Weak Take-Off Position

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
Eazzy
PV Newbie
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 16'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lavillenie

Weak Take-Off Position

Unread postby Eazzy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:48 am

Okay, So i'm a 16 foot guy but have a very weak take-off. I was reviewing some footage from my meet last week, cleared 15'1" and was gassed at 15'7 bar. I just can't help but noticing my take off position. When i take off it just seems like i put my arms up, my left arm being infront of my face, right arm above my head, and i take off and just wait there for the pole to hit the box. I have a relatively free take off around 12'-12'6" holding about 14-14'6'ish. Im a tall guy, around 6'2. I just cant be active at take-off!!!

I started working on this at practice recently from a short run and felt a little better and it felt like i was crushing the pole, but i wasnt landing deep so i figured this was caused by a stronger take-off. I just felt the pole bend and then as i got inverted and pulled through I could really feel the pole toss me. But when i go back to my long run I fail to be active. What do you guys recommend for drills for this? Slide-boxes from a 3 step or so? Im stuck on this take-off thing, it makes me angry. As most know PennRelays is this week and i'd love to have some magical break through where i add a foot too my PR hahah. Theres no doubt in my mind that once i solve this problem i'm going to start jumping much much much higher.

Thanks for the input!

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Weak Take-Off Position

Unread postby dj » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:31 am

good morning,

to get an explosive, "implused", attack takeoff the last twosteps have to be quick and quicker.. generally long-short...

to do this the strides need to be "tightened up from six steps to takeoff.... Petrov and others have said the last six steps have to be "increased frequency and "equal" in lenght, except of course the last two which are "long-short" but not by more than 10cm...

check your six step... bring it in a little and increase the frequency... by "cutting"each step slightly.. this will give you the ability to "up" impulse and continue to takeoff "out"....

dj

Eazzy
PV Newbie

Unread postby Eazzy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:15 pm

Morning, ill give this a shot at practice today.Now when you say quicken up from 6 step to take-off do you mean my last 3 lefts? And could you clarify what you mean by no more than 10 cm.

Thanks DJ

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:33 pm

yes the last 3 lefts....

when the last two steps are proformed correctly (penultimate) the next to last is longer.. but not more than 10cm and the last step is shorter by 10cm...

ie.. a 16-6 vaulter could have an average stride of 6-3 for the last six steps, 3 lefts... or a 50 foot six step "MID"...

the last two steps would be; next to last.. 6-7 last 5-11...

the long-short pattern/posture gives you the "jump" impluse....... for an attack, agressive plant/takeoff...

good luck

dj

Eazzy
PV Newbie

Unread postby Eazzy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:56 am

Yeah from my 6left, my mid is about 50-51. But i definitely tried putting those last 3 steps down faster and being more explosive with my hands and i ended up blowing through my normal 6step starter pole, from my 4 step. So definitely starting to see some improvements.
Thanks a lot!

Ill still gladly accept everyone else's input, always room to improve.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”