Benefits of an "under" step

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
VAVAULTER
PV Nerd
Expertise: College coach for 10 years.
Lifetime Best: 17'(5.20)
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby VAVAULTER » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:24 pm

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG.

Both of you have good insight on the take and loading the pole. Now what i would like to talk about is the vaulter and what works best for him or her. I naturally did not have a penultimate step but it worked well for me. i know some vaulters that i have seen have used them and it worked for them. but just because some one uses it or does not use it, does not mean that they will or will not jump 19ft.
It all has to do with your situation and your ability. I have seen some of the best take-offs from some of the shortest and not as talented athletes.

Now LoJo could take off well cause he was strong but he also had the flexibility in his shoulders to pretty much take a med ball over his head and touch his but. So that being said, for him, he could be inside and still be able to take off well and still be able to get his trail leg back far enough to have a good trail leg and load the pole in the best way possible for him and his technique.
Both of you guys study the vault very well and if both of you got together and shared info and tried to find better ways to vault i think you guys would become professors of the vault.

Good Luck to the both of you.
Love Life, Live Life, Be Happy!!!!!

mikepv1
Muahahahaha!!

Unread postby mikepv1 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:36 pm

VaultNinja wrote:I got a whole bunch of data last night. Unfortunately my coach is a genius but didn't write up any explaination how he chose control groups and made his calulations. It is very brilliant, but I want to try to type something up explaining how he did it, otherwise the numbers won't make sense just looking at them. I'll get working on it tonight when I get home.

Sweet a**.

Hey VAVAULTER, the argument was just a misunderstanding, and we are going to share info. (By the way, thanks for the compliments. :D You rock!)

^VaultNinja is taking the raw data and calculations from his coach and organizing them. It will be pretty cool to see the results when he gets done.
"For a few seconds, it is as if you are a bird."
-Sergei Bubka

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:51 pm

Yep
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

THE DATA IS UP

Unread postby VaultNinja » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:41 pm

Hey Everyone, sorry for the delay. I haven't done the write-up with the explanation yet, but I did post Daves Explanation. I figured I was lagging so I just posted some stuff to keep the wolves at bay. I will type something else up when i get some more time. Been awhile since I publised anything online getting pretty rusty.

Make sure you read the word document before looking at the numbers as they will not make any sense. I'm sure you will all have questions, so post them on this thread for everyone to see as some questions may be the same and I will answer the best I can. Enjoy the numbers. Paul

Here you go......
http://myweb.cableone.net/RITCHFIELD/Po ... rtfish.htm
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

AeroVault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.95m

Unread postby AeroVault » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:45 pm

Very interesting study. It answered my questions about some of the differences and correlation of step location. It appears that a main factor in making height is driving through the pole, ie having a good departure angle. Differences in step are not noticed as much as long as the vaulter gets to the same position upon leaving the ground.

Those exhibiting a more free take off (positive C angle) seemed to have more problem with inversion and extension mechanics (negative correlation).

This is what I originally noticed, and why I posted the thread. I've also seen that the good side of the trade off is the ability to load bigger poles. This benefit of a more free takeoff seems to be favored (and more efficient) over the better version angle.

Thanks again for the study info.

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:50 pm

i may sound dum but i really dont know how to read that stuff maby i am just to lazy and missed something but it looks really complicated and i have a short attention span.
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

munsoned
PV Wannabe

under step??

Unread postby munsoned » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:48 pm

You should be at least up on the top of your toe before the pole hits the box. There should be very little bend in your pole before leaving the ground. You need to take off on top of your takeoff foot.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”