Benefits of an "under" step

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
AeroVault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.95m

Benefits of an "under" step

Unread postby AeroVault » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:33 pm

I am a vaulter who has always had a step 6 inches or more in front of my top hand. After watching some film, I see that I'm not alone (Ecker, Johnson, even Bubka on some jumps). I'm pretty familiar with the energy storage in the pole and am wondering if more energy can be loaded, on longer poles too, if a vaulter is still in contact with the ground as a pole is bending.
Last edited by AeroVault on Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:49 pm

good question i to seam to have this probublem with being under. and i would like to know how bad it really is to still be on the ground when the pole starts to bend.
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

APKpolevaulter
PV Nerd

Unread postby APKpolevaulter » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:03 pm

i dont think its good. you can mess up your leg that way and you back. and usually if your under, you dont get that good drive on the pole. it usually just yanks you back right away.

that is a problem with johnson, and i dont think bubka did that consistently, but everyone does it sometimes.
<--Mike. 2004 Florida AAU State Champion

*FASTER~STRONGER~HIGHER*

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:32 pm

Being under definetely puts you closer to the cross bar, but I think the energy losses outweigh the benefits. I honestly don't believe that it is a thing that will dramatically improve jumping either (especially being only 6' under!) But in the big picture, every little thing you can do better counts, and depending on the style of the vaulter, being dead on usually makes it alot easier to vault.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:58 pm

johnson and bubka are not 6 inches under! Bubka is usually 6 inches outside if anything. Your step has to do a lot with posture but being 6 inches under is not good and you will lose energy. It may feel comfortable but it doesnt mean it is right. This is my belief but I feel there is about a 6 inch zone for where your step should be, 3 in under to 3 inch out. Of course this all depends on your posture but I believe you should be on your toes when your pole begins to bend.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

uconnvaulta
PV Whiz

Unread postby uconnvaulta » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:08 am

gotta love that lower back pain, thats what i benefitted from having an under step
Train Harder than your competition

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:16 am

APKpolevaulter wrote:i dont think its good. you can mess up your leg that way and you back. and usually if your under, you dont get that good drive on the pole. it usually just yanks you back right away.

that is a problem with johnson, and i dont think bubka did that consistently, but everyone does it sometimes.

I agree. the Bubka/Petrov technique starts with a plant thats outside, In many of his jumps you see him off the ground before the pole is in the back of the box, so no energy is lost in the ground,
Ive also messed up my shoulder pretty good from taking off under.
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Re: Benefits of an "under" step

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:58 am

AeroVault wrote:I am a vaulter who has always had a step 6 inches or more in front of my top hand. After watching some film, I see that I'm not alone (Ecker, Johnson, even Bubka). I'm pretty familiar with the energy storage in the pole and am wondering if more energy can be loaded, on longer poles too, if a vaulter is still in contact with the ground as a pole is bending.

I would have to say no. I'm no where near a professional at all. All I know is that I keep hearing FREE TAKEOFF and how it can be achieved. Being 6" under isn't going to help that. One of my coaches told me how Petrov kept stressing free take off. I think I'm going to have to belive him.

Vault&Flip
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:02 am

[quote="KYLE ELLIS"]johnson and bubka are not 6 inches under! quote]

bubka no...johnson, quite possibly. I've seen lots of video of him having to work a take off after getting sort of ripped.

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:09 am

something to keep in mind is that what works for bubka wont necessarily work for work for you or me

which brings up a question...

...how many bubka's do you think bubka could do?

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:46 am

good question i have wondered that many a time my self.
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Lo

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:26 pm

Lo has change his take off completely after working with Batcharnakof. He is no longer under at all.
If your pole is bending before your foot begins to move vertically, then the energy you have developed during your run up is being drained into the ground. Rather than moving your pole toward the pit as you take off, your pole will actually move the wrong way andyou'll have to overcome the loss of energy through brute strength. That's how Lo used to do it.....but he's a BRUTE!

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”