how to have a perfect active pole drop!?!?

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: how to have a perfect active pole drop!?!?

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:06 am

grandevaulter wrote:
PVDaddy wrote: I started titled "How to run fast with the pole like Bubka does. All I got was negative feed back.

I don't think asking questions and pointing out flaws should be considered negative.

The three step plant drill points to the obvious in the arm / leg positions and the T in two in the Clymer powerpoint makes reference to this as well.

Clarification: This is not my quote - it's what PVDaddy said. I've now corrected it here, but of course I can't correct your original misquote.

In the sense that positive feedback would be if we agreed with what PVDaddy stated, I suppose negative feedback would be the opposite of that.

I suppose constructive feedback is what you're referring to Grande, and pointing out flaws would fall into that category, whereas negative feedback might be feedback that's not constructive.

At any rate, I just didn't want anyone to think that it was me that was complaining about negative feedback. :)

Kirk Bryde
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

PVDaddy
PV Follower
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, High School coach, College coach
Lifetime Best: 10.5 Ft
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Cornelius Warmerdam

Unread postby PVDaddy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:24 am

The 6 step planting drill that I created goes like this:

Stand erect with both legs lined up. Make a conscious effort to elongate your spine with emphasis of keeping your pelvis neutral, in line with your spine and legs. Hold the pole Chest height at 45 degrees. Control the pole with the thumb and forefinger with both hands.

1) As you raise (emphasis on high steps) your right knee (6th step) flare the left elbow forward with it. When you land on the foot the pole is allowed to move back behind the hip, It wants to. The bottom hand is lowered one fist length with the weight of the descending pole. It wants to.

2) As you raise the left knee (5th step) the pole is brought forward with it and makes contact with the right hip. The right shoulder is also moved forward with it. When you land on the foot the pole is allowed to move back behind the hip. The bottom hand is lowered another fist length with the weight of the descending pole.

3) As you raise your right knee (4th step) flare the left elbow forward with it. When you land on the foot the pole is allowed to move back behind the hip. The bottom hand is lowered another fist length with the weight of the descending pole and is now at is lowest point, about waist height.

4) As you raise the left knee (3rd step) the pole is brought forward with it and makes contact with the right hip. The right shoulder is also moved forward with it. When you land on the foot (3rd step) the pole must be turned over (readied for the plant) and is allowed to move back behind the hip. As the left trail leg heel comes up, the top hand comes up with it

5) As you raise the right knee (Penultimate step) the left (Bottom) hand is extended (2/3 rds) forward with it to plant the pole, while the top hand moves forward and up to temple height by the time the foot touches the ground.

6) As you raise the left knee (Plant step) the top hand moves up and forward with it and is completely extended by the time the plant foot touches the ground.

To make the drills easier to learn (Simplify) the student must be taught that with each step there is an opposite side simulation of a swinging arm, whether that be the elbow flare, the pole moving forward with hip contact, the flaring forward of the right shoulder, the extension forward of the bottom hand to plant the pole in the box or the movement of the top hand up and forward at plant . They are also taught and understand that with each foot contact the pole must be allowed to move back behind the hip. To further simplify it, they are taught that the 6th, 5th and 4th steps are virtually the same. They quickly and easily learn these steps by just running with the pole this way. When the pole gets to a 45 degree angle they just let the hand drop a fist length each time the foot touches the ground with the weight of the descending pole. They learn that this must begin at their mid mark.

After they learn this it now is just a matter of concentrating on the last 3 steps. We do this slowly, over and over again ad nauseaum until it is PERFECTED in slow motion. Every day! The most important drill we do! Were the vault is born! When they get it down we put the whole thing together (Runway only) planting on a towel. The pace is picked up until it becomes intuitive and they can do it full speed in a real vault.
Every jot and every tittle adds up to more than just a little.

PVDaddy
PV Follower

Unread postby PVDaddy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:34 am

Seriously Kirk? Kirk:
In the sense that positive feedback would be if we agreed with what PVDaddy stated, I suppose negative feedback would be the opposite of that.

Not even close, I am very open to to honest constructive feed back. I don't appreciate you claiming you know how I think or taking me out of context by my meaning.

Since you brought that up, here is your actual post from the thread I started on how Bubka runs fast with the pole (Minus all the dazed and confused faces you had after every statement.

I agree with Clymer's 8 points - classic Tellez running technique. This is the technique that Shannon taught me too.

But after that, you lose me ...

PVDaddy wrote:
... the pole contacts his hip to reduce its large forward inertia ...

Really? He's holding the pole against his hip? Is this by intent? And again, why is this necessary?

Kirk, I never said he was holding the pole against his hip!

PVDaddy wrote:
... he swingss the shoulder's forward through the sternum and shoulder joints ...

Really? His shoulders are "swinging" forwards? Does he ever swing them backwards? Is his sternum swinging too?

PVDaddy wrote:
... the hands, or the simulation of the hands (whether it be the pole contacting the hips, the shoulders or the non-pole side elbow) all move ...

Really?

So the "pole contacting the hips" is simulating the hands?

And the "shoulders" are simulating the hands?

I agree that the "non-pole side elbow" moves on that side. At least we agree on something. But the shoulder too? And is this by intent, or a natural consequence of him running down the runway?

Funny that no one else noticed these extraordinary nuances. You must have better eyes than the rest of us.

Kirk Bryde

Yes Kirk, I don't think that you are opening your eyes or mind to much of what I have to say but seem most driven on finding spelling errors or other petty or untruthful assumptions in my meaning. I challenge you to look at my previous post about how I train my vaulters in the 6 step planting drill I created and LOOK for all of " the simulations of the swinging arm in the vault "that I have coined and have been trying to promote, starting at frame 24:04. It will take some careful viewing but maybe your eyesight and respect for this truth will improve? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e1q_59KHBM

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:10 am

"I challenge you to look at my previous post about how I train my vaulters in the 6 step planting drill I created."

Unfortunately I have not got the time to study the "6 step planting drill that you have created" but I would observe that we have been using our version of a six step planting drill for many years in Adelaide. But tell me how you connect that phase to the full run up.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

PVDaddy
PV Follower

Unread postby PVDaddy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:58 am

Altius:
Unfortunately I have not got the time to study the "6 step planting drill that you have created" but I would observe that we have been using our version of a six step planting drill for many years in Adelaide. But tell me how you connect that phase to the full run up.

Tell me your version of the 6 step planting drill you use in Adelaide?

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:51 pm

Now why should I do that old son -your version would be far superior to mine!

PVDaddy
PV Follower

Unread postby PVDaddy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:19 am

How do you know if you haven't read it?
I just developed the drill. First PV drill I ever developed or tried!
I Just started using it with the boys and girls. Have only had two practices with it. It's
It's going to get interesting!
Any pointers are always welcome Altius!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:16 pm

Well for some reason I have the feeling that you value your own experience above all else, so your two practices will have a greater impact on your thinking than the millions of repetitions my youngsters have done over the years. I also don't want to get into what would appear to be an inevitable debate over the superiority of your methods and ideas over those of other coaches. I just don't have the time for this - however I would be interested to see film of your athletes jumping in competition and applying your ideas. :yes:

PVDaddy
PV Follower

Unread postby PVDaddy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Well that's unfortunate. If you have a 6 step drill that has been successful it would be nice if you shared it! If not for me how about others? No body else has described one so I had to develop one. You already know I firmly believe in the benefit of having one and doing it! Yet you wont share your thoughts with me about what you emphasize? You suggested that I put my thoughts into practice so I have, on a totally volunteer effort? I will compare your drill to mine to see were I could improve my own, that's it! I will not debate with you which one is better ok? Just want to help some kids out.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:38 pm

Come, with some of your athletes, to one of the clinics I will be leading in the US in June/July and you will see how I teach this, and other aspects of the vault. Just possibly you might learn something of use in your coaching. Its even possible that you might teach me something.

PVDaddy
PV Follower

Unread postby PVDaddy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:28 pm

Oh I'm sure i will learn plenty! Going to be in Scotland in June. Whats your closest clinic to Michigan In July?

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”