Take off and Penetration Problems

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
brad757johnson
PV Newbie
Expertise: HS/ college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.80
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Take off and Penetration Problems

Unread postby brad757johnson » Fri May 04, 2012 12:12 am

Lately I have been having a difficulty getting deep in the pit. My takeoff mark is on and I am crushing a 15 170 from 6lefts but I just cannot penetrate into the pit. Every vault I get stood up and rejected and end up landing in the pit. My coach is saying its because I need to keep pushing the pole and keep pressure on the pole but I cannot wrap my head around what he is trying to say. Any suggestions ??

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Take off and Penetration Problems

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:07 am

Hold lower. You're not crushing it if you're not getting in the pit. Holding lower will increase your pole speed and decrease the overbending problem you may be having.

brad757johnson
PV Newbie

Unread postby brad757johnson » Fri May 04, 2012 7:31 am

Thank you that's sounds smart I didn't really think about holding down because of the fact that sometimes I can get on it. But I will try to hold down the next time I have practice to increase my pole speed but I still am having troubble applying the concept of keeping pressure on the pole. My coach just says push the pole and I have been increasing having this problem as I have been getting on bigger poles.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Fri May 04, 2012 1:55 pm

brad757johnson wrote:Lately I have been having a difficulty getting deep in the pit. My takeoff mark is on and I am crushing a 15 170 from 6lefts but I just cannot penetrate into the pit. Every vault I get stood up and rejected and end up landing in the pit. My coach is saying its because I need to keep pushing the pole and keep pressure on the pole but I cannot wrap my head around what he is trying to say. Any suggestions ??

can you post your video?
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

brad757johnson
PV Newbie

Unread postby brad757johnson » Sat May 05, 2012 12:36 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCR3ky1Q ... e=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkD_Nwdy ... e=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A09Vu-C_ ... e=youtu.be

theres just a couple but i was dong alot of things wrong this day so dont judge my entire vault and ive cleared 15ft pleanty of times i just was not comming off the top at all and couldnt get the hip height. Uploaded them kinda quick

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue May 08, 2012 8:08 am

What is your height/weight?

It looks to me as though you should be using a pole 5 lbs lighter in training -while you learn how to continue to put energy into the pole during the swing into inversion. One relatively simple way to do this is to ensure that the left left leg swings straight all the way above the head - you are flexing it way too early. That said you appear to be doing several things -including the take off - well. But look at the positioning of your left hand/arm at the plant that may be affecting your swing.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Wed May 09, 2012 10:28 am

Aside form the "tuck and shoot" that Altius described, you are blocking with your shoulders at take-off. Common problem when vaulters focus on pressing a good plant into take-off. I had the issue myself. This causes you to never hit a maximized pre-stretch and your COM is too far behind the pole, both of which hinder a good straight trail leg swing to a finished position where your hips rise above your shoulders. It's a funny thing to fix. You have to still press a solid plant the way you are, BUT at the same time keep the shoulders relaxed so your body rotates at the shoulders and moves in as much as possible. Your bottom hand should end up over your head at a finished take-off (assuming your grip isn't too wide. Yours looks ok.).

So how do you press hard, but relax the shoulders at the same time? Well, keeping your bottom arm elbow out to the left (which you do very well) AND instead of "tensing" your arm muscles at the plant, CONTINUALLY press both hands straight up. Those two things (bottom elbow out and constantly "REACHING/PRESSING both hands straight up) together will "disengage" the shoulders from isometric contraction (keep them relaxed). The key for you is the ACTION of constantly pressing BOTH hands straight up. There's a big difference between a high plant and the ACTION of constantly pressing high hands at plant and take-off. The first is what you are doing (isometric contraction of the arm muscles, aka a form of "blocking"). The later creates relaxed shoulders and allows the body to move into the "pocket" as it is sometimes refered to. Here's a snapshot of you and one of Bubka at the same point:

Chris Mitchell
MitchellPro Vault Club

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby superpipe » Wed May 09, 2012 10:36 am

My coach is saying its because I need to keep pushing the pole and keep pressure on the pole

Sounds like your coach may have been telling your the right thing. The constant "ACTION" of pressing both hands high.
Chris Mitchell
MitchellPro Vault Club

superpipe
PV Pro

Unread postby superpipe » Wed May 09, 2012 10:48 am

Another shot showing a more obvious block at the shoulders:

Chris Mitchell
MitchellPro Vault Club

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Tue May 15, 2012 10:30 am

brad757johnson wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCR3ky1QuBM&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkD_Nwdy ... e=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A09Vu-C_ ... e=youtu.be

theres just a couple but i was dong alot of things wrong this day so dont judge my entire vault and ive cleared 15ft pleanty of times i just was not comming off the top at all and couldnt get the hip height. Uploaded them kinda quick

My friend, I could tell you about clever technical issues, but the most obvious thing to me is that you need to work on your run. You could run faster and you need that to be on this grip and pole. In other words, you are over gripping for your speed, it seems to me. It is admirable that you still going for it, that’s awesome! However, if you going to grow your results you need to address your run. Our event is about speed after all, no matter how you slice it.

I can see you step is a bit restricted, your hips are not mobile and that also keeps your knees lower and step shorter.

That is what I think :)

Good luck!
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Tue May 15, 2012 11:55 am

hye

lighter poles, more elastic in the shoulders.. stop the "block" and get your run on........

match your grip to the grip you can move to vertical (pole speed) with a NONE Blocked, forced bend takeoff.....

dj

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue May 15, 2012 6:07 pm

"My friend, I could tell you about clever technical issues"

Aren't you being a bit clever there yourself old friend? Looks as if you have caught the speed disease that was prevalent in the US in the 90's - and forgotten Petrov's emphasis on perfecting 'clever' technical issues.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”