step by step of a flawless vault

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
Dallas.adtr
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current highschool
Lifetime Best: 15'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lazaro Borges

step by step of a flawless vault

Unread postby Dallas.adtr » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:05 am

Hey everyone, I just read a post about the the pole drop and it included about three or four steps saying something like
1. the pole starts nearly vertical and continously moves down during the run
2. The pole is controlled by the back hand while the front stays with the elbow down below the pole near with the hand at the middle of the chest.
Etc. (Can't remember exactly what was written)
Although all of that was simple stuff that I already did it was helpful to see them in the form written in the post. Would anybody be willing to write what you do step by step in a perfect vault. I'm in high school and have been jumping around 15' & have found that when I think that (for example) before I plant I should think as I vault to "1. Jump 2. Start moving my hands forward while driving my knee 3. Whip my leg and open the door. Etc. I can usually fix and become more consistant with doing it the right way with one or two steps per practice. If anyone wants to write down the steps that they run through their heads or the steps they coach to perform as close to a perfect vault as possible please do!
Thank you so much you guys are the best!

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: step by step of a flawless vault

Unread postby CoachEric » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:16 am

Here you go. http://artofthevault.com/articles/the-p ... ole-vault/

While this seems to be the kind of thing you're looking for, this probably isn't what you need. Find a coach that can help you identify your specific areas for improvement, and focus on those. You can post video on this site in the video review section.

Dallas.adtr
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current highschool
Lifetime Best: 15'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Lazaro Borges

Unread postby Dallas.adtr » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:11 pm

Thanks!

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:21 pm

If you are over 14' 6" in high school, you must have some decent coaching or you're a gifted athlete. Picking and choosing dribs and drabs off the internet for the holy grail is not advisable. The "Continuous Chain" by Agapit may give you a greater understanding of how the pieces work. May be the greatest modern short paper written about the vault.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”