Benefits of an "under" step

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
Vault&Flip
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach

Re: Lo

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:46 pm

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:Lo has change his take off completely after working with Batcharnakof. He is no longer under at all.
If your pole is bending before your foot begins to move vertically, then the energy you have developed during your run up is being drained into the ground. Rather than moving your pole toward the pit as you take off, your pole will actually move the wrong way andyou'll have to overcome the loss of energy through brute strength. That's how Lo used to do it.....but he's a BRUTE!

My old high school coach has footage of LoJo vaulting for the first time at a clinic he put on..you could tell he was going to be good even then, also have footage of him setting the VA state record, man he was a Brute, there should be no doubt about that. Is he still injured, or didn't he have shoulder problems or something? Or am I making this up?

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:06 pm

I find it very hard to take off at all when under. I don't understand how people do it all the time. if you want an out step why not just mover you step OUT a little bit or just slam ur last foot DOWN instead of reaching it infront of you. If you want an understep do just the oppisit

Vault&Flip
PV Pro

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:10 pm

saraf wrote:I find it very hard to take off at all when under. I don't understand how people do it all the time. if you want an out step why not just mover you step OUT a little bit or just slam ur last foot DOWN instead of reaching it infront of you. If you want an understep do just the oppisit

the problem is people become accustomed to taking off under and then think that it is correct. If they have always taken off outside, then they might have the problem of not being able to take off when under (which is an ok problem to have, given its not just like 2 inches under). It's just psychological for a lot of kids. The majority of the time moving the step out doesn't help because then (for a lot of high schoolers) they will reach and continue to take off under. I like to tell kids to lengthen there stride at the beginning of their run that way they don't feel like they need to compensate at the end and overstride. Instead, it feels natural to step down. Works for me anyway.

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:30 pm

i think i am going to have to agree

PVJESS08
PV Whiz

Unread postby PVJESS08 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:53 pm

I don't think being under has any benefits (for me anyway) cause it really hurts my lower back and bothers my shoulder. Plus when I'm under it really sucks my hips under and slows down my swing.

Bonevt
PV Whiz

Unread postby Bonevt » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:55 pm

From all of the things that I have read I don't think that petrov is lieing I am almost completly sure that Bubka "tries" to use the free takeoff. If you see a video of him jumping its probably just because his run was off a little and his step ended up being in. Remember he jumped for over ten years thats a lot of jumps not all of them are perfect.

AeroVault
PV Nerd
Lifetime Best: 4.95m

Unread postby AeroVault » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:30 pm

I agree that Bubka really pushed for the free takeoff, it may have just been some jumps that his step was off. However, Ecker is consistently under, and still made 6.00m.

Some posts have said that energy is drained into the ground... I'm confused by this. For the pole to be bending, it means energy is being stored in it. As soon as you leave the ground you are going to slow down because your energy goes into the pole. You don't slow down MORE if you are still touching the ground. Is the energy loss from a bend in the wrong direction? Can slightly rotating the pole in your grip fix this? I just haven't seen the pole moving in a disadvantageous way on the takeoff.

If you still have a strong knee drive, stay tall on the plant, and JUMP while taking off, you will not only get into the same position upon takeoff, but load the pole more, have a longer reverse C, and deeper penetration. I think it puts more strain on the lower back and shoulders because it does stretch the body into a deeper reverse C, something it's not used to on the free takeoff.

Unless there's a true energy loss from the under takeoff (any more specifics on this would be great) it seems that the disadvantages can be fixed with a proper plant, and the benefits have the potential to get vaulters on some really big poles.

VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultBrad » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:37 pm

i believe in the free take off completely. when i do actually achieve the free take off i have my best jumps and jump on bigger poles. taking off under has no benefits.

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:16 am

Taking off under also restricts the length of your swing. Being under means your legs and hips start off further forward thus reducing the amount of swing you can actually use to "load" the pole. Not to mention it really does a number on the body. I think experts and professionals around the world would agree that taking off under is definitely Not the best way to vault.

If you're going to mess with the location of your take-off step, try working the free takeoff approach. Taking off outside a few inches will increase the amount of swing available, increase the take-off angle, decrease the distance the pole needs to go to get to vertical.....all key advantages to getting on BIG poles!!

The energy loss in the "under" takeoff comes in the decreased swing, decreased take-off angle, and you actually increase the time you are in the air (distance the pole needs to go to get to vertical).

I've fixed a notorious under take-off on my own approach, and actually achieved a free-takeoff on a few occasions. Believe me when you hit one, the difference will be astronomical. The power that a free-takeoff gives you is incredible.
"Heart"

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:08 pm

Is there a video somewhere on the web that demonstrates the "free" take off vs the "under" take off? I'm visualizing the differences. Thanks.......Mike

wurster490
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 5.51m

Unread postby wurster490 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:14 pm

I used to have many problems with taking off under, one thing that my coach did was put a shirt of mine where I was taking off, and I wasnt to touch it. It helped me out a little bit. What helped even more in the last month or so was what I did in warm up/ technique drills. Simple 4stride/step(dont know what you wanna call them) takeoffs with a straight pole. By learning to takeoff outside, it made me much more comfortable on my 14step approach, and I am yet to try anything longer this season.

Taking off inside is also a comfort thing, sometimes when the box feels too far out on your last couple of steps you lengthen your strides, which will usually put you back inside, where if it is a little close you know that you will have no problems and fun through consistantly...until you land on the mat and feel the pain in your shoulder/lower back/ and for me, my takeoff knee. Last year holding the same spot on my 16'1 pole I was taking off at 12'6 or so, this year I am taking off at 13'6 ish, as a result I went from using a 17.8 flex to a 17.2 flex pole no problem. Might try a 16.8 this weekend. Goodluck with the takeoff, "free takeoffs" the way to go.

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:05 pm

souleman wrote:Is there a video somewhere on the web that demonstrates the "free" take off vs the "under" take off? I'm visualizing the differences. Thanks.......Mike

watch dimitri markovs 595 jump on www.stabhochsprung.com this is a good example of a free takeoff...as for an under one, pretty much name a jump...if the vaulters toes are on the ground and the pole is bent at all...they're under
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”