loss of penitration with swing

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
Enloe11
PV Beginner
Expertise: High school vaulter, current college vaulter (7 Years)
Lifetime Best: 5m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

loss of penitration with swing

Unread postby Enloe11 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:46 pm

Im just getting on to longer pole where I am having to put more and more things together to get into the pit successfully. I have been working on the ground as of late, and its getting better and better. But my swing is starting to hinder me.as soon as i start to swing the pole just slowly seems to lose momentum and then just unbends. Ill post a video ad put a link so hopefully someone can help me out.

Enloe11
PV Beginner

Re: loss of penitration with swing

Unread postby Enloe11 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:04 pm

Here is the video for analysis.

http://youtu.be/njlxfa1uq1c

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:35 pm

2 things----#1 do not block the left arm STRAIGHT(it keeps the chest from going through) keep the left arm BENT through the whole vault!! Don't really like dropping the head back (till your totally inverted) Fix those 2 things and you go a foot higher IMMEDIATELY!!!! Prove me wrong!!!!!

Enloe11
PV Beginner

Unread postby Enloe11 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:54 pm

charlie wrote:2 things----#1 do not block the left arm STRAIGHT(it keeps the chest from going through) keep the left arm BENT through the whole vault!! Don't really like dropping the head back (till your totally inverted) Fix those 2 things and you go a foot higher IMMEDIATELY!!!! Prove me wrong!!!!!

what about like my left leg on the swing? it tucks really badly does that have anything to do with it? and i thought it was good to keep your left arm straight and drive it up through the take off?

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby vquestpvc » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:56 pm

Couldn't agree more with Charlie. The swing should come through the top hand. Whenever the bottom hand comes into play it will block you from swinging over the pole.

Enloe11
PV Beginner

Unread postby Enloe11 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:12 pm

vquestpvc wrote:Couldn't agree more with Charlie. The swing should come through the top hand. Whenever the bottom hand comes into play it will block you from swinging over the pole.

so by letting my left arm bend i will drive my chest more, swing longer and faster, and end up on top of the pole?

Enloe11
PV Beginner

Unread postby Enloe11 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:16 pm

here is another video from a different day for a side by side.. possibly a differnet look

http://youtu.be/dnM7H2Nhqqg

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:37 pm

Enloe11 wrote: so by letting my left arm bend i will drive my chest more, swing longer and faster, and end up on top of the pole?

Yes! Focus on your chest --- not on your bottom arm. To swing longer and faster, you should also do lots of highbar work.

I agree with Charlie. And with Vquest.

You may have to use lighter poles while you transition from a bottom arm press to no bottom arm, but it will pay off in the long run.

The key to a good swing is good posture immediately after takeoff. When I freeze your vid to post-takeoff, I see your body slanted backwards (not forwards). So just as you should have good forwards lean (good posture) when you run, you should have a similar forwards lean post-takeoff. Let the chest drive through, rather than resisting it with the bottom arm. Don't worry, the top arm will bend the pole, due to the force generated from your run and jump.

With good body posture, you will get the kind of PR improvements that Charlie mentioned.

Re head posture, don't do anything with it --- just let it stay aligned with your spine. Some vaulters are under the misconception that if you lead with your head, your body will follow. This isn't true. Arching your neck actually causes your entire spine to arch --- just when you want the opposite to happen. During your swing, you want your spine to become hollow (the opposite of arched).

Sam Kendricks throws his head back, but that doesn't mean you should copy him, just because he's cleared 19-3 this way. I consider it one of his worst technical flaws (and at 19-3 he doesn't have many).

Good luck to you, and here's hoping for many PRs this season. Let us know how it goes.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:06 pm

Kirk must be sneaking down (way down south) in Georgia!!!! Last video was much better!!!! Birds of a feather flock together! Kirk--are you coming to Nationals? I will be there with bone on bone knee!!! I could use some help!!! Just a little!!!!

Enloe11
PV Beginner

Unread postby Enloe11 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:18 pm

KirkB wrote:
Enloe11 wrote: so by letting my left arm bend i will drive my chest more, swing longer and faster, and end up on top of the pole?

Yes! Focus on your chest --- not on your bottom arm. To swing longer and faster, you should also do lots of highbar work.

I agree with Charlie. And with Vquest.

You may have to use lighter poles while you transition from a bottom arm press to no bottom arm, but it will pay off in the long run.

The key to a good swing is good posture immediately after takeoff. When I freeze your vid to post-takeoff, I see your body slanted backwards (not forwards). So just as you should have good forwards lean (good posture) when you run, you should have a similar forwards lean post-takeoff. Let the chest drive through, rather than resisting it with the bottom arm. Don't worry, the top arm will bend the pole, due to the force generated from your run and jump.

With good body posture, you will get the kind of PR improvements that Charlie mentioned.

Re head posture, don't do anything with it --- just let it stay aligned with your spine. Some vaulters are under the misconception that if you lead with your head, your body will follow. This isn't true. Arching your neck actually causes your entire spine to arch --- just when you want the opposite to happen. During your swing, you want your spine to become hollow (the opposite of arched).

Sam Kendricks throws his head back, but that doesn't mean you should copy him, just because he's cleared 19-3 this way. I consider it one of his worst technical flaws (and at 19-3 he doesn't have many).

Good luck to you, and here's hoping for many PRs this season. Let us know how it goes.

Kirk

This video is from a few months back and I seem to be able to do what your saying on a small run with a small pole, but I figured I started going to bigger poles I had to be more ridged. So if I do this on a longer run and longer pole I should be able to move the larger poles just as well?

http://youtu.be/Dv_ZMzhWkI0

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:39 pm

Nope--Still too much BLOCK with left arm & chest cant get through!!!! That is what makes you come up SHORT!!!!

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:13 pm

Please post pole length, pole weight, and grip height. And, how much you weigh. Thanks.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”