Steps vs. Strides

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.

how do you quote your approach

Poll ended at Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:43 pm

in "strides"
15%
in "lefts"(rights if you are weird)
62%
in "steps" 1 step = 2 strides
10%
i just give a number with no explanation
8%
who cares?
3%
what are you talking about?
3%

Total votes: 39

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:32 pm

Vault&Flip wrote:
Robert schmitt wrote:
59'9...only in my dreams could I make it remotely near the pit running 4.5 lefts.

A few years ago I came to the realization I might be overstriding when I was running 4.5 lefts from 63'6' :eek: I also shortened my 6.5 left approach from 94' to 86'9".
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

AeroVault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.95m

Unread postby AeroVault » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:38 pm

I suppose a right handed vaulter could start with their left foot. They'd then have one less right than left. Saying lefts or rights is just easier because you know exactly what the vaulter is talking about (and whether they are right or left handed!).

Vault&Flip
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:49 pm

Robert schmitt wrote:
Vault&Flip wrote:
Robert schmitt wrote:
59'9...only in my dreams could I make it remotely near the pit running 4.5 lefts.

A few years ago I came to the realization I might be overstriding when I was running 4.5 lefts from 63'6' :eek: I also shortened my 6.5 left approach from 94' to 86'9".

Well I'm assuming you are considerably taller than I am. Since I'm only 5'6, I have no problem running 5 left starting on my right foot from 56 or so..but I am short ;)

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:29 pm

I'm 6'2"
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:01 am

I run from 6 rights, but you know what, I also run 6 lefts. 12 steps, 6 strides. All the same damn thing - just semantics.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:14 pm

So I have another question that's kinda related to this topic. Are vaulters coached to run lateraly, (in other words longer strides, knees lower, momentum and movement forward) or is it still like in my day, shorter stride with knees pumping up and down more. It probably won't matter to me when I start jumping again cause I'll probably do it the way I always did (ya know, the ol' dog new tricks thing) but I was just wonderin'. Thanks and later...........Mike

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:42 pm

souleman wrote:So I have another question that's kinda related to this topic. Are vaulters coached to run lateraly, (in other words longer strides, knees lower, momentum and movement forward) or is it still like in my day, shorter stride with knees pumping up and down more. It probably won't matter to me when I start jumping again cause I'll probably do it the way I always did (ya know, the ol' dog new tricks thing) but I was just wonderin'. Thanks and later...........Mike

It all depends on the coach. One nationally regarded collegiate coach teaches "pulling" down the runway, reaching the step out in front and pulling or pawing back on it, long strides emphasizing loading the hamstring. Another teaches "pushing" down the runway, your toe hitting the track directly under your knee and pushing down and back against the track, emphasizing the quads more. I teach the second method.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:24 am

souleman wrote:Ok, I used to start my runs about 110' back of the box. Figuring that my stride was roughly 6 feet means that my steps were roughly 9 lefts?Mike

Don't forget to subtract the distance your take off foot is back from the box before you do your calculation. For example if your take off is from 11 feet out, your run would be 110-11=99 feet which would make your run closer to 8 lefts.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”