Russian Style Pole Vaulting..

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun May 15, 2005 10:57 pm

gtc wrote:I think after I jumped off the ground I would want to continuosly try to drive the tip of the pole down thru the box during the entire jump!

Why would you focus on driving your tip down if your objective is to get your body as high as possible?
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun May 15, 2005 11:01 pm

gtc wrote:Agapit is trying to pull something out of me that I have always considered to me as one of the best kept secret's in vaulting. That was shared with me by a close friend and former world class vaulter after alot of prying!
The funny thing is when he first shared it I told him he was crazy! which is probably the reaction of most good vaulter's and coaches and one of the reason's it is not regularly accepted or discussed.

Thank you we all have our roots, aha moments and teachers. One of mine was altius 1990-1992, by the way his new book is a very valuable addition to the vault knowledge.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun May 15, 2005 11:03 pm

CrossBarHOpper wrote:i wanna hear this secret

hey it is difficult to describe it on this forum. there is a risk of being misunderstood and that can hurt people. maybe in Reno 2006 I will make a presentation.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun May 15, 2005 11:06 pm

altius wrote:You should know by now -"There is no spoon". Neither are there any 'secrets' in the pole vault - just things we do not understand as well as we would like to! What does Bubka say he tried to do immediately after take off?

What are the implications of trying to drive the tip of the pole down through the box throughout the vault? :idea:

well altius, I think I know what it is. And the thing about the spoon, it is a Neo's quote from the movie Matrix. It is as well a hint that I am not feeding anyone. But as Neo said "there is no spoon" oppening possibilities for himself so do I say to others.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun May 15, 2005 11:12 pm

agapit wrote:
altius wrote:You should know by now -"There is no spoon". Neither are there any 'secrets' in the pole vault - just things we do not understand as well as we would like to! What does Bubka say he tried to do immediately after take off?

What are the implications of trying to drive the tip of the pole down through the box throughout the vault? :idea:

well altius, I think I know what it is. And the thing about the spoon, it is a Neo's quote from the movie Matrix. It is as well a hint that I am not feeding anyone. But as Neo said "there is no spoon" oppening possibilities for himself so do I say to others.

He literally tried to get over the bar. But to understand and implement this simple intention took me several years.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon May 16, 2005 12:48 am

The problem with bloody foreigners is they dont speak our language - worse still they try to teach us our own Language. Agapit - the term 'spoon feeding' arrived in England with the Normans in 1066, probably by way of Sochi - and meant then, as it does now, that some people - usually, but not always, babies - cant feed themselves - so dont give us this Matrix c--p. :D
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

gtc
PV Whiz

Unread postby gtc » Mon May 16, 2005 10:09 am

agapit wrote:
gtc wrote:I think after I jumped off the ground I would want to continuosly try to drive the tip of the pole down thru the box during the entire jump!

Why would you focus on driving your tip down if your objective is to get your body as high as possible?

Newton's Third Law of Motion?

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon May 16, 2005 8:17 pm

Everyone please note that I was never agapit's mentor in the pole vault -it was the othe way round. However i did teach him that "When the traffic light is green you can go". i also tried to teach him "When the traffic light is red you must stop". Unfortunately he had been the driver of a T52 tank during his military service and he had never got used to the idea of stopping at anytime. So my car took a pounding when he drove it on his own - I am sure that while he had a licence to drive a tank he never got one to drive a car. :mad:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Tue May 17, 2005 10:16 am

altius wrote:The problem with bloody foreigners is they dont speak our language - worse still they try to teach us our own Language. Agapit - the term 'spoon feeding' arrived in England with the Normans in 1066, probably by way of Sochi - and meant then, as it does now, that some people - usually, but not always, babies - cant feed themselves - so dont give us this Matrix c--p. :D

very funny and informative altius thanks

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Tue May 17, 2005 10:20 am

gtc wrote:
agapit wrote:

Newton's Third Law of Motion?

I am aware of the law. However from training perspective you can get a feedback only from measuring your objective and unless you have a tenzo box (very expensive) you would not know what the box reaction is and you can not improve what you cannot measure. :)

gtc
PV Whiz

Unread postby gtc » Tue May 17, 2005 11:59 am

We can measure pole deflection. We can measure handgrip. We can measure effective pushoff and we can measure the height of the bar above the ground.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Tue May 17, 2005 1:08 pm

I'm going to contribute my thoughts to this even though I'm not directly involved in the conversation. From an engineering perspective, you want to be working on those things that can be measured and are directly related to the primary objective of the vault; jumping over a high crossbar. From the coach's and athlete's prespectives, it is often more helpful to comunication and instruction to describe the objective in non-measureable terms; trying to drive the tip of the pole down through the box throughout the vault. This assumes that when the non-measureable terms you use to coach or describe are executed, the measureable terms directly related to the objective are improved.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”