or ? 17.16/56.. but 57'/17.47m would add 4 inches/10cm per stride making each 2.17m/7'2" before he had to "cut" to 2.07/6-10... a 58 .. six step would add 7 more cm/3 additional inches per the last 4 strides...

Tully's numbers i am aware of... he was at 54-2ish.. and should have been at 55'2 plus.. he was running well, had to back off and got slammed under..

This video shows him with a coaches mark at around56-2, with a tailwind... his posture, speed and impulse were going in the right direction.... he was on his way to "feeling' and understanding how it worked...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA7Dapjsh9A

Tully said; "when i do it right i feel like i "chop" without backing off and i'm 3 to 4 inches out. When that happens i know i had better swing like H**** to catch up with the pole or i'm going to go over the back of the pit"... his words.

I don't see any of today's vaulters with 57'-58' or even 59' marks that are running 9.50 mps or higher,

That indicates stretching... which continues to cause the issues we are trying to correct...

To jump "like" Bubka you need to be as close as possible to his "physics"... all of it not pick and choose what part you want to "copy"...

The vault is 90% run and starts with the first step.

dj

PS.. for those that want the approximate... 4 step numbers.........

16.54m/54 = 40-8
16.85m/55 = 41-4
17.16m/56 = 42-0
17.47m/57 = 42-8
17.78m/58 = 43-4
18.09m/59 = 44-0

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:34 pm

"I strongly agree with ADTF's comments about not sinking at the penultimate, in fact, I was just having this conversation with a fellow coach the other day! He was coaching one of his athletes to sink into the penultimate, which I respectfully disagreed with (even though I was taught to use a "settle-step" when I learned to vault...too bad). "

I have made the point before on this forum that human beings were solving their own movement problems long before teachers and coaches came on the scene. Ideally -as in the long jump - what you want is a NON conscious response to the challenge of changing from the horizontal to a horizontal/upward movement> so if the athlete is continually encouraged to jump up at take off -and stiff pole jumping almost forces this - the brain body prepares itself with a NON conscious slight lowering of the hips on the penultimate stride -which naturally results in a slight alteration of the length of the stride. The coach should never mention this or provide cues - just provide the challenge of jumping up - preferably over bars - and the brain body will sort it out.

I came to this conclusion after working with a world class long jumper at WKU - I looked at the literature (cant remember what now but theory not track and field) so instead of providing him with cues i simply positioned a volleyball over the pit - ironically using pole vault stands - working out the right place by trial and error and asked him to jump up to head the ball from a short approach run. It was placed so he could never quite reach it but being competitive he would try for as long as was useful. No cues -just a challenge - which humans will always respond to making whatever adjustments they need to - non consciously! I had earlier learned with other events that information in the form of cues can get in the way of performance - IMHO all great physical performances are non conscious.

US athletes did bring the idea to OZ some years ago but as far as I know no one here picked it up - I believe they called it a 'trick step'???

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:35 pm

"JUST MY THOUGHTS and I was not the first and not claiming to be the first. Just that I published it when Petrov was 14 years old!"

Some great posts here but my original question remains unanswered! :confused:

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:21 am

good morning,

i've been writing more to try and find the "answer' to why we are not getting closer together on this...

i know we are trying to get the same result...what we see Bubka doing in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHux1b3XRIA

this may not be his best but shows the complete run with the desired result.....

this is not about the chart it's about correcting the things i mentioned before..

1. Under takeoff
2. None "free" takeoff (or Out)
3. Posture
4. Reached last step
5. Forced bending of the pole.
6. Stretched steps on the run

so i will ask some questions.. to Alan, Tom and Danny

1 what do you do to correct these issues?

2 what do you do to monitor and/or correct the run and pole carry?

3 Do you do Approach Runs on the track film them, time and monitor, segment them with markers or analyze each "segment" ?(although we al want "one" run or all segments to blend as one in competition)

4 what drills or training tools do you use to accomplish/correct these?

thanks

dj

PS… Alan want was your question again? And I will at least answer with my "opinion".
Last edited by dj on Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:53 am

Good morning dj,

I basically watch the approach, the tip of the pole dropping continuously, watch posture, and listen to the cadence of the athlete's footstrike. I don't really often watch takeoff marks because you can tell when someone hits under (just from the sound and resulting reaction). I'd like to experiment more with the mid, but haven't used it much at this point. If someone is out at the mid, it's pretty easy to tell because they stretch and sink into the last strides and usually hit under, or sometimes run through. My coaching partner is very in tune with these same key points, so between the two of us we can usually give good feedback on the approach. It is my plan to build a system where athletes check each other's mids...I see the value of it and I believe you that your chart is accurate for the vast majority of vaulters.

We do tons of pole runs, usually on the football field where we use the yard markers to measure runs. The turf is soft, so run distances are a bit shorter than what you'd see on the runway, but it saves a lot of shin splint issues. On all the pole runs we focus on pole drop, acceleration, and posture. We also do 20/20's, sometimes over mini-hurdles. In my experience, if you can teach someone to run tall and powerful, carry the pole high and keep it centered and close to the body, then drop it using gravity from 6 strides out, they will naturally accelerate and quicken their strides into the takeoff. That is the thing that we spend our time focusing on.

I would love to experiment with a detailed video breakdown of athlete's approach! This is much more feasible for professional coaches like you, altius, and ADTF. There's only so much you can do as a part-time volunteer coach with 18 credits, a night job, and three sons. My friend and I help out 2-3 times/week or so during track season, and run the winter and summer club practices, where we are usually jumping along with the kids...most of our club practices we have 20-30 kids from several schools. I hope that some day we are in a position to develop a program down to the finest detail...in the meantime a lot of the things we are focusing on are working.

Thank you dj for all your contributions to this site!
Tom

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”