Push Plant technique

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Push Plant technique

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:24 pm

Does it slow down your runway speed as to holding the pole more vertical?

and if there's anything different about it other than just pushing the pole on the runway... can anybody fill me in on it? like to try it out...

BigStick Club
PV Nerd

Unread postby BigStick Club » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:05 pm

Are you talking about pushing the pole on the runway - like on Becca's av?

If so, I'm glad you asked because I was wondering about this as well. I think it would probably make for a better plant, but I also think it would slow you down initially.

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:07 pm

yeah just like how Becca was doing it in her vault clip.

cougarscoach
PV Beginner

push plant vs. dropping pole

Unread postby cougarscoach » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:10 pm

There is no doubt that by pushing the pole you could avoid planting the pole late. However, the benefits of a dropping pole would be lost.

To quote Vitaly Petrov:

" . . . when increasing speed and the gradual lowering of the pole there appears an additional thrust that forces us to run more quickly with an increased stride rate . . . this is very important when passing to the take-off . . . by that device we have removed certain losses in speed associated with the pole plant, but the main thing is that we have maintained the smoothness of gathering speed up to the end of the run-up . . . no matter what the talent of your athlete, if he does not master the elements of lowering and planting the pole he will never become a top class vaulter . . . a pole vaulter is, in fact, born in the last steps of the run-up . . . the final steps are of crucial importance for a pole vaulter generally . . . if a vaulter performs the final steps correctly, i.e., with steady acceleration, the pole drop and the take-off occur very quickly and thereby create the necessary conditions for a good vault."

In other words, if performed correctly, the pole dropping action can help you to increase stride-rate and force you to run faster. A simple experiment to confirm this type of action is this: Take a heavy object and hold it straight out in front of you . . . now walk down stairs and immediately it will force you to increase your stride rate! So it is in the run-up. Pushing the pole down the track will keep you from gaining the benefit of a dropping pole.

I would suggest Alan Launder's book: "From Beginner to Bubka - An Australian Approach to Developing Pole Vaulters" - Alan does an excellent job of explaining and teaching this and providing drills etc. to properly learn and transition this into the vault.

Also, read what Agapit has written as it provides an explanation as well.
"if you wait until you are great to dream; you will never have dreamed enough to be great"

BigStick Club
PV Nerd

Unread postby BigStick Club » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:17 pm

Where is Agapit's explanation?

I've ordered BTB but I think it may be awhile before it gets here.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:18 am

I sucked at running with the pole and planting the pole, so when I push I am running faster and getting in better position at takeoff. Doesn't mean everyone will.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:25 am

Please note "She who must be obeyed" - I am not buying into this again - except by asking the questions, Did Bubka do this? Does Isinbyeva do this?
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:45 am

altius wrote:Please note "She who must be obeyed" - I am not buying into this again - except by asking the questions, Did Bubka do this? Does Isinbyeva do this?

There’s a difference though between those who are training to be professionals and maximize their ability, and those who want to get by with that they have but still challenge themselves. Even in your book you mention a Canadian coach who created Teflon tips to push the pole down the runway, though no 1 has exploited this method you left the idea open.
"what is technically desirable must be physically possible?"
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:07 pm

altius wrote:Please note "She who must be obeyed" - I am not buying into this again - except by asking the questions, Did Bubka do this? Does Isinbyeva do this?

God didn't give me the tools he gave them. I also didn't get good coaching from Day 1. I'm not training for the Olympics either. I have 1 year left of collegiate vaulting, then I will just be having fun, and hopefully doing masters when I am older.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:24 pm

I have to break my vow SWMBO - but when I discover yet another Yank - Mightymouse - who can read Oarstrayiun I cannot let it go -especially when they start quoting my own words back at me!

In our business we have to be pragmatic and go with what works - which is why I developed the concept of a 'working technical model' - in sport, thirty odd years ago. Many beginners cannot execute the advanced techniques of elite sportspeople - because .... so the idea is to strip it back to its bare bones. Throwing the hammer for example by just swinging it around your head and letting it go over your shouder instead of trying to spin and throw like the expert. The sliding wedge turn in skiing instead of parallel skiing, the dog paddle in swimming, the scissors technique in the high jump etc. However these working techniques must not be dead end techniques - ie block the athlete off from continued improvement.

If folk use the sliding pole method as a temporary measure to rebuild confidence OK, but our philosophy is to try to intoduce young athletes to as many elements of advanced technique as we can. We believe they CAN master the high carry and pole drop and marry it to an effective plant - IF - they are prepared to do simple repetitive drills and of course run up work. We have video evidence of this with 15 year ol girls who have been jumping for less than two years. If I can manage it -remember i am technologically challenged- i will try to post the video - but dont expect it anytime soon.

So if you dont think you can 'do it like Bubka', push away as much as you like -but keep an eye on the angle of the body during the plant and take off. ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:37 pm

never mind. Good post Altius.

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:43 pm

I've got a vaulter on my team that pushes it like Becca because it makes her go faster.

Right now I push the pole like it was in carry position, except push it and i just do that because It's I'm concentrating on my plant and it's easier for me to plant good when I push it like that.

If what I said sounds weird to you, just tell me or just ask me about it...I'm really out of it right now.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”