Renaud Lavillenie

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
vaultdawg2014
PV Beginner
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.75
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby vaultdawg2014 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:46 pm

I would like to start this post of by speculating that I'm not entirely sure where this post should fall... Also, Renaud is my one of my favorite vaulters for many reasons.

With that being said, I have a question. The question is, how are so many vaulters able to jump so high while having less than perfect technique? Obviously I realize that the only person one could claim had close to perfect technique was Bubka, and even then he admits the he wasn't. What I mean by this, is there are aspects of the vault, aspects which I previously thought crucial, that Renaud seems to not do particularly well. I do not mean that I wish to emulate him, other than in the essence of vaulting very high, but that I want to understand the physics of the vault so thoroughly that I know why things work and why things don't. I'd like to tell myself I'm knowledgeable in the sport. Walking off the mat after a jump, I often beat my coach in saying what was good/bad about the jump. I DO NOT know everything, and still consider myself a newbie in many aspects. My main concern with Renaud, is the last part of his runway into the takeoff. He seems to have a very low carry, relatively "late" plant, low takeoff, and low drive knee. I understand that his speed and explosiveness are huge factors in compensating for these, but I'm still at a loss. I'm still struggling to grip higher on poles, because my confidence goes to crap, although I have some positive things working for me in the takeoff. At 5'6" (on a good day), am relatively fast (11.20 100m dash), and have always had a good strength to body size ratio, stemming from gymnastics early on and wrestling my whole life (ended in high school). I guess my REAL question is about........fear...? This fear is what's preventing me from jumping on larger poles, because my head keeps telling me the slightest mistake in my runway, plant, or, takeoff could send me hurtling the wrong direction. I find this very peculiar... I know, cognitively that this is not true, that I'm athletic enough to compensate for slight errors, as elite vaulters do every vault. Funnily enough, I HAVE corrected these errors in a vault (taking off out or under or some funny steps or a late plant, etc...) This leads me to ask the question, why does my fear override me? Without sounding conceited (if it's possible) I have a very high pain tolerance. Luckily, none of my many biffs in pole vault has resulted in me becoming seriously injured. In all reality, I don't have many vaults the go awry. This is partially because I am on a relatively low grip 14' on a 15' pole at the present time, but also because this fear is pure poppycock! My question, ultimately, is this: How do I let my body trust in the things it's capable of, when I have shown it repeatedly that it is entirely capable of jumping on larger poles from longer runways, but it will just not listen??
You're only as good as you allow yourself to be.

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby CoachEric » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:38 pm

There's a lot of parts to your question, but I'll try to tackle it.

First, yes, Renaud has a less than perfect pole carry and plant according to the Petrov model - but it's still quite good. He does not let the pole tip go. It correctly crosses eye level at the start of the plant motion. His right hand tends to carry a bit low, but it does not prevent him from getting pretty good extension off on the plant, and he does not deccelerate too much. However, I submit to you that if he did correct this point, he would have an even better takeoff. His left hand is pretty close to being correct, and as the left is more important than the right when it comes to plant motion, the issue is minimized.

As for his plant, he is not late. I think it looks late to you because he carries with the low right hand. The distance to plant position is longer than other elite vaulters, therefore his hands have to move faster to get there, so it looks rushed. The point on knee drive that you mentioned is irrelevant. Hip position is important, knee position is not.

The reason Renaud is sucessful is because he is a tremendous athlete. Grip height is a function of speed on the runway, and Renaud is fast! More specifically, he is fast with a pole in his hands. I'm sure DJ would have something to say about this. And Renaud's technique is less flawed than you think.

I've seen the videos that you've posted in the Video Review section, and while you might run an 11.20 100m, you're still not very fast with a pole in your hands. Holding higher is not a fear thing - it's a speed and technique thing. So get it out of your head that you just need to "try harder" or "get over your fear" in order to raise your grip, and figure out what you're doing wrong and correct those issues meticulously and methodically. Specifically, figure out the points that are RELEVANT! I can tell you based on the video that you posted that your pole carry and plant motion are two of those relevant points that need work. It also looks like your step is off. Make sure you use DJ's mid mark chart.

vaultdawg2014
PV Beginner

Unread postby vaultdawg2014 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:40 pm

Thanks for your input! My runway has always given me troubles, and I wish I had more speed to bring down the runway. I notice that my running form is less than ideal, especially at the steps towards the end of my runway, largely affected by a sloppy pole carry, plant movement. While it has come a long way, it has a long way to go still. Our conference championship is this weekend, and I've enjoyed the light practices we've been having, as they give me time to put in good reps with drills. Again, thanks for the feedback!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:36 pm

vaultdawg2014 wrote: I notice that my running form is less than ideal, especially at the steps towards the end of my runway, largely affected by a sloppy pole carry, plant movement. While it has come a long way, it has a long way to go still.

You have answered your own question! Confidence comes from competence - in all of the elements you mention.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

vaultdawg2014
PV Beginner

Unread postby vaultdawg2014 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:58 am

Altius, what things do you see wrong with my running form, and pole carry, just to hear it again?

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:47 pm

I do not have much time!!!! But let us have some good quality film of entire run and take off and I will see what I can contribute.

WarPathMade
PV Newbie
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Unread postby WarPathMade » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:06 am

I think it is important to remember that a vaulter can still follow the Petrov model without mimicking Bubka exactly in the way he/ she moves. Just because an athlete does not look like an imitation of the world record holder at every single instance does not mean they are not following the ideas behind the Petrov model. That being said, it can't be a bad idea to try! Make proper form a priority but don't let yourself become rigid or robotic in doing it. Stay elastic and relaxed when putting your body in the proper positions!
"I know some things. I don't pretend to know that which I don't."

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:12 am

WarPathMade wrote:I think it is important to remember that a vaulter can still follow the Petrov model without mimicking Bubka exactly in the way he/ she moves. Just because an athlete does not look like an imitation of the world record holder at every single instance does not mean they are not following the ideas behind the Petrov model. That being said, it can't be a bad idea to try! Make proper form a priority but don't let yourself become rigid or robotic in doing it. Stay elastic and relaxed when putting your body in the proper positions!

Great insight and advice! :D :yes: Although I would prefer that folk stop using the term "form" and replace it with"technique" or " technical model"!

david bussabarger
PV Nerd
Expertise: former elite vaulter, author of vaulting books and many articles on vaulting technique.
Lifetime Best: 16-9, 1971
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Pursley

Unread postby david bussabarger » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:05 pm

VaultDawng,
I suggest that you read my post on Ideal technique in the fg. pv. Did the thought ever occur to you that just maybe Bubka's technique was not the closest to ideal? That just maybe Lavillenie's technique is at least in some respects superior to Bubka's. What will be the opinion on this if in the future Lavillenie breaks Bubka's world record ( a legit possiblity in my view )?
Advocates of the p/b model claim that the vaulter should emphasize springing as high as possible and push the pole towards vertical with the arms at take off. However, the more the vaulter raises his/her c.m. at the instant of take off, the greater the lose of the run's energy. Bubka can get away with this because he is the fastest vaulter of all time on the runway ( 1 tenth faster over the last 5m.s than the 2nd fastest 6m vaulter and 2 tenths faster than the 3rd fastest 6m vaulter based on available data ). An alternative technique is: 1. emphasize maintaining top speed through to the beginning of the take off 2. emphasize the development of a FORWARD/UPWARD springinging action 3.concentrate on keeping the body erect during the final stages of the run and during the beginning of the take off action 4. emphasize pressing the torso inward in coordination with your spring off action 5. Do not emphasize pushing the pole upwards towards vertical as you take off so as to keep your cm. lower as you take off. The combination off all these factors will increase the generation of forward momentum during the take off as well as doing a better job conserving the energy of the run ( increases penetration force ), which is critcal to maximizing your hand grip. This technque works particularly well for small vaulters like Joe Dial and Renaud Lavillenie.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”