Russian Style Pole Vaulting..

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultBrad » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:32 pm

howdo you mean squashing? like overbending due to a too far outside takeoff/ not jumping? or squashing as in blowing through the pole?

just curious

Vault&Flip
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:10 pm

I think he means that most people jump onto the pole and cause a really low, not very usable bend.
Last edited by Vault&Flip on Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:17 pm

hmmm mby that is another one of my many probublems :D
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:54 am

OAKPV2004 wrote:I think a free takeoff leads to squashing the pole..in most cases.

Not if you do it right.

Most of you guys are confusing a free takeoff with being OUT. They are not the same thing.

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Calling it a free take off is misleading

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:14 am

Calling it a free take off is misleading sounds like off the ground no power into the swing.

a free take off should be a jumping effort at the take off or slightly before only in inches not 6 inches out and at an angle not to load the pole but to load the swing of the vaulter that in turn loads the pole from the swing at a later time in the vault so that the vaulter is progressing ahead of the pole to blend later. Yes you do see world class USA athletes 12 to 18" under. Most do that to get on bigger poles and that was the old school habit caused by being on too big of a pole with too high of a handgrip.
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

Vault&Flip
PV Pro

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:11 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
OAKPV2004 wrote:I think a free takeoff leads to squashing the pole..in most cases.

Not if you do it right.

Most of you guys are confusing a free takeoff with being OUT. They are not the same thing.

I have not met many people who do it "RIGHT."

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:15 pm

Vault&Flip wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote:

Not if you do it right.

Thats because you probably have not met many world class vaulters from Europe, we don't find much use for it here in the states.
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

Vault&Flip
PV Pro

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:11 pm

VaultNinja wrote:
Vault&Flip wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote:

Not if you do it right.

Thats because you probably have not met many world class vaulters from Europe, we don't find much use for it here in the states.

hah. you have a point.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:47 am

Im sorry folks - but Petrov detailed the major elements of the more effective technical model for pole vaulting in 1985 and Bubka, Tarasov, Markov, Gibilisco, Isinbyeva, Feofanova among other world class vaulters have demonstrated its effectiveness since then. Ask Nick Hysong's dad what he thinks by the way!

Petrovs approach was and is the first attempt to create a technical model using the scientific method. But if you want to ignore it you are quite at liberty to do so of course -after all you live in the land of the free. You are also free to kill yourself by taking of under and compressing the pole before you have left the ground!

Of course it is true that to Jump like Bubka you have to be a Bubka, However the facts are clear - females jumping 3.80 can and have mastered elements of the Bubka model - and why shouldnt they be able to?

Incidentally if a prejump squashes the pole how is it that Bubka,Tarasov and Markov -the three highest jumpers in history- had completely straight poles an instant after take off on most of their jumps?
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:01 am

"Ignoring the Petrov model will condemn you to mediocrity!"

I'm sorry but 6m and over is not mediocre, and Tim and Toby are not using the Petrov model. But you do make some valid points.
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

Vault&Flip
PV Pro

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:45 am

altius wrote:
Incidentally if a prejump squashes the pole how is it that Bubka,Tarasov and Markov -the three highest jumpers in history- had completely straight poles an instant after take off on most of their jumps?

They are all incredible athletes and can initiate the prejump and continue to travel both horizontally and upward take pressure off the pole. Many individuals squash the pole because they cannot continue to travel upward and horizontally before the pole hits the back of the box..and are instead sinking down at take off...I agree with Vault Ninja, I don't think it is for everyone, but it is an extremely good model and it clearly does produce results.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:15 pm

You are right - not many can pre jump effectively- even Bubka stated that although it was his aim on every jump -he did not always achieve it. That is why it is important to understand the difference between a pre jump and a 'free take off'. You need to be a good springer to use it - that is why long/high jump should be part of your training. However if you always take off under you will find it impossible - and you WILL be condemned to mediocrity.

Just remember that the free take or pre jump are not the only advantages of the Petrov model -which is a completely integrated approach to the vault. Go to neovault or to - beginnertobubka.com to read articles -pretty well the same article with a different title -they really explain why the petrov/bubka model is so effective. So while not all athletes can execute a prejump -they can all benefit from the other key elements of this model. I also agree with Petrov that 6.00m is just the start -if Dean Starkey has used this model he would have jumped 6.20.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”