Pole Vault Library

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.

18 ft vaulter usualy runs 10.9-11.1 (100m), grips 4.65-4.80, 90cm-105cm over the grip. Can a woman do this?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:49 pm

yes
36%
no
64%

Total votes: 33

agapit
PV Follower

Pole Vault Library

Unread postby agapit » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:49 pm

Pole Vault Library
Pole Climb: The auto correcting effect.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS EXERCISE WITHOUT COACHING SUPERVISION AND APPROVAL. ALWAYS REMEMBER TO USE APPROPRIATE EQUIPMENT AND SAFE ENVIRONMENT.

In 1991-1992 I worked with Alan Launder and his group of pole vaulters in Adelaide South Australia. The group of vaulters was very diverse. Some athletes were preparing for the Barcelona Olympic Games and others were beginners girls and boys. After the Barcelona Olympic Games I immigrated to the US, but before I have left Australia we invented exercises (auto corrective exercises) that would allow young and experienced vaulters to maintain the development of the advanced vault model with the least amount of supervision.

One of the exercises “Pole Climbâ€Â

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:12 pm

If you have any video or pictures of this drill, send it my way and I will get it online. This is different from anything I have seen, and I don't think I have a good mental image of how to do it properly.

agapit
PV Follower

Simplicity

Unread postby agapit » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:19 pm

[quote="rainbowgirl28"]If you have any video or pictures of this drill, send it my way and I will get it online. This is different from anything I have seen, and I don't think I have a good mental image of how to do it properly.[/quote]

This is what is perfect about the exercise. If you can follow the simple instruction I have described you are doing it right. However, I agree video would help. I will look for it.

agapit

vaulter894
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter894 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:33 pm

I think I had a friend do this once and it looked tough, and in simple terms tell me if I am getting it, YOu do the short run and plant then as it recoils or after it recoils? then you re-grip or climb? Will the pole somewhat bend again or shouldn't it?
Go BIG or Go HOME

Erica
PV Whiz
Expertise: Olympian

Unread postby Erica » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:59 pm

Agapit-
Can you explain more about the pulling action of the left arm? In what direction are you suggesting to pull, for how long, etc.?

Bonevt
PV Whiz

Unread postby Bonevt » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:42 pm

I am somewhat confused also, what possision should you be at when you are climbing the pole? Should my feet be at the top of the pole or facing the ground?

vaulter894
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter894 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:44 pm

I think your feet are towards the ground.
Go BIG or Go HOME

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:17 am

vaulter894 wrote:I think I had a friend do this once and it looked tough, and in simple terms tell me if I am getting it, YOu do the short run and plant then as it recoils or after it recoils? then you re-grip or climb? Will the pole somewhat bend again or shouldn't it?

The competition pole would not bend. You should touch the top of the pole before landing into the pit. That should be simple enough.

agapit.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:19 am

Bonevt wrote:I am somewhat confused also, what possision should you be at when you are climbing the pole? Should my feet be at the top of the pole or facing the ground?

you are climbing with the feet down

agapit

P.S. If you can do it with the feet up you are the man(woman).

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:22 am

Erica wrote:Agapit-
Can you explain more about the pulling action of the left arm? In what direction are you suggesting to pull, for how long, etc.?

on the horizontal gymnastic bar, to pull yourself over the bar in what direction do you pull? How about the rope?

agapit

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun May 29, 2005 5:04 am

Had forgotten that exercise for the book Agapit -although we still used it.
Hope a few more folk pick it up - better that doing rock back drills!! :D
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Pole climbs

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sun May 29, 2005 1:27 pm

It has become a regular part of our practice! You have to climbe QUICKLY to be successfull in getting to the top of the pole!

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”