How Long was Bubka's Approach Run?

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
PV-ATL
PV Whiz
Expertise: PV Coach, Club Owner (Pole Vault Atlanta, PV-ATL)
Lifetime Best: 14-6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren

How Long was Bubka's Approach Run?

Unread postby PV-ATL » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:58 am

Gang,

Does anyone know how long, in feet, Bubka's approach run was? I was hoping for how far it was in the 1990's, at the top of his career. I know it was 11 lefts (22 steps...), but I am wondering how long it was.

I am doing a clinic for coaches and having this number would really help.

Cheers,

PV-ATL

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Re: How Long was Bubka's Approach Run?

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:17 pm

I've never seen Bubka jump from 11 lefts?? And I think I've seen every video of him on the internet.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

PV-ATL
PV Whiz

Unread postby PV-ATL » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Kyle,

Ok... it must be 10. I must have lost count. Still, how far is his run-up?

Cheers,

PV-ATL

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:58 pm

PV-ATL wrote:Gang, I am doing a clinic for coaches and having this number would really help.

Intrigued by this!! Interested to learn why this information would be of value to 'novice'??? coaches??
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

PV-ATL
PV Whiz

Unread postby PV-ATL » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:38 pm

Altius,

Thanks for your interest! I am honored, as well I should!

I am trying to explain why vaulters should run "underneath" and not reach for the box. I will try to use the best PV'ter of all time to illustrate this.

For instance, here in GA, USA, it is normal to see a 10-6 girl jumping 5 lefts from 60 or so feet. That, to me is "stretching". Not much speed there! The kid ends up finishing the jump on her heels.

If I knew that, say, Bubka's approach was 10 lefts at 120 feet (... or whatever it was, which is what I am trying to find...), I will be able to show that proper running "underneath", shorter, more powerful strides, brings more efficient speed to the plant. Thus, using the best of all time as an example.

I have been working hard on teaching the kids: High knees, shorter strides, striking "underneath", staying on the balls of the feet. The rewards have been imediate. Example: 11-0 grip, 8 lefts, 76 feet. I like it. It works, but the kids have to practice it! In other words: We try to apply the "20-20" drill to the runway.

Cheers,

PV-ATL

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:46 pm

PV-ATL wrote:Altius,

Thanks for your interest! I am honored, as well I should!

I am trying to explain why vaulters should run "underneath" and not reach for the box. I will try to use the best PV'ter of all time to illustrate this.

For instance, here in GA, USA, it is normal to see a 10-6 girl jumping 5 lefts from 60 or so feet. That, to me is "stretching". Not much speed there! The kid ends up finishing the jump on her heels.

If I knew that, say, Bubka's approach was 10 lefts at 120 feet (... or whatever it was, which is what I am trying to find...), I will be able to show that proper running "underneath", shorter, more powerful strides, brings more efficient speed to the plant. Thus, using the best of all time as an example.

I have been working hard on teaching the kids: High knees, shorter strides, striking "underneath", staying on the balls of the feet. The rewards have been imediate. Example: 11-0 grip, 8 lefts, 76 feet. I like it. It works, but the kids have to practice it! In other words: We try to apply the "20-20" drill to the runway.

Cheers,

PV-ATL

If i had to guess, Bubka's 10 would have been over 130' but that is just a guess. However what is right depends on the person, 60ft is not far for a 5 for a fast athlete because that is just an average of 5' per step about.

Take a look at DJ's mid mark chart for the last 6 steps to see about how long the steps should be at certain speeds and vaulting ability:

http://www.nacactfca.org/Johnston6stride.pdf

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:06 am

I would guess closer to 150ft than 120 feet.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

PV-ATL
PV Whiz

Unread postby PV-ATL » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:31 pm

Gang,

So, really, does anyone know how far, in feet, Bubka's approach run was? I would really like to know!

Cheers,

PV-ATL

gtc
PV Whiz

Unread postby gtc » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:11 am

His marker was a few feet in front of mine in 1988 at Helsinki. I was running from about 144'

PV-ATL
PV Whiz

Unread postby PV-ATL » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:33 pm

GTC,

Thanks! I will use, say, 142ft as a guide? This will be helpful!

Cheers,

PV-ATL

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:14 am

good morning,

Tully was around 140ish for 20 steps... with the first two steps being appx 8 feet... and a "MID" (last six steps-55ish)

Bubka's start on a 20 stride was about the same with a "MID" of 17.15/17.50/56-57...
his 18 step indoors in LA was 128' ish with a 17.00/17.15 six step.

If you use "science data as your guide...His last two steps at the takeoff were commonly in the 6-8 to 6-10 range.. with an average of 6-9/2.05 meters his mid would be 12.30+4.35TO=16.65 six step "MID"!!!!

Most world class vaulters(and horizontal jumpers for that matter) have a "stride length" 10% or more, LONGER just "before" the last six steps and at the end of the "push" acceleration phase..… interesting phenomenon because there is a fine line between "over striding" and having the hips in the correct position to "get the feet down" = "last six steps of equal length with increased frequency"-V. Petrov………….

If you want to have the best approach run possible… run your approach "back" from the "MID".. not the box, on the track… several times to get the best "natural" acceleration TO the "MID".. from the mid to the plant should be six almost equal steps with increased frequency.

dj

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”