And in the real world.........!

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
PVDaddy
PV Follower
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, High School coach, College coach
Lifetime Best: 10.5 Ft
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Cornelius Warmerdam

Re: And in the real world.........!

Unread postby PVDaddy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:44 pm

It was never my intent to make it a competition Altius but, only to give you a perspective on how well your kids in Adelaide are doing!
I do want to point out however, that the good ole USA also has coaches (Mostly just fathers not "Elite: either) living "In the real world" and achieving very good results as well! I do not know the 15 year old record here but Paulo Benavides jumped 4.93 Meters just this year.
Every jot and every tittle adds up to more than just a little.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:34 am

It really is a case of who can piss furthest isn't it. But 300 million with 10,000 vault pads and programs against 1.2million and one program is hardly fair.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:03 pm

PVDaddy wrote:It was never my intent to make it a competition Altius but, only to give you a perspective on how well your kids in Adelaide are doing!
I do want to point out however, that the good ole USA also has coaches (Mostly just fathers not "Elite: either) living "In the real world" and achieving very good results as well! I do not know the 15 year old record here but Paulo Benavides jumped 4.93 Meters just this year.

I think Adelaide brought up 5.20 and 5.30 vaulters in juniors. In the US they would be considered supperstars and given scholarships in any university. FYI Pdaddy
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:14 pm

agapit wrote:
PVDaddy wrote:It was never my intent to make it a competition Altius but, only to give you a perspective on how well your kids in Adelaide are doing!

I think Adelaide brought up 5.20 and 5.30 vaulters in juniors. In the US they would be considered supperstars and given scholarships in any university. FYI Pdaddy

Max Tarasov jumped 5.40 at 16, so what?

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:30 pm

If you did not know, Mr. Launder's contribution to pole vault worldwide is enormous! Crystalizing modern ideas and presenting it in a teachable form, is one of the outstanding achievement of Mr. Launder as well. This man understands the event to the depths that most not even aware exist, so I would be a lot more respectful and attentive to his opinion. This is from my personal experience friends!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:20 pm

:yes:

Kirk Bryde
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

PVDaddy
PV Follower

Unread postby PVDaddy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:54 pm

Wow! My statements are being taken way out of context! I watched both of his vaulters videos at least 3 times! I am especially impressed with their pole drops and take offs! The one boy clearly takes off outside and appears to be demonstrating many elements of a free take! Their inversions look pretty good as well! Just brought attention to the fact that there are some kid working very hard hear as well and mentioned one. Thought the comparisons might offer some perspectives. Thats it Geesh! Not surprised i'm getting bashed from a Russian and Canadian about that fact though. I know who Alan Launders is. I have his book and DVD. Somebody in need of Brownies?

PVDaddy
PV Follower

Unread postby PVDaddy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:18 am

Sorry Altius, I realize there is only one of you and how to spell your name now. I said I know who Alan Launders is and meant to say Launder. Why was I throwing paper airplanes during English class? Still haunts me today.
Your accomplishments as a pole vault coach in Australia with your very limited resources is remarkable!
Equally as remarkable is your ability to to take the complexities of the Petrov model and to simplify them in laymen terms so simple folk like me can understand it. I never miss an opportunity to read all your post. Hope to read many more.
Please keep us updated on the progress of Kurtis and Declan. They are so lucky to have such fine coaching!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:39 pm

I will say that you have one major advantage altius... it's the same as your major disadvantage: you only have one program. Here, a new vaulter must get lucky in high school to have a good coach, must then get lucky to have a good coach in college that coaches in a way similar enough for the vaulter to adapt to within 4 years, and then must usually find another coach for post-collegiate vaulting who will be able to work with their past 2 coaches' subconscious influences. In Adelaide, there is one coach and he is a great coach - the only luck involved is ending up in Adelaide!

I would wager that by percentages, you are doing much better than us because of the cohesion that young athletes experience through their careers.

The next step is obviously immersion - take a great athlete and give them the leisure and equipment to make the sport their daily "job." Of course, that is riddled with practical problems! REAL WORLD!
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:12 pm

powerplant42 wrote:I will say that you have one major advantage altius... it's the same as your major disadvantage: you only have one program. Here, a new vaulter must get lucky in high school to have a good coach, must then get lucky to have a good coach in college that coaches in a way similar enough for the vaulter to adapt to within 4 years, and then must usually find another coach for post-collegiate vaulting who will be able to work with their past 2 coaches' subconscious influences. In Adelaide, there is one coach and he is a great coach - the only luck involved is ending up in Adelaide!

I would wager that by percentages, you are doing much better than us because of the cohesion that young athletes experience through their careers.

The next step is obviously immersion - take a great athlete and give them the leisure and equipment to make the sport their daily "job." Of course, that is riddled with practical problems! REAL WORLD!

I see you point, but perhaps you have somewhat unclear understanding of the Australian system.

Most of the pole vault athletes that achieved results, for example in Adelaide, inline with world performance levels, are high school age. They are 17-18 years old 5.00-5.30 performances and if you look at Perth 16 year old girls jump ~ 4.30m.

Australia does not have as developed system in college as NCAA and NAIA has in the United States, so most athletes, unless they have achieved spectacular levels in high school, put their training on the very back burner when they go to Australian colleges, so very little trickles to post college training and if you consider the size of the population, sometimes I wonder, how they do it on the international level at all, and I am not just talking about pole vault.

So your concerns and observation about the american tri-stage system, high school - college - post college, are valid, but the assessment of Australian system is not, as far as I have experienced it.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:19 am

I see... I did have a misconception then. (REAL WORLD!) That adds another disadvantage to the system. That is very unfortunate! Is the case similar in Europe? What is being done - if anything - to fix that?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:14 am

It would take a complete reorganisation of Universities here to bring in a scholarship system - and that is not going to happen. But at least our population will reach 23 million today!!!! I am sure you wanted to know that!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”